Metal Storm logo
Death (The Band) Dream Line-up

30.06.2007 - 09:30
graywolf87
Account deleted
Death has influenced countless musicians, fans and bands before and after the death of Chuck Schuldiner...Every album reflects a different era, a different unique sound only possible by the variation of musicians that collaborated and added their own touch to the evolution of Death (ex: James Murphy, Steve DiGiorgio, Gene Hoglan, Andy LaRocque, Paul Masvidal, etc...etc.)

*Here's the question, straight out of my curiosity:

...Just as in football (soccer) which (in your opinion) would be your "dream" line-up (team) out of all the musicians that are part of Death's history/discography...and why (don't explain why if you don't want to)

-Vocals/Guitar: Chuck Schuldiner (duh!)
-2nd Guitar:
-Bass:
-Drums:

___"have fun"___
30.06.2007 - 09:38
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Personaly, hate these types of threads. No one ends up explaining there choices. And its kind of stupid when the creator doesnt even do the same or complete the list...
----

Hellcunt Smurf
30.06.2007 - 10:04
graywolf87
Account deleted
take it easy first time, first topic...I try

here goes the explanation:

-2nd Guitar: James Murphy
why? everywhere he goes he makes great music, one of my favorites and innovative guitarists.

-Bass: Steve D
why? key to the explosive sound on Human and Individual T.P.

-Drums: Sean Reinert
why? he and Paul gave a little taste of jazz-fusion to death, his druming is nothing but technical.

...simple, don't want you to write a bible.
30.06.2007 - 13:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Well, lemme see:

Drums: Sean Reinert, cause he is soooo incredibly versatile it is unbelievable. Watching him at it with Cynic last Thursday made me realise that once again.

Bass: Tony Choy, same as Sean he is soo versatile he can play anything that is thrwon at him, and a great creative mind to boot.

2nd Guitar: Kelly Schaeffer. I know he doesn't play guitar live any more, But sinc ehe can still play and practice a little each day he will be able to record. So for touring I would take along either Paul Masvidal or Patrik Mameli in his place. I know that all three are regarded lead guitarists just like Chuck. Buit who says you can't have two lead guitars in a band and then alternate the rhythm parts.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.06.2007 - 15:02
Sunioj

Bass: Digorgio, the man is a god, especialy like his fretless work on Individual thought Patterns

Rick Rozz: I like the old school raw, guitar sound that this dude has played with in the first two albums..leprosy and scream bloody gore are masterpieces to me.

Richard Kristy on drums...I find his drumming to be pretty impressive on Sound of Perseverance. sorta technical intervals and with kudos to Scott Klandenin, IMO they are a large part of why SOP has that modern technical sound.
30.06.2007 - 15:45
APOHAKC
The Bard
Guitars: Stephan Gebbedi - Awesome guitarist by my opinion, great riffs and chaotic solos came from his guitar
Bass: Steve DiGiorgio - Everyone knows Steve DiGiorgio
Vocals: Erik Rundqvist - I love his vocals, brutal but not mindless like many vocalists I heard
Horgh: Well, I like his druming much
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
30.06.2007 - 17:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
@all who don't have Chuck in the line-up:

Don't you think it's odd not to have him feature in his own band?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.06.2007 - 17:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
ooops and now I see I misunderstood the question.

So ONLY people that one tiume or another played in Death;

OKay so new line-up

Guitar/Vocals: Chuck

Drums: Sean Reinert, cause he is soooo incredibly versatile it is unbelievable. Watching him at it with Cynic last Thursday made me realise that once again.

Guitar: Paul Masvidal that guys is just so great and versatile and off another planet at times.

Bass: Steve DiGiorgio, yet another jazzy/funky death thrash musician.

Yes I know this incarnation of Death will be their most esoteric eatherial jazzy technical incarnation yet.

Hahahaha and I just realized that this is the line-up that recorded Human. Whihc is probably my favourite Death album. So here comes Human II.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.06.2007 - 17:19
Sunioj

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.06.2007 at 17:06

@all who don't have Chuck in the line-up:

Don't you think it's odd not to have him feature in his own band?

yeah thats sorta true! I made the same mistake about the line up as you...I thought it was just a fantasy line thread like in the general forum and I just listed my fav musicians ov dm! That makes me wonder, how would Chuck work with Trey Azgthoth, Wojtek from Luciferion, and Derek Roddy?
30.06.2007 - 17:19
APOHAKC
The Bard
HAHAHA what kind of idiot am I? LOL
I missed orginal post and I thought it is ideal Death Metal line up
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
30.06.2007 - 17:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
to minimise future confusion I edited the topic title a little.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.06.2007 - 17:24
Trifixion
Account deleted
Hmm...

Guitars/Vocals- Chuck
Guitars- Paul Masvidal- He did great stuff on Human which I think contained some of Death's most creative stuff.
Bass- Steve DiGiorgio- Who else can you pick here, Steve is an amazing bassist. He uses a fretless and I'm sure that's not easy.
Drums- Richard Christy- Great on the drums...listen to him on TSOP, he's ALL over the place and disturbingly technical.
30.07.2007 - 20:04
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.06.2007 at 17:12

OKay so new line-up

Guitar/Vocals: Chuck

Guitar: Paul Masvidal that guys is just so great and versatile and off another planet at times.

Bass: Steve DiGiorgio, yet another jazzy/funky death thrash musician.

Hahahaha and I just realized that this is the line-up that recorded Human. Whihc is probably my favourite Death album. So here comes Human II.

It would be much the same for me. Gene Hoglan's drumming is exceptionnal, but I think it fits more with SYL than with Death.
But I'll also add a guest guitarist on, say, 2 songs : Andy LaRocque, because, his soloes are so melodic (remember Individual Thought Patterns) that he must appear on the ultimate Death line-up.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
11.09.2007 - 20:03
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Hmm... Listen:

Chuck of course, on his vocal/main guitar duties,

2nd guitar: This is hard because I dont know actually how much and where other guitarists contributed to writing Death's music, but Ill choose Masvidal... If he wrote that crazy little solo in Lack of Comprehension, Ill definitely chose him.

Bass: Steve DiGiorgio of course, he is my favourite bassist, not just of Death, I havent heard better bassist in my life, especially because of his fretless bass work,

Drums: Gene Hoglan - Hes damn crazy, what else to say
----
07.01.2008 - 17:52
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted

I second that, the line-up on Human is incredible.
07.01.2008 - 22:31
totaliteraliter

Vocals: Kam Lee (Way better than Chuck, no contest in terms of power and atmosphere)
Guitar: Andy LaRocque (The most tasteful and defined in terms of style that the band ever saw, I think)
Bass: Chuck Schuldiner (Just because I'd hate to kick him out of his own band...as long as we keep him away from the lyrics)
Drums: Chris Reifert (Why not? Keep it old school and straightforward)
03.03.2009 - 23:38
WITCHCLAN

Chuck - Vox/guitar
Chris Reifert - Drums
James Murphy - Lead
Steve Digidorio - Bass

Chuck obviously has to be in the line up, goes without saying. Chris because he would add that old skool style of drumming and was great on Scream Bloody Gore.
James Murphy because he is one of the finest Death Metal guitarists of all time, technical and musically tight and Steve on Bass because his style of bass playing is so unique and distinctive, there is no other player like him.
Long live the memory of Death and RIP Chuck, a legend by far.
----
Pre-order the new Witchclan demo now at www.witchclan.co.uk - release date 1st September 2010.
04.03.2009 - 01:30
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Chuck- Guitar and vocals, because death isn't death without Chuck.
Richard Christy- Really impressive drummer, his intro on "Scavenger of Human sorrow" is captivating and he holds a wide range of capabilities in his grasp.
Steve DiGiorgo- One of the best Metal Bassists out there, he has a really awsome fretless sound, and can play damn near anything you throw in his direction
Andy LaRoque- Come on, King Diamond's guitarist with the great Chuck Schuldiner. He's also an amazingly talented musican. Plain and simple.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.03.2009 - 05:13
Metal_Militia

The Human line up plain and simple

Chuck is Chuck, i mean need i say more?
Steve because he's one of the best metal bassist ever and was a perfect fit for Death based on how he played (and he plays a fretless )
Paul and Sean because of their amazing diversity and technical skills
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

07.03.2009 - 03:42
Endoftherainbow

Chuck Schuldiner - no need to explain this choice
Andy LaRoque - if he had done more then one album with death im sure people would give him more credit but he's played some of the best solos ive ever heard especially on the king diamond
Steve DiGiorgo - hands down one of my favourite bass players none of the other bass players in death touched anything he did
Sean Reinert - had he been with death later on in there career he would be there most respected drummer.
07.03.2009 - 10:20
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Chuck - Vox/Guitars
Rand Burkey - Guitars from Atheist...great crazy ass death metal/jazz guitarist who would really do good doing Death...
Tony Choy - Bassist from Atheist....could easily do all the crazy shit DiGiogo did in death and he's so inventive in his bass chops...
Bobby Jarzombek - Drummer from Spastic Ink - I wish I didn't have to introduce this guy...drummer mastermind in Spastic Ink...easily the best or one of the best technical progressive metal drummers ever...he would go above and beyond I'm sure doing any Death song on drums...
12.03.2009 - 17:16
HarmonyCorruptio

Guitar/Vocals - Chuck Schuldiner (Obviously)
Guitar - Matt Olivio
Bass - Scott Carlson
Drums - Chris Reifert

Merge the two early line-ups for an awesome one, taking the ever volatile Kam out of the equation. Get Carlson and Reifert on backing vocals and you would be uber-sorted.
16.03.2009 - 00:56
ToMegaTherion

Using musicians that were in Death at some point here is my list.

Schuldner - Vocals, Guitars
James Murphy - Guitars
Steve DiGorgio - Bass
Richard Christy - Drums

I think that would be the best lineup of any potention Death metal band not just Death.
14.10.2009 - 07:58
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
The dream lineup is the HUMAN lineup plus Andy Laroque...THE END....toss up between sean and gene is apparent but in the end they are both equally badass....
26.02.2010 - 04:25
sasquatch

Dream team Death line-up (or just general awesomeness lineup)

Shuldiner- lead vocals, guitar
obvious choice, he's basically god
Brann Dailor-drums
people will either a)wonder who that is or b)wonder why i picked him. He's the drummer from Mastodon, a progressive sludge metal band. Instead of the normal drumming style, he uses a lot of fill with his wide arrangement of tom tom's (has about 6)
Devin Townsend - backing vocals, guitar
he would add an aspect that chuck never really used, the wall of sound. Also, a very achieved producer. So a two in one deal.
Roger Patterson- bass
The original bassist to Atheist before he died sadly. Very jazz influenced style of play and again, could add a new aspect to the Death sound.
26.02.2010 - 05:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
ooops and now I see I misunderstood the question.

I was just about to ask if Tony Choy had ever played with Death, because I don't ever remember him doing so.

Here is my line up: (Im not even going to list Chuck, as that is only obvious that he'd be in it!)

Guitar - James Murphy (his lead duels with Chuck on ''Spiritual Healing" just blow me away every time I hear them.)

Drums - Richard Christy (I was struggling to decide between Sean and Gene, but then realised Richard is like a combination of the two, so picked him instead! )

Bass - Steve Digiorgio (this was a very easy choice. His playing on "Individual Thought Patterns" is probably my fave bass performance on any album. He's just a total beast!)
17.08.2011 - 21:56
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Definitely the lineup on Human. Why? Top Notch musicians.
03.09.2011 - 02:14
KMR

Chuck Shuldiner and.. whatever.

Every line-up of Death was special, other musicians were only different spice on your favourite dice. Even when Chuck had almost full proof of concept on album other musicians were the great contrubitians to the history of metal, we got more Music.
----
Nothing is sacred.
03.12.2020 - 05:26
Zopilote

Chuck: vocals/rhythm guitar
Gene Hoglan: drums
Steve DiGiorgio: Bass
James Murphy: lead guitar
02.01.2021 - 18:54
JavierPaper

All the members of each lineup are great