07. The Greater Good
08. Experiment [Voivod cover] [bonus]
09. Happy Home [The Residents cover] [bonus]

Additional info
Artwork by Zbigniew M. Bielak.

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
Imperial Triumphant may have very well become one of my absolute favorite Avant-garde bands of the past ten years.

Read more ››
published 01.08.2020 | Comments (16)

Found in 27 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 40   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 451 users
09.04.2020 - 10:31
JHNxNLSSN
Account deleted
09.04.2020 - 12:02
Rating: 9
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Something tells me this may not actually have anything to do with the synthpop band.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
09.04.2020 - 22:10
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by RaduP on 09.04.2020 at 12:02

Something tells me this may not actually have anything to do with the synthpop band.

Something tells me this may have everything to do with the movie.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.04.2020 - 04:02
mz
Since when they are a death metal band?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
27.04.2020 - 14:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by mz on 15.04.2020 at 04:02

Since when they are a death metal band?

I tagged them as that. I see them being labeled as black metal a lot of the time and that's just inaccurate. Core is a lot more death than BM. I'd be open to dropping that though and just having them as "Avantgarde metal," but that's it
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
27.04.2020 - 20:46
mz
Written by Auntie Sahar on 27.04.2020 at 14:25

I tagged them as that. I see them being labeled as black metal a lot of the time and that's just inaccurate. Core is a lot more death than BM. I'd be open to dropping that though and just having them as "Avantgarde metal," but that's it

I disagree. I find almost 0 DM in their sound.
----
29.04.2020 - 21:59
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
A Voivod cover too? Hot damn, can't wait to hear their take on that.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.07.2020 - 13:05
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
New song

17.07.2020 - 09:47
And yet another song. Feels even more "avantgarde" than the ones that were already publisher. Not that I complain, I absolutely love it!

31.07.2020 - 14:31
Rating: 8
LedZep
Again, while I love their unique style and fantastic songwriting, sometimes I just can't get over their production. The guitars sound so tame, the bass could've been much more prominent too. It sounds a bit bland as a whole. Could've been a top 10 or top 5 candidate if they sorted the production. It's still great, don't get me wrong, but it rubs me the wrong way sometimes.
01.08.2020 - 06:08
Neachy
Written by LedZep on 31.07.2020 at 14:31

Again, while I love their unique style and fantastic songwriting, sometimes I just can't get over their production. The guitars sound so tame, the bass could've been much more prominent too. It sounds a bit bland as a whole. Could've been a top 10 or top 5 candidate if they sorted the production. It's still great, don't get me wrong, but it rubs me the wrong way sometimes.

I love the aesthetic they're shooting for here. Really wanted to find something to love in this. But I totally agree with you on the production. The guitars are emphasized so heavily in the mix yet I find them to consistently be the least interesting thing going on.
01.08.2020 - 22:08
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Are we actually listening to the same record?
I literally have no idea what you guys are whining about with "the guitar sounds so tame" and "the bass could have been more prominent," the guitar is swirly, nasty, and energetic throughout and the bass is one of the most up front, audible aspects of the composition
----

~ II. VII
01.08.2020 - 22:09
Maco
Pvt Funderground
"Whining"
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.08.2020 - 22:52
Rating: 7
musclassia
Staff
Just listening to the embed song above (Atomic Age) cos I couldn't remember the playthrough from yesterday, have to agree there were plenty of times when the guitar tone felt kinda flat. Wouldn't say it was necessarily too high in the mix though, or at least not always; felt it was fairly low in the mix (around 6-7 min mark, I'd say it was probably the fourth most audible thing after the percussion, vocals and bass).

Also, having an opinion =/= whining
02.08.2020 - 00:30
Desha
delicious dish
Written by Neachy on 01.08.2020 at 06:08

I love the aesthetic they're shooting for here. Really wanted to find something to love in this. But I totally agree with you on the production. The guitars are emphasized so heavily in the mix yet I find them to consistently be the least interesting thing going on.

I dunno, I found the bass really prominent. Also drumming, piano, etc. I think production is the smallest problem I could ever see here. Might just be me though I rarely really care for that stuff.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
02.08.2020 - 02:21
Neachy
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.08.2020 at 22:08

Are we actually listening to the same record?
I literally have no idea what you guys are whining about with "the guitar sounds so tame" and "the bass could have been more prominent," the guitar is swirly, nasty, and energetic throughout and the bass is one of the most up front, audible aspects of the composition

I've been listening to it at YouTube quality so I may be missing something. I really enjoy the first track and a couple others are growing on me so there is hope. Wish it was on bandcamp since that's the only music app I listen to anymore.
03.08.2020 - 03:54
Neachy
1st listen: this is pretentious drivel
2nd listen: hm, maybe there's something to this
3rd listen: am I starting to like this?
4th listen: this is fucking awesome
03.08.2020 - 05:19
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Neachy on 03.08.2020 at 03:54

1st listen: this is pretentious drivel
2nd listen: hm, maybe there's something to this
3rd listen: am I starting to like this?
4th listen: this is fucking awesome

Atta boi
----

~ II. VII
04.08.2020 - 13:02
mz
Why the fuck there is no full stream for this album? they dont even have it on bandcamp.
----
04.08.2020 - 14:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by mz on 04.08.2020 at 13:02

Why the fuck there is no full stream for this album? they dont even have it on bandcamp.

I hear there are these nifty little platforms called Spotify and YouTube
----

~ II. VII
04.08.2020 - 14:29
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Alright guys, I did it. I fucking did it. Last night I watched the first 50 minutes of Jean-Luc Godard's Alphaville from 1965 (on mute), with this album synced up on my headphones.

And, well.... holy fuck is all I can say. I am now positive that, at least to some extent, the band did this album as a soundtrack. There are too many alignments between the plot and visuals of the film and the feel of the music and lyrics. There is even one moment in particular where the main character is being interrogated by one of Alphaville's computers and the computer says something like "you must know... all these questions I ask you are for the ultimate good." Meanwhile, this is happening right as the final track on the album, "The Greater Good," gets underway.

For anyone who follows my blog, I may write an article soon about watching the movie while listening to the album, and the parallels between the two. Be on the lookout.
----

~ II. VII
04.08.2020 - 15:06
mz
Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.08.2020 at 14:25

I hear there are these nifty little platforms called Spotify and YouTube

I dont use spotify but the full album is not on youtube as one audio file, which is the format I prefer for listening to music.
----
08.08.2020 - 02:46
Neachy
Written by mz on 04.08.2020 at 13:02

Album is now up on Bandcamp. https://imperialnyc.bandcamp.com/album/alphaville-bonus-tracks-edition
08.08.2020 - 19:37
nikarg
Staff
Written by Neachy on 08.08.2020 at 02:46

Album is now up on Bandcamp. https://imperialnyc.bandcamp.com/album/alphaville-bonus-tracks-edition

This is a fake account.
09.08.2020 - 04:07
Neachy
Written by nikarg on 08.08.2020 at 19:37

This is a fake account.

Damn, that blows. I wonder who I gave my money to. I highly doubt I'll be getting a refund.
11.08.2020 - 03:49
Lord Slothrop
Written by Neachy on 09.08.2020 at 04:07

Written by nikarg on 08.08.2020 at 19:37

This is a fake account.

Damn, that blows. I wonder who I gave my money to. I highly doubt I'll be getting a refund.

I had to buy it via i-Tunes. Unfortunately.
13.08.2020 - 19:23
Rating: 10
ChapuLviz
Tropical Goat
Contributor
Cheesus!! This album is awesome. I need to listen it more times... One of my favorites of the year...
16.08.2020 - 05:16
Rating: 6
tintinb
Goddamned difficult album to get into. So many different things are happening all at once. I like the usage of some folk instruments here and there. City Swine and Atomic Age are pretty good tracks too.
----
Leeches everywhere.
16.08.2020 - 21:13
Rating: 10
Death_95
What a fucking brilliant album!
22.08.2020 - 05:47
Rating: 6
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Definitely in the minority as someone who can't connect with this, but this does nothing for me. It's too cold and mechanical for my liking, but I understand the appeal. It's essentially dissonant jazz metal -- highly technical and chaotic but disjointed due to its unconventional songwriting. I can't say there's really anything bad about it in theory, but in practice it simply fails to captivate me beyond a surface-level appreciation for the musicianship on display.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 5459 | This month: 39