Metal Storm logo
Best Ronnie James Dio Work?

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 30.06.2007 - 23:55
Ronnie James Dio, the man who gave birth to 'The Devil Horns' the eternal symbol for metal & rock n roll alike, and often credited for the invention of power metal, has participated in 3 major bands aswell as his own solo work. There is Elf, his first major band which recorded 3 albums, then was recruited by Ritchie Blackmore to join Rainbow, with whom he recorded 3 studio albums and a live album. The Black Sabbath, he recorded 3 studio albums (and is currently working on something with Geezer, Iommi and Appice under the name Heaven And Hell), and in 1983 started his solo project spanning 10 albums. Which Dio band/project/thingy do you like best?

For my vote I chose Rainbow, Ritchie Blackmore is an amazing guitarist and it goes really well with Dios voice, I havnt heard enough Elf to judge, and some Dio solo albums can be a little dry and forgettable. So it was down to Rainbow & Sabbath, but since Long Live Rock N Roll is my favorite album of all time I have to go with Rainbow.

Poll

Which Band/Solo Work Was Dio Best with?

Dio (Solo)
Rainbow
Black Sabbath (AKA Heaven And Hell)
Elf

Total votes: 147
01.01.2015 - 02:19
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Anyone else liked or listened to his pre-Elf stuff (Ronnie Dio And The Prophets, Ronnie And The Redcaps)?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.01.2015 - 02:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.01.2015 at 02:18

His best work is easily with Rainbow. His solo career has too many downs and well I am of the opinion he never fit in with Black Sabbath, although Mob Rules is quite a good album.

I argee Rainbow was much better musically, lyrically as his solo albums, what was not good, some yes, some songs yes but albums no, its like he catch pop rhythm, lost inspirations, can not compate whit Rainbow

BS days seems band was desperate get replacment asap and musician connections, friendship did the job
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.01.2015 - 02:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 01.01.2015 at 02:19

Anyone else liked or listened to his pre-Elf stuff (Ronnie Dio And The Prophets, Ronnie And The Redcaps)?

if you have it give me a link please
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.01.2015 - 02:46
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bad English on 01.01.2015 at 02:41

Written by M C Vice on 01.01.2015 at 02:19

if you have it give me a link please

Can't link a cd, so https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ronnie+dio+and+he+prophets
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.08.2019 - 12:53
JoHn Doe

Hard to choose, what an amazing career!
Went with Rainbow in the end.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
30.10.2019 - 08:38
Cass

I voted for Rainbow, I don't really like Dio solo (but Last in the Line is an awesome album), also in Sabbs I preffer Ozzy or Tony Martin
04.11.2019 - 16:42
All Metal

I haven't heard his solo stuff really, so can't fairly vote. I heard everything else. Have to pick Rainbow.
22.05.2020 - 02:10
Metal_Mikey

His first 2 albums with Sabbath are slightly better than his first 2 solo albums, and I'm not an Elf fan.
22.05.2020 - 23:11
Metren
Dreadrealm
When I think of Dio at his best, I always immediately think of "Stargazer", so my vote goes to Rainbow.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/