Disc II [1995 reissue bonus]
01. Nodding Donkey Blues
02. Space Station No. 5 [Montrose cover]
03. I Can't See My Feelings [Budgie cover]
04. Roll Over Vic Vella
05. No Prayer For The Dying [live]
06. Public Enema Number One [live]
07. Hooks In You [live]

An album with a maligned reputation that has tarred some of the best songs the band ever produced with the same brush, Fear Of The Dark is more than just the title track; those who have written the album off as such are missing out in a big way. The album does have its flaws, but they are more than made up for in what it does right. If you are still sceptical then pause here and go listen to "Judas Be My Guide" right now?? Do you see what I mean having given just one song a go?

Aside from the widely accepted classic in the title track and your new favourite discovery (now do I get a finder's fee?) in "Judas Be My Guide", there are songs like "Be Quick Or Be Dead", "Fear Is The Key" and "Afraid To Shoot Strangers", all of which deserve more credit than they get. These five songs tip the scales way into the positive side of things even against the chaff contained, being worth their weight in gold.

The band are as good as ever; Dickinson utilizes his underpraised screeching here to great effect and Gers comfortably fills the Adrian Smith-sized hole the band had not long experienced. The production is top notch and is still Maiden through and through, each song given the classic treatment and benefiting from it greatly.

Where the album may alienate fans, who cling to the traditional Iron Maiden sound, is where it strays into hard rock territory on songs like "The Fugitive" or "Chains Of Misery". On top of this change is the shift in lyrical focus from the grandiose topics of literary classics and mythology et al to far more contemporary topics at time of release than other albums had (not hard when Powerslave was based on pharaohs thousands of years old by the time 1984 rolled around), which may have been a change too far for some. Does this make them bad songs? Hell no, both songs are worthy of your adoration; just be prepared to hear Maiden in a different context.

The record is not without its flaws, containing some of the worst moments they have committed to posterity. "Wasting Love" and "Weekend Warrior" should have been left on the cutting room floor; the ire given to this album should be reserved for these two songs, for they are bad as suggested. From the killing fields of Passchendaele and Crimea to?football hooliganism and unrequited love? It is a jump too far for the band. "The Apparition" comes close to joining those two songs, if not for containing one of the best instrumental interludes the band has ever done, and I say that with no undue hyperbole.

Blow the cobwebs off your copy of the album and welcome it to its new home in your record player, as this is an album that should be played more than it is rested; another notch on an already studded belt, Fear Of The Dark is a classic.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by omne metallum | 15.04.2020

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Spyroid
Rating:
Damn! How do you rate an album like this? 'Fear Of The Dark' must be one of the most uneven albums released, and for sure the most uneven Iron Maiden album. There are really two sides of this album, and before I can even talk about the rating I have to evaluate them.

First of all we have the good side. And it's a really good side. There are some tracks on 'Fear Of The Dark' which are just brilliant and deserve very high ratings. They are not only good, but also show that the band has developed, they have very well written lyrics and incredible solos - 'From Here To Eternity' contains my favourite Maiden solo ever. Other tracks that belong to this side are of course the title track, 'Afraid To Shoot Strangers' and 'Wasting Love', plus some other unknown tracks like 'Chains of Misery' and 'Judas Be My Guide' which I like a lot.

Read more ››
published 28.07.2008 | Comments (36)

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 39 users
16.04.2020 - 00:31
UPDIRNS

How you rate this album higher than Number makes me think that you are high. So you gonna share...
16.04.2020 - 12:36
Rating: 8
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I lioke it its not bad, it has many good songs, even its 90's like band is searching 90's market, like Bruce knows its his last, as they wanna make and keep fuel running, and it makes good music, I like it
01. Be Quick Or Be Dead
02. From Here To Eternity
03. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
04. Fear Is The Key
05. Childhood's End
06. Wasting Love
08. Chains Of Misery
10. Judas Be My Guide
11. Weekend Warrior
12. Fear Of The Dark

to me those songs strands out!!!
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 1190 | This month: 6