1 - Long Lost Love
    2 - One More Night To Live
    3 - Christabel
11. The Wayfarer [bonus]
12. Lagoon [bonus]
13. Bless The Child [edit] [2007 Spinefarm re-release bonus]
14. End Of All Hope [live] [2007 Spinefarm re-release bonus]
15. Dead To The World [live] [2007 Spinefarm re-release bonus]

So here it is, the long awaited sequel to Wishmaster and it delivers the same power package but is it really something new? The clear answer is no because all the songs that Century Child delivers are already done on Oceanborn and Wishmaster. When you have an angel [Tarja] then you definetely need a Devil [on Oceanborn Tapio Wilska played the devil's role]. The best aspect is that Nightwish's bass player Marco Hietala [who also plays in Tarot and used to play in Sinergy] sings on this album.

The songs themselves are nothing new. My guess is that Tomas needs to find some new inspiration and soon because if this goes then Nightwish will soon be dead and forgotten.
Century Child opens with 'Bless The Child', which is Nightwish at there best so you can't just stand still when you are listening to this masterpiece and Tarja sings like an angel. There is no other way to describe it, so just take my words. The follow-up 'End of All Hope' beginning makes you wonder are you really listening to metal or to an opera? And the same feeling follows you throughout the entire album.

'Dead To The World' is the first song that shows the power of Marco Hietala's voice, which is a bit weaker than Wilska's and here comes the differences between Oceanborn and Century Child. The main problem is that this album just doesn't reach the standard that Oceanborn reached a couple of years ago. Anyway, let's get back to the album on hands.

Next up is 'Ever Dream' ? you might think that this a slow song at first but then it hits you in the face with raw orchestral power that might knock you down. The melody goes up and down during this song and it's just so fucking powerful. Musical perfection is all I can say.
'Slaying The Dreamer' is up next and this song is easily the most powerful track on Century Child with the exellent male growling at the end of the track. 'Ocean Soul' is the same material. I don't know why but I think Tomas is obsessed with the oceans.

I'll skip the review of 'Feel For You' so you can discover this song by yourselves 'Phantom of The Opera' is the most surprising track on this album because there are just so many bands who try to cover this masterpiece but something is always missing when you listen to them. But now Nightwish has done a cover that surpasses them all. The voices of Tarja & Marco fit into this song perfectly and you can truly feel the power of The Phantom. The album concludes with 'Beauty of The Beast' ? a song that is divided into 3 parts. It's simply beautiful, I can't put it into words so just get this album.

Overall I would say that Century Child doesn't reach the same level that Oceanborn has set but it definetely comes second best.

Written by marco | 11.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
ChainOfSorrow
Rating:
It's really difficult, if not impossible for my not so great musical maturity, to choose a best Nightwish album, and it's also thankless to do so in my opinion. But... if the world depended on a straightforward answer to the question "Which is your favourite Nightwish album?" I would probably have to say Century Child is that album. Century Child is definitely a departure from Nightwish's original power metal roots. (Despite what people say about the "new era" that Anette brought with her to the sound of Nightwish, that new era was born in Century Child; Dark Passion Play doesn't differ that much in sound from Once for example; only the change of vocalist obviously makes the difference, but the vocal lines written for the album are not that distant from what the band had been doing since 2002 when the band gradually started distancing itself from that operatic vocal register that became a sort of stamp the band had almost become forced to live with.)

Read more ››
published 13.12.2011 | Comments (16)

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 158 users
01.07.2007 - 08:36
Noel Sonic
Account deleted
Yes,it's true: worse than Oceanborn. But I'm not disappointed.It's not an excellent album, but it sounds good for me.
01.07.2007 - 12:53
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Beauty of the Beast is fantastic song...and Dead to the World...and Bless the Child...and End of all Hope...and Forever Yours...and Feel for You

i like this album very much, though i think their best is Once
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.07.2007 - 05:15
Bitch Boy

For me this is one of the best albums by Nightwish along with "Oceanborn" and "Wishmaster". Also, I think that Marco's vocals are really cool. For sure he has improved since "Century Child", but he has always done a good job.
16.03.2008 - 10:49
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
best nightwish album, even better than Angels Falls First. Dead to the world, Feel for You, bless the child are best tracks. 3 is the maximum number of good track that i found in a nighwish album
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.10.2008 - 03:23
Rating: 9
Land Of Doom

The Best Album From The Best Power Metal Nightwish And Good Review
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
18.03.2009 - 16:31
bayern

Written by Land Of Doom on 25.10.2008 at 03:23

The Best Album From The Best Power Metal Nightwish And Good Review

I think it's a bad review and I think it's their best album till now, I don't see a bad song on this album
23.12.2009 - 06:29
Rating: 10
SatyriconChick

I personally think the rating the reviewer gave is a bit low. It's hard to pick a favorite Nightwish album, but this one definitely ranks way up there for me and is the one I usually play when I'm in the mood to listen to them (Oceanborn used to have that honor). I agree about "Slaying the Dreamer" - definitely one of the strongest songs on the album. I'd say that, "Bless the Child" and probably "Phantom of the Opera" are my favorites.
24.12.2009 - 20:24
CyberSymphony
Ollie
This was my first Nightwish album, and still a classic in my collection. End of all Hope is without a doubt my favourite track of the album. It has an incredible start to the song and very catchy. 2nd Fav is Slaying The Dreamer. I used to sing along to this all the time and Tarja's voice never fails to impress me.
The album that got me into this kind of music and a beautiful album cover.
02.10.2016 - 11:53
3rdWorld
China was a neat
So this is the first review on MS? Nice piece of antique here.

EDIT: Still not sure on that.
02.10.2016 - 17:25
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by 3rdWorld on 02.10.2016 at 11:53

I don't think so. Perhaps the oldest one kept...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.10.2016 - 17:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

This one by Jeff is older.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.10.2016 - 17:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Oh and this one by Marco is even a day older than the one by Jeff.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.10.2016 - 17:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Actually easy to find the oldest reviews. Here you go.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.10.2016 - 17:58
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Ya there are a bunch of reviews on 25th of aug 2003 which are the oldest. Just wanted to see which bands got the first review. It seems they are mostly euro bands.

Hits total: 11411 | This month: 3