Album: Nirvana
Style: Black metal
Release date: February 2020

01. Buddha 1
02. Buddha 2
03. Buddha 3
04. Buddha 4
05. Buddha 5

In a perfect world, Nirvana, the second half of Cult Of Fire's two album return this year, would be significantly different from Moksha. A counterpart album, a complementary listen, the yin to Moksha's yang if you will. But I suppose we don't live in a perfect world, do we?

Being blunt, it took me quite a few listens to really figure out exactly what differentiates Nirvana from Moksha sound wise, and a part of me still doesn't quite understand why Cult Of Fire didn't simply release the tracks from both as a single, 70 minute album. Organizational nitpicking aside, if there is a key distinction to be found with Nirvana, it could probably best be described in one word: speed. Both Moksha and Nirvana are grounded in the same sort of Indian - tinged black metal foundation that has at this point become Cult Of Fire's signature, but whereas the former sits in more of a midtempo, almost jammy area, the latter is more upbeat and at times seems a bit more frantic. "Buddha 2" is perhaps the best demonstration of this, employing blasts that were largely absent on Moksha, a more traditional, tremolo picking type approach, and having an overall "soaring" quality about it not too far off from the approach taken on Triumvirát, the band's debut.

Additionally, Nirvana does appear to be slightly more focused on that epic, atmospheric dimension of Cult Of Fire's personality that Moksha largely seemed to ignore, but only very mildly so, and it still leaves a good bit to be desired on that front. Nonetheless, it is better than nothing. The beginning of "Buddha 3," for instance, is pretty mesmerizing and relaxing, and a definite highlight of both Moksha and Nirvana. And "Buddha 4" even has some segments pop up toward its middle that could, very loosely, be dubbed "symphonic." Although this album seems to tap into this territory somewhat more so than Moksha did, it still leaves a pretty lasting feeling of "I wish you guys had gone deeper into that," and indeed, the ventures into said territory still appear pretty sparse and short lived in the grand scheme of the songwriting.

Taken together, Moksha and Nirvana are pretty decent releases, and even though they may be found wanting in some respects, they're still probably better than what a lot of other black metal bands could churn out on their best days. But comparing them to past Cult Of Fire material, there's still a lingering feeling that they could be so much more, that they're both missing some vital ingredient that made the band so special and memorable in the past. Frankly, this could simply be owed to the fact that Cult Of Fire have now invested in their Indian black metal sound for the better part of seven years. Perhaps it simply doesn't feel as new and impressive anymore with each new release from the band, and if this is the case I for one certainly wouldn't mind them exploring new sounds in the future, to keep the momentum rolling and the ideas fresh.

For now, however, we have two new installations in the Czech trio's saga of soaring, Vedic black metal: the midtempo, riff centric Moksha, and the upbeat, slightly-more-epic Nirvana.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 20.04.2020 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 116 users
21.04.2020 - 01:25
Rating: 9
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
I can't really tell them apart after just two listens, but I'll take your word that this is the slightly better one.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
21.04.2020 - 01:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by RaduP on 21.04.2020 at 01:25

I can't really tell them apart after just two listens, but I'll take your word that this is the slightly better one.

It's by a pretty slim margin. Overall I'm kinda underwhelmed by both albums and ready for the band to do something new from here. Maybe a return to the Triumvirat sound, with some present day updates. Or something more symphonic, like that EP they did as a tribute to the Czech composer
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
21.04.2020 - 07:33
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 21.04.2020 at 01:39

It's by a pretty slim margin. Overall I'm kinda underwhelmed by both albums and ready for the band to do something new from here. Maybe a return to the Triumvirat sound, with some present day updates. Or something more symphonic, like that EP they did as a tribute to the Czech composer

Regardless of what it is for the follow-up, we already got more than our money's worth of the current sound. This wouldve been so much cooler if these were indeed more yin yang.
----
21.04.2020 - 11:25
nikarg
Staff
I also prefer this to Moksha but I like them both, probably more than you do, I really enjoy the spirituality they exude. They both feel like the BaN record last year to me, different to what people expected but not wildly new or experimental in any way.

I completely agree with the sentence "a part of me still doesn't quite understand why Cult Of Fire didn't simply release the tracks from both as a single, 70 minute album". I also don't see any point in having two different albums that are not so different at all.
21.04.2020 - 13:57
TheBigRossowski
Probably for different cover art, maybe to sell a few more albums. It's like another band, why release an album in your native tongue and then also release a different English version? Why not do a double disc at least with both the English and second language? My guess is the same, man, money. I mean, they gotta feed the monkey, man... sir.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
21.04.2020 - 15:22
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by nikarg on 21.04.2020 at 11:25

They both feel like the BaN record last year to me, different to what people expected but not wildly new or experimental in any way

I wouldn't really make that comparison, personally, as the BAN album was a much more radical departure from a previously established sound. I don't think that many people were really expecting these two Cult Of Fire albums to be any serious departure away from their Indian/Hindu black metal sound
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
21.04.2020 - 18:55
Vombatus
Potorro
I like both albums, this one is like an upbeat-type-Triumvirat (less gloomy?). Sort of.
Certainly not the WOW factor मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान had, but enjoyable.
It would be nice if they explored a bit more the happy post-rock vibes the LSD EP had. That would be an interesting direction.
21.04.2020 - 21:34
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Vombatus on 21.04.2020 at 18:55

I like both albums, this one is like an upbeat-type-Triumvirat (less gloomy?). Sort of.
Certainly not the WOW factor मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान had, but enjoyable.

Just finished listening to "Moksha" and didn't found close to "मृत्यु". That was one hell of a record.

Let's see how Nirvana rolls me in..
21.04.2020 - 21:38
musclassia
Staff

I've listened to each once and this one impressed me more on first listen. But both seemed surprisingly conventional meloblack considering what they've one in the past
21.04.2020 - 21:44
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by musclassia on 21.04.2020 at 21:38

I've listened to each once and this one impressed me more on first listen. But both seemed surprisingly conventional meloblack considering what they've one in the past

Conventional meloblack isn't bad by any means. But I never hoped to think of Cult Of Fire as a conventional band.
----
21.04.2020 - 21:48
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Vombatus on 21.04.2020 at 18:55

It would be nice if they explored a bit more the happy post-rock vibes the LSD EP had

I hadn't even thought of that, that would indeed be very cool
----

~ II. VII
21.04.2020 - 22:23
musclassia
Staff
Written by RaduP on 21.04.2020 at 21:44

Written by musclassia on 21.04.2020 at 21:38

Conventional meloblack isn't bad by any means. But I never hoped to think of Cult Of Fire as a conventional band.

Oh yeah I like meloblack, just not the band I expected it from
21.04.2020 - 23:22
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Great review.

This is lot groovier, diverse and closer to "मृत्यु" than "Moksha" did for me. Also found lot of resemblance of "Gruesome Dance Of Death" vibes in "Buddha 4" and "Buddha 2" sounds akin to Filosofem.

You got one of the toughest contenders in black metal category.
21.04.2020 - 23:29
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.04.2020 at 23:22

You got one of the toughest contenders in black metal category.

Eh.... maybe. Assuming this did get into the MSA for black metal next year, I can't say I'd see myself voting for it. For 2020 black metal Zalmoxis, Yaldabaoth, and Oranssi Pazuzu have been a lot more impressive than this.
----

~ II. VII
22.04.2020 - 05:28
Rating: 7
tintinb
Having read so many rave reviews about Cult of Fire's "Mrityu", Moksha and Nirvana were slightly underwhelming. Maybe a few more mantra chants like Buddha 1 would have done the trick.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 2513 | This month: 14