07. The Sethian
08. Claw Marks On The Throne
09. Night Visitor
10. Ascend Into Darkness

Top 20 albums of 2020: 1

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
A change of personnel seems to have worked nicely for Draconian; Sovran reversed their seemingly downward trajectory, and this record should cement that change in direction.

Read more ››
published 27.10.2020 | Comments (35)

Found in 57 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 83   Visited by: 1189 users
23.04.2020 - 15:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I hope Anders will Let Heike sing more, she can save band from inner Demons haunting boat members whit inner struggles what makes me dislike their personalities. We will see when new song be tuned
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.04.2020 - 17:11
Rating: 10
Elisyon

YES! Heike's voice was phenomenal in their last album. Can't wait to hear more Draconian soon and October seems so far now
23.04.2020 - 17:33
Rating: 9
The Melting Snow

Its been a long wait after a really good album. for some reason, I don't feel very excited about this. i just feel it'll be disappointing

Between 2005 and 2015 I thought Johan was an invincible composer with a million ideas up his sleeve. with kickass albums from Doom:VS, Draconian, Shadowgarden and all. Then he just fell silent...
23.04.2020 - 22:39
annodomini

Written by The Melting Snow on 23.04.2020 at 17:33

Its been a long wait after a really good album. for some reason, I don't feel very excited about this. i just feel it'll be disappointing

Between 2005 and 2015 I thought Johan was an invincible composer with a million ideas up his sleeve. with kickass albums from Doom:VS, Draconian, Shadowgarden and all. Then he just fell silent...

Everyone has to recalibrate someday. I trust Draconian, they were one of my favorites since ARF and I have no doubt that this will be great again. It seems it could be a bit different, but at the same time we have an old logo back, so I guess the sadness, depression and the renowned atmosphere will definitely be there. They promised a new song soon, so we will find out in the near future And also, if we don't count the bonus tracks, this is the album with the biggest number of songs. My guess is that some of it would be like ambient intro's, that band have promised.
----
the riddle wants to be...
30.04.2020 - 16:48
Nifheim
Nifheim
I like it:

05.05.2020 - 13:24
Rating: 8
dickkafa

After Sovran my expectations are very high. Draconian never dissapoints
05.05.2020 - 16:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Nifheim on 30.04.2020 at 16:48

I like it:

Not impressed, IMO they should put 2 min teaser to understand it
----

apos;'
[image]
05.05.2020 - 20:32
Nifheim
Nifheim
Written by Bad English on 05.05.2020 at 16:27

Written by Nifheim on 30.04.2020 at 16:48

I like it:

Not impressed, IMO they should put 2 min teaser to understand it

Well, here the full song:

14.06.2020 - 17:14
The Melting Snow

Any one has an idea when next singles will be released?
14.06.2020 - 23:15
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by The Melting Snow on 14.06.2020 at 17:14

Whenever band announces.
16.06.2020 - 09:34
The Melting Snow

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.06.2020 at 23:15

Whenever band announces.

thanks, sherlock
14.07.2020 - 16:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by The Melting Snow on 14.06.2020 at 17:14

Tomorrow ''Crimson Cult ' will be out

----

apos;'
[image]
14.07.2020 - 19:36
Rating: 6
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Bad English on 14.07.2020 at 16:41

Tomorrow ''Crimson Cult ' will be out

Nope. This song title doesn't even exist and your link is broken.
It's the lyric video for "Sorrow Of Sophia" that will be released tomorrow.

----
signatures = SPAM
01.09.2020 - 12:08
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
3 top notch songs so far have been released

Sorrow of Sophia
Lustrous Heart
The Sacrifical Flame
18.09.2020 - 19:11
The Melting Snow

Written by Guest on 01.09.2020 at 12:08

3 top notch songs so far have been released

Sorrow of Sophia
Lustrous Heart
The Sacrifical Flame

Make it 4. Moon Over Sabaoth is really good too
29.10.2020 - 15:00
annodomini

As a fan since Where Lovers Mourn I should say, that I'm proud of Draconian. This album definitely sounds like Draconian, but brings new atmosphere, new ideas. Most of the part thanks to Heike and taking full advantage of her capabilities. She was great in Sovran, but it still felt like she is a replacement for Lisa, but now it's definitely her character and we can hear what she wants to add to the band's music.

With that in mind, the whole music is still depressive, doomish, autumnish... but all of this is succeeded in 2020 musical context and not in the style of the start of 2000s, that even Sovran was still reminiscent.

That's the main strength of this albums, that Draconian was not afraid to take a risk and add some post rockish elements, to change guitar sound a bit, to change melody structure. For example while listening to Sleepwalkers for the first times you feel like you know where the next passage will go, what chord progression will follow, but then it suddenly is not what you expect from usual Draconian, that's a nice change!

The other significant change is the reduced use of keyboards and synths, replacing it with various guitar effects and playing techniques.

That's why I won't agree with the review that is written on MS about the originality. Genre and even Draconian wise it's one of the freshest releases in years.

In general the sound of this album is more ethereal or even eerie at times. Even the Enigma'ish Burriel times fits perfectly to the whole album flow. I still have to dig more deeper to the lyrics, but whole album is like telling of one story, kind of conceptual.

The mood is also very important here. Maybe it's all the depression of 2020 in me speaking, but even though this is still doom, gothic, sad and dark, somehow the music most of the time sounds hopeful (just listen to the magnificently beautiful "Claw Marks on the Throne", which just maid me cry and the last time Draconian left me in tears was with Bloodflower).

All in all in it's the bravest, most diverse and probably most interesting album of Draconian. I don't know if the songwriting is the best they have prepared for us until today, I would need more listens to judge that, but looking from the last few years perspective, it's definitely the magnum opus of the genre, because all of the other great Gothic/doom doom/death albums (Helevorn, STS, Officium Triste, On Thorns I Lay), that all fits under depressive slow category was good because it had the familiar oldschoolish sound and well known style, but Draconian manages to take a step further, change the style a bit, but still keep the dark atmosphere.

AOTY for me in metal music and for now best of Draconian since Arcane Rain Fell.
----
30.10.2020 - 03:32
Elisyon

Just gave this a couple listens. really great album especially impressed with the last 3 songs but overall very solid
30.10.2020 - 06:55
Gothic Metalhead
Pro Introvert
This is definitely better than Sovran and a better introduction to Heike. I like how there's a wide range of rhythm, atmosphere, and vocal arrangements. A strong intro song, and ended in a gripping depressing fashion. Definitely, they're most atmospheric since Arcane Rain Fell, yet still has a few minor flaws. This rivals Paradise Lost's Obsidian for album of the year for me.
30.10.2020 - 15:58
The Melting Snow

It is a really good album indeed. I have given it one or 2 full listens. Every time I try to listen to it again, I end up playing The Sethian on repeat. What a great, great composition that is. 10 marks out of 10 for that song

So far, it's my favorite song off the album along with Sorrow of Sophia which I've been listening to almost every day since it's release on Youtube.

I think Ascend Into Darkness is another grand song, but I will listen to it again after I've had my fill with the 3 songs before it. The whole band seems to be at their creative best. Looks like it's going to be the album of the year for me as well.

I have said it many times before, Johan is a genius. the way he puts all the pieces together to compose such emotive passages is something only a very creative mind could do. If you break down the songs into parts, most parts would be really simple to perform by an averagely talented musician, but the way he puts them together is artistic, brilliant. (reminds me of a band that is the opposite - modern-day Nightwish, insanely talented musicians, yet can't create a song structure worth remembering)
30.10.2020 - 16:34
nikarg

This is a good album, with the second half being better than the first but there are really no bad songs in it. The only problem is that most songs drag a bit longer than they should, not enough ideas there to justify the length. However, I love the fact that the album is predominantly based on Heike's voice and that it is more gothic to the point where it sounds very much like The Gathering-meeting-Paradise Lost. At this point, I think I wouldn't mind an album with no growls at all. "Burial Fields" is superbly ethereal even though the out of place spoken word in the end slightly ruined it for me and "Night Visitor" is also incredibly beautiful. Apart from those two, standout tracks are "Sleepwalkers", "The Sethian" and "Ascend Into Darkness". I personally prefer it to Sovran, it has more variety and better songwriting quality.
30.10.2020 - 16:39
annodomini

Written by nikarg on 30.10.2020 at 16:34

This is a good album, with the second half being better than the first but there are really no bad songs in it. The only problem is that most songs drag a bit longer than they should, not enough ideas there to justify the length. However, I love the fact that the album is predominantly based on Heike's voice and that it is more gothic to the point where it sounds very much like The Gathering-meeting-Paradise Lost. At this point, I think I wouldn't mind an album with no growls at all. "Burial Fields" is superbly ethereal even though the out of place spoken word in the end slightly ruined it for me and "Night Visitor" is also incredibly beautiful. Apart from those two, standout tracks are "Sleepwalkers", "The Sethian" and "Ascend Into Darkness". I personally prefer it to Sovran, it has more variety and better songwriting quality.

I get the point, cause on the second time I was listening I got the same feeling at times, but then I dug deeper to the story of Sophia in gnostic mythology and the lyrics of this album and oh man, what a new world it opens. I mean it's just amazing how they incarnated the story to this album. And after you start listening with the story and lyrics in mind, you see that every passage was necessary to note the suffering, the waiting or the hopelessness. Or even hope. I was in love with this album before that, but after analyzing the story and lyrics together with the music, I believe it's a masterpiece.
----
30.10.2020 - 16:56
X-FrEaK

This is a good album, with the second half being better than the first but there are really no bad songs in it.

Ill have to give it more spins, but my opinion is exactly the opposite. The thing is all the pre released songs were the exactly first half of the album. Lets see how it feels after some more spins
----
30.10.2020 - 17:10
musclassia

I'm not so taken by Burial Fields, but other than that, pretty much summarizes my thoughts on the album in the review. Glad to see you and the guy above highlight The Sethian and Ascend Into Darkness, easily my two favourites from the album and the two I can see myself listening to years from now
30.10.2020 - 18:10
Rafael Cevidanes
Account deleted
I was expecting for something really heavy and dark, metalish after all. I've got The Birthday Massacre and Enya singing along with growls and mediocre riffs. That's how this album sounds to me. Very disappointed. Rated it 6, but could be much less.
30.10.2020 - 18:16
JoHn Doe

Written by Guest on 30.10.2020 at 18:10

I was expecting for something really heavy and dark, metalish after all. I've got The Birthday Massacre and Enya singing along with a growls and mediocre riffs. That's how this album sounds to me. Very disappointed. Rated it 6, but could be much less.

really heavy and dark? Well, lyrically it is pretty dark.
Gothic doom relies a lot on atmosphere which this album got plenty.
The female vocalist does not sound like Enya at all.

Have you heard other works from Draconian?

You rated the new MDB a 9. I found it rather bland, go figure.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
30.10.2020 - 19:45
Rafael Cevidanes
Account deleted
Written by JoHn Doe on 30.10.2020 at 18:16

I was expecting for something really heavy and dark, metalish after all. I've got The Birthday Massacre and Enya singing along with a growls and mediocre riffs. That's how this album sounds to me. Very disappointed. Rated it 6, but could be much less.

Lyrically dark even some pop acts can do. I do know all Draconian discography and the most overwhelmed element here - the atmospheric appeal - has nothing more than an average quality to my ears, plus, you'll find it in practically every album. As for my rate for the new MDB album, although it is far from the best they can offer, it manages to deliver a great quality of both sound and lyrics, given all the circumstances behind its release. It's not the case here, and such comparison is not even close to an argument, so?
30.10.2020 - 19:58
JoHn Doe

Written by Guest on 30.10.2020 at 19:45

Written by JoHn Doe on 30.10.2020 at 18:16

Lyrically dark even some pop acts can do. I do know all Draconian discography and the most overwhelmed element here - the atmospheric appeal - has nothing more than an average quality to my ears, plus, you'll find it in practically every album. As for my rate for the new MDB album, although it is far from the best they can offer, it manages to deliver a great quality of both sound and lyrics, given all the circumstances behind its release. It's not the case here, and such comparison is not even close to an argument, so?

Sorry for bringing MDB up, it was just to state that tastes differ, that's all.
I was just surprised by your statement: mediocre riffs , the Enya comparison , expecting from Draconian something really heavy, when were they really heavy in the first place? It's melancholic gothic doom they are playing after all.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
30.10.2020 - 21:49
Rating: 7
chomskeet

There's nothing wrong with this album per se, I'm just not really taken with it and I think there's better representations of the genre out there. As far gothic doom specifically I will take Saturnus or Enshine over this any day. Doom metal more broadly I would try Officium Triste "The Death of Gaia," that's the most recent Doom album that has really impressed me
31.10.2020 - 03:55
Rafael Cevidanes
Account deleted
Written by JoHn Doe on 30.10.2020 at 19:58

Sorry for bringing MDB up, it was just to state that tastes differ, that's all.
I was just surprised by your statement: mediocre riffs , the Enya comparison , expecting from Draconian something really heavy, when were they really heavy in the first place? It's melancholic gothic doom they are playing after all.

By "heavy", I meant what you can get from albums such as "Where Lovers Mourn", "Arcaine Rain Fell", "Turn Season Within" and even some passages from "A Rose for the Apocalypse". I never mentioned something like brutal death metal and stuff. The "Enya comparison" came out to be my first association when I heard those ethereal vocals and it's not bad (I love Enya herself) - I just appreciate listening to that kind of singing from new age acts. Although not enjoying this work as I thought I would, I am very happy they got success from it - this is a very talented group and I value them a lot.
31.10.2020 - 05:39
tintinb

Initially when I gave the album a first listen I found it to be a bit lengthy, the songs dragging a little bit. But with more listens I think the length is justified. The whole point of this album is to put forth melancholy, that they do it extremely well. I also initially wished it to sound a bit heavier but if I am honest with myself I am not at all disappointed with the output that I got. What really stuns me that there is no filler song in the whole album. The songs fit in perfectly, one marvelous auditory sensation fulfilling song after the other. A great album to fall asleep to.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 18374 | This month: 102