03. Going Down/Love In An Elevator
04. Monkey On My Back
05. Water Song/Janie's Got A Gun
06. Dulcimer Stomp/The Other Side
07. My Girl
08. Don't Get Mad, Get Even
09. Hoodoo/Voodoo Medicine Man
10. What It Takes [Instrumental Hidden Track]

Hitting heights that the band didn't even reach during their 70s heyday, Pump cemented Aerosmith's comeback as more than a flash in the pan. Pump is probably the greatest Aerosmith record that wasn't made in the 70s; with more killer than filler, the band crashed into the 90s on a hell of a wave.

Pump sees the band experimenting without changing up their formula. The addition of little intro sections to some songs and the use of different instruments across the album often adds to rather than detracting from the music. From the use of deck scratches on "Monkey On My Back" to "Dulcimer Stomp" preceding "The Other Side" among other parts, the album shows that the band was not afraid mix things up and avoid repeating themselves.

The album on a whole is extraordinarily strong and you could pick a track at random and hit gold. The singles however manage to stand just that bit taller than the rest and show why they are the tracks that were chosen to represent this album. The blistering guitar fest of "Love In An Elevator" and one of the best ballads by any band in "What It Takes" show how the band could do two contrasting styles with equal ability. Throw in "The Other Side" and "Janie's Got A Gun", and you have four of the best songs in the band's catalogue.

The band are on top form throughout, Tyler's voice sounds more powerful than it has been before and he puts it through its paces throughout. Perry and Whitford throw out some great blues-inspired riffs throughout, with the riff to "Voodoo Medicine Man" being understated but catchy, as well as solos such as those that make "Love In An Elevator" the classic it is. Kramer and Hamilton hold down the rhythm section with aplomb while foraying to the front of the music, with Kramer being given the spotlight at the end of "Young Lust".

Some of the lyrics on this album are good for a laugh, though hard to take seriously, with Tyler throwing out a "homie" on "Monkey On My Back" that sounds like he's trying to sound hip. My personal favourite has to be "I hear that you're so tight your lovin' squeaks" from "F.I.N.E."; must be different when you're a rock star. That said, the album does tackle harder hitting topics that were overlooked by the band before, with "Janie's Got A Gun" dealing with incest and murder and doing it well.

Pump isn't without its flaws, however; "Young Lust" and "Monkey On My Back" see the band dip in quality. They aren't bad songs per se, but given the bar the rest of the album sets, these two fall short. They're good for a listen, but pale when slotted around the rest off the songs on this album.

Aerosmith would come close to replicating the magic in future but would not match the quality of Pump in the years since its release, which stands tall as a whole rather than on the strength of its singles alone. If you haven't heard the album yet, I would advise seeking down a copy ASAP.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by omne metallum | 29.04.2020

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 12 users
29.04.2020 - 15:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Maybe latest AS album what you can listen in full .. because after it maybe few mtv songs its it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.04.2020 - 12:10
omne metallum

Written by Bad English on 29.04.2020 at 15:18

Maybe latest AS album what you can listen in full .. because after it maybe few mtv songs its it

Yeah, but I got to stretch that thought out for a few paragraphs when I get onto Nine Lives haha
----
Just because I'm not listening doesn't mean I don't care
24.05.2020 - 07:35
Rating: 10
Mad Mike

This is my favourite album from them. Young Lust is actually my favourite Aerosmith song. The way it moves and the fast energetic pace of it sets the tone for the album. The guitar solo in LIAE is one of my favourite guitar solos, and like you said What it Takes is such a great power ballad, maybe even their best (although I'd put Angel above it). The band proved that they still had it and while their 90s stuff started to fade, they ended their first two decades with a bang.

Amazing album in my eyes. Great review!
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?

Hits total: 774 | This month: 11