Release date: February 2018

01. Skullcomet Sorcery
02. Maximum Rampage
03. El Gigante
04. Black Future Patrol
05. Gargola
06. Night Vision
07. Radiation Huntress

You probably are unaware of the existence of Medium but let me tell you that they were one of the two local bands that were invited as guests to support Abbath at the disastrous (non-)performance in Argentina last November. However, this little drama is not at all why you should become more familiar with them.

So, four Argentines promoting themselves as a grind/crust outfit, and releasing their debut through an Indian label. Globalization can also be a good thing. Only I can hardly hear any grind in it myself, with the exception of the songs' runtime. Medium is the fulfilment of guitarist Seba's vision, who is responsible for the music of the band, a blend of crust punk and death metal with bits and pieces of black metal and hardcore. The sound is reminiscent of Sweden's Wolfbrigade and Martyrdöd, and it is an entertaining and short slab of aggression and fun.

Medium deliver the goods in under 19 minutes and I have to say that I love these bands that get straight to the point. This is a completely no frills, no interludes, no intros, no fancy bullshit release. And, while the first couple of tracks were good enough to make me want to listen to the rest of the album, it was actually the neck-snapping "El Gigante", the riff-heavy "Black Future Patrol", and the surprisingly melodic "Gargoyle" and "Radiation Hunter" that had me sold. In fact, the best thing about Medium is how it refreshingly incorporates catchy guitar-driven leads to balance the d-beat blasting.

Vocalist/bassist Lucien has matched the highly energetic music with lyrics that are fantasy-themed, obscure but not necessarily negative, like a radio emission from another world, a surreal description of a different reality from another dimension.

Despite the obvious sonic similarities with their Swedish counterparts, Medium's self-titled debut is a very promising and concise introduction of a band that clearly focuses on playing music they enjoy without over-thinking. And it works really well.

"Morbid mutant worships the nocturnity
Electric white flame
Petrified in hypersleep"

Written on 30.04.2020 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 50 users
30.04.2020 - 10:59
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
If this is "Medium", I really wanna hear what "Hard" sounds like
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
30.04.2020 - 11:05
nikarg
Staff
Written by RaduP on 30.04.2020 at 10:59

If this is "Medium", I really wanna hear what "Hard" sounds like

Yeah, I also thought it's not a fitting name. I believe they chose it because of the lyrics, that they see themselves as a means of communication between this world and another dimension.. I don't know, it would be a good question in an interview.
30.04.2020 - 18:14
MarlKarx
Damn, I really dig this. Love the Swedish sound and as an Argie, proud that this band is getting recognition.
01.05.2020 - 04:28
Rating: 8
tintinb
The EP is so riffy.
----
Leeches everywhere.
01.05.2020 - 23:14
nikarg
Staff
Written by tintinb on 01.05.2020 at 04:28

The EP is so riffy.

Despite its very short length both the band and the label promote as LP. But yeah, it's riffy alright, I wouldn't have reviewed it if it wasn't

Hits total: 1133 | This month: 8