06. Unchain Utopia
07. The Fifth Guardian
08. Chemical Insomnia
09. Reverence
10. Omen
11. Canvas Of Life
12. Natural Corruption
13. The Quantum Enigma

After the previous album, which was good but not as memorable as the earlier albums, bland and lacking most signature Epica elements, Epica release The Quantum Enigma, and with it they showed us that Epica is back stronger than ever!

A lot of people said that Simone's vocals are growing weak and that she was the weakest part of the band (with which I was hardly disagreeing even then), but this album is for sure highlight of her career. Strong falsettos are back, vocal harmonies arranged like never before (for example in "The Essence of Silence", "Unchain Utopia" and "Natural Corruption") and a lot more.

They got back their signature symphonic orchestra elements. Keyboards are also stronger than on the previous album. I can tell that Epica learned a lot from all the previous albums, picked all the best parts and created The Quantum Enigma. Mark's growls and songwriting totally on point. Guitar riffs got their own signature sound once again. Isaac Delahaye did amazing job with guitar solos once again; this time they were melodic and shreddy.

One of the biggest highlights for me personally was "Canvas Of Life". They haven't written a ballad like this since "Tides Of Time" from Design Your Universe, especially the classical guitar melody; I could listen just to it for days. Of course Simone added a layer of her own emotional interpretation. Also one of the highlights was the instrumental song, which is a little longer this time, called "The Fifth Guardian". It brings so much calm, but right before the storm.

Epica just brought us their best album and I regret doubting that they can make a better one than Design Your Universe. This epic journey of mine is coming to an end with their next album being their last. I am happy that I decided to start listening to their discography, yet I am sad for it coming to an end.

Highlights: "The Essence Of Silence", "Victim Of Contingency", "Unchain Utopia", "The Fifth Guardian", "Chemical Insomnia", "Reverence", "Omen", "Canvas Of Life", "Natural Corruption"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by TheJester | 29.04.2020

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
Epica are back with a bang on their sixth studio release, the symphonic metal powerhouse abolishing any doubts that they can maintain their powerful presence within the genre.

Read more ››
published 01.05.2014 | Comments (19)

Guest review by
AngelofDeth
Rating:
In many ways, The Quantum Enigma is the obvious successor to 2009's much cherished Design Your Universe. And by that I mean bombastic and over the top symphonics melded with Mark's signature heavy riffing and growls, with Simone's operatic vocals making a surprising, yet welcomed, return. Most praiseworthy of all, while it follows in the footsteps of an obvious predecessor, this album still manages to somehow feel new, as the symphonics explore untamed territories. There is no shortage of original riffs and the vocals are - wait, what? Did Elyze Ryd from Amaranthe replace Simone? No, no she didn't. But she may as well have, meaning that this is also Epica's most 'poppy' effort to date.

Read more ››
published 21.06.2014 | Comments (4)

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 14 users
01.05.2020 - 22:07
Rating: 9
mariano

I don't get why one would highlight falsettos as a strength for Simone... While it's a valid resource in signing, it is also an implicit acknowledgment of a limitation because it's used to reach notes higher than the singer's actual range.
01.05.2020 - 23:36
TheJester

Written by mariano on 01.05.2020 at 22:07

I don't get why one would highlight falsettos as a strength for Simone... While it's a valid resource in signing, it is also an implicit acknowledgment of a limitation because it's used to reach notes higher than the singer's actual range.

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly. Simone's strength is arranging those falsettos. It really doesn't matter to me how high notes singer can hit. What really matters are vocal melodies and different styles. Falsettos just gave song another dimension to enjoy.

Hits total: 776 | This month: 2