01. Confront
02. Justice
03. Keep It Tightening
04. Swell
05. Energies
06. Round 13
07. Fate
08. Day To Head

Just because nobody expects you to reinvent the wheel doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

The brutal death metal scene in Japan is wildly varied both in terms of style as well as quality, ranging from the otherworldly technical aficionados in Desecravity to the mind-numbing machine known as Pukelization -- a name to impress your high school buddies if there ever was one. Gorevent fall somewhere in the middle of that spectrum, without any unique or special traits to set them apart from the sea of slambois across the globe, but also not so terrible that it makes for a libelous review of comedic proportions.

Having tinkered with their sound ever so slightly throughout their relatively samey discography, Fate is perhaps the most rounded release from the band to date. Touches of its less extreme parent genre permeate the album, restricting the full-on senseless brutality often expressed through this type of music. This almost "soft" approach is buoyed by a much improved production value that offers a significant increase in breathing room for each instrument, eradicating the annoying tin can sound of the drums to better suit the album's relentlessly crushing nature. Your ears are even graced with the sounds of some cascading cymbal work in the background, adding to the overall playful vibe. Of course, the chugging guitar assault is to be expected, but the chunky riffs and garbled pitched growls ensure the sense of fun is maintained from start to finish. Fate, as it turns out, is by no means a wine-and-dine experience.

Though signs of growth are blatant, it's still a somewhat safe release in that each song tends to follow a fairly generic approach to the slam cycle and never ventures outside the realm of simplicity. There's nothing offensively bad about it or deserving of complete ridicule, but it would have been a more enjoyable experience had the riffs extended beyond introductory level riff monotony. Also, if vocalist Gokucho threw in a random high note or two just to keep the tedium from really setting in, that would have gone a long way in helping entice their audience to overlook the waning quality in songwriting towards the album's end, where it starts to come across as somewhat of a chore for the band, as if they're trying to reach the finish line rather than writing from a creative headspace. The repetition of the songs becomes more burdensome for the listener to trudge through, which decreases Fate's replay value substantially. So, while far from a perfect or even great slam release, Gorevent have at least managed to offer up a decent piece of one-off mild brutality for the slam completionist out there.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 2
Production: 7

Written on 02.05.2020 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 45 users
02.05.2020 - 12:52
Rating: 3
musclassia
staff
I'm pretty unfamiliar with brutal death, but I gave this a try after I saw it namedropped in a discussion of 'albums of the month', and I shudder to think what their previous albums sound like if signs of growth are blatant - I thought it was so monotonous it almost descended into parody. There were a couple of songs where it picked up the tempo but for a 20-minute record it was a slog of a listen
02.05.2020 - 15:09
Rating: 4
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by musclassia on 02.05.2020 at 12:52

'albums of the month'

Definitely not a discussion I'd expect to see this album a part of... Whoever suggested it is likely either easily impressed or is part of the band's street team lol

If you want to listen to good Japanese bdm, check out the name dropped Desecravity. A completely different beast altogether.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.05.2020 - 05:23
Coconut Racecar

I'm pretty unfamiliar with brutal death, but I gave this a try after I saw it namedropped in a discussion of 'albums of the month', and I shudder to think what their previous albums sound like if signs of growth are blatant - I thought it was so monotonous it almost descended into parody. There were a couple of songs where it picked up the tempo but for a 20-minute record it was a slog of a listen

I've been a fan of slam/brutal death/gore, etc. for many years. Knew of these guys before they had released a full album. They've always been garbage tier. I'm not hard to impress, but this is a brutal band even I can't enjoy.
03.05.2020 - 05:26
Coconut Racecar
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.05.2020 at 15:09

'albums of the month'

Definitely not a discussion I'd expect to see this album a part of... Whoever suggested it is likely either easily impressed or is part of the band's street team lol

If you want to listen to good Japanese bdm, check out the name dropped Desecravity. A completely different beast altogether.

Although they've since disbanded ( to my knowledge ), Infernal Revulsion is also quite good.
03.05.2020 - 06:14
Rating: 4
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Coconut Racecar on 03.05.2020 at 05:26
Although they've since disbanded ( to my knowledge ), Infernal Revulsion is also quite good.

Did not know of their disbanding but I agree with your assessment. One of the better Japanese bdm outfits out there.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 1490 | This month: 8