01. The Fool's Journey
02. Scales Of Maat [feat. Ben Hutcherson & Ethan Lee McCarthy]
03. Daybreak [feat. Paul Primus]
04. The Chasm At The Mouth Of The All
05. Lightchild
06. Archonic Manipulations
07. Nightfall [feat. Paul Primus]
08. Prima Materia

Since Staff Picking their Of The Flock album in 2013, I had carelessly let In The Company Of Serpents fall off my radar, neglecting their evolution from there and foolishly failing to be on active lookout for their subsequent releases. Seven years later, Lux is smacking me right in the face with a stern reminder to not let that happen again.

Returning to a band you discovered years ago but somewhat forgot about with one of their new releases always makes for an interesting experience. In a lot of ways, it's a way of seeing whether or not your beloved find grew or stagnated with their sound since the last time you listened. In the case of In The Company Of Serpents and Lux, thankfully the band have grown, and grown quite significantly. When I first heard these guys with Of The Flock, they were playing a riff heavy sludge with a sort of darkly melodic undertone to it, but with Lux they've gotten a lot groovier and more atmospheric than I ever recall them sounding. Cuts like "The Fool's Journey" and "Scales Of Maat" establish a strong delivery that is essentially sustained throughout the rest of the album, with some minor variations here and there: crunchy, surprisingly catchy and head bobbing, and interspersed with powerful, emotive interludes of airy melodic passages.

The atmosphere is really what sells Lux, greatly helping In The Company Of Serpents feel like more than just another riff after riff sludge band cycling through the motions. In particular Lux brings a clear influence of an almost jammy, psychedelic blues rocks style to the equation that I can't remember being there the last time I crossed paths with the band. Some tracks embrace this more than others, such as "The Chasm At The Mouth Of The All," which is absolutely excellent, but for the most part it's a mood felt throughout Lux's entirety. When In The Company Of Serpents choose to go all in with this style, they follow through on the vocal front as well, the voice of frontman Grant Netzorg taking on more of a soft spoken, gravelly touch that almost makes you think of some old grandpa singing along while strumming an acoustic guitar on his Alabama porch. It's oddly satisfying, to say the least.

Perhaps I may have missed some sort of pivotal evolution that the band underwent between releasing Of The Flock and now, but whatever happened, it definitely upgraded their sound for the better. I'm somewhat reminded with Lux of what Glorior Belli did with their black metal, injecting it with the groovy, Southern blues rock influence, but here In The Company Of Serpents seem to have taken that idea and applied it to sludge. The result is a delivery that comes off as far more dynamic, emotive, and all around distinct than I ever remember the band sounding. I may have gotten lazy with my band following with In The Company Of Serpents after they released Of The Flock, but Lux has me pretty firmly convinced that I should keep these guys fairly high on my "Pay Attention" list going forward.

One track up to stream now for the ravenous. Full meal in 10 days for those of more patient personalities.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 04.05.2020 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 43 users
05.05.2020 - 10:33
Rating: 9
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Che reviewing an album before its release date? Am I seeing this right? Well it technically did happen with Lurker Of Chalice too, but...

Anyway I'm looking forward to listening to this one!
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.05.2020 - 16:32
Rating: 9
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 05.05.2020 at 10:33

Che reviewing an album before its release date? Am I seeing this right? Well it technically did happen with Lurker Of Chalice too, but...

Anyway I'm looking forward to listening to this one!

It happens. In this case I got the promo for this maybe 5 days ago and just started playing it over and over because it was so damn catchy. Figured I had more than enough listens to go off of to just write the review from there.

I see you quite enjoying this, it's heavy and catchy but also surprisingly melodic and atmospheric at points as well, and the bluesy vibes go down hard
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
26.06.2020 - 19:44
nikarg

Written by Auntie Sahar on 05.05.2020 at 16:32

it's heavy and catchy but also surprisingly melodic and atmospheric at points as well, and the bluesy vibes go down hard

This is exactly as good as you describe it to be. I have no knowledge of the band's previous work but I like this album a lot. "The Chasm At The Mouth Of The All" is my favourite, I think.

Hits total: 2134 | This month: 17