01. Seafarer's Dream
02. Rum, Women, Victory
03. Andromeda
04. The Defence Of The Sampo
05. Run From The Crushing Tide
06. For Sirens
07. One With The Sea
08. Midsummer Magic
09. Cold Northland (Väinämöinen Part III)
10. Merille Lähtevä [digipak bonus]
11. I'll Stay By Your Side [digipak bonus]

Top 20 albums of 2020: 19

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
After a fairly inauspicious decade, folk metal giants Ensiferum show signs of rekindling some of their former glory.

Read more ››
published 14.07.2020 | Comments (9)

Found in 44 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 45   Visited by: 871 users
14.07.2020 - 02:25
Rating: 7
Aries Rising

Written by musclassia on 13.07.2020 at 14:12

Struggling to pinpoint who the newer vocalist reminds me of - Stratovarius has been mentioned but I don't think he sounds too obviously like Timo Kotipelti. If anything, I'm getting 1980s Geoff Tate vibes at times, along with other people I can't properly identify yet. it's an interesting tone; this album does feel more 'power metal' in certain songs than I remember Ensiferum being previously

Edit: maybe a bit of Keeper of the Seven Keys Michael Kiske/Helloween at times too?

I got shades of Geoff Tate when I was listening his performance.
14.07.2020 - 12:43
Rating: 8
EdenEcho

Written by musclassia on 13.07.2020 at 14:12

Struggling to pinpoint who the newer vocalist reminds me of - Stratovarius has been mentioned but I don't think he sounds too obviously like Timo Kotipelti. If anything, I'm getting 1980s Geoff Tate vibes at times, along with other people I can't properly identify yet. it's an interesting tone; this album does feel more 'power metal' in certain songs than I remember Ensiferum being previously

Edit: maybe a bit of Keeper of the Seven Keys Michael Kiske/Helloween at times too?

Maybe a little bit of Joacim Cans as well, especially in the chorus of One With The Sea
17.07.2020 - 16:30
Gungniru

It would be a great album without Pekka Montin on the vocals. He's got a good voice except it doesn't fit the style at all, maybe cause he sounds like Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius. That said, Rum, Women, Victory, The Defence Of The Sampo and Run From The Crushing Tide are killer tracks and One With The Sea is probably the only song where Pekka's vocals don't really bother me.
19.07.2020 - 20:31
tintinb

Pretty fun album but not to the level of One Man Army. I really liked the more folky latter songs of the album.
----
Leeches everywhere.
22.07.2020 - 19:39
WorpeX
Made of Metal
I'm impressed! I didn't think Ensiferum had it in them anymore. Feels very fresh with Pekka on the vocals and band has a very infectious energy in most of the songs here. Great comeback album for sure. I personally haven't liked much from the band since From Afar. One Man Army had the boring drone backing vocals which were supposed to sound epic but instead made the album sound generic. With Pekka, they removed those drone vocals and replaced them with excitement and energy. It took a few listens for me to really get used to the new style, but now i'm hooked!

Highlights: For Sirens, Andromeda, Rum, Women Victory, Midsummer Magic
26.07.2020 - 09:34
Rating: 7
Reaper_Redeemer

This is the first album after "From Afar" that actually sounds like Ensiferum. They found their path again and gifted us with songs like "Andromeda", "Run From The Crushing Tide" "For Sirens" and even a new Vainamoinen part that I dare to say that it is equal to the old legendary ones.
27.07.2020 - 00:58
Rating: 9
mikeprado30

Very nice and enjoyable record. It could be a perfect if it wasn't because I felt on two tracks (For Sirens and One With The Sea) their instrumental interludes a little lackluster. Nonetheless, that's another gem by those guys.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
10.08.2020 - 16:07
metalbrat

Never liked extreme folk and Ensiferum is not for my liking.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
11.08.2020 - 19:04
SageBlackMetal

This is pretty good. Some really great moments. My only criticisms are that I would like it to be a little more guitar-centric and the fact that I like Pekka's vocals, but I think the album is a bit unbalanced considering the songs are so reliant on them. Overall, very good album and worth the wait.
----
Check out my one-man, atmospheric black metal project below. Free Downloads:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdEEl0_hWvGgCtmuwfZjUmA?view_as=subscriber
https://www.instagram.com/sageblackmetal/
http://sageblackmetal.bandcamp.com/
06.09.2020 - 10:53
Rating: 6
Skl3ros

Pretty decent album. Andromeda is a real earworm though. Can't get rid of that song in my head since the last 2-3 days.
10.09.2020 - 18:40
Rating: 9
sgtrobo

The 80s Kiske influence seems apparent, but am I the only one who caught shades of Midnight-era Crimson Glory in the cleans?
16.10.2020 - 21:35
trzyszostki
Account deleted
This one is great. old school influences and lots of fun! been spinning it a lot!
12.01.2022 - 15:15
Vikcen
Metálico
Really that rating? This is the first album from Ensiferum don't like (Pekka Montin takes me out)

I prefer Unsung Heroes much more for example, at least this one kept a very good feeling.
17.06.2022 - 05:10
Fred_P

It's a good album. "Cold Northland" is fucking majestic, absolutely adore this song. "Run from the Crushing Tide" and "Andromeda" are also stellar. Didn't care much for "Midsummer Magic". Liking the new cleans but I think I still prefer the ones from Petri and Jari.
25.06.2022 - 01:18
Cthulu

Amazing the contrast in tone between midsummer magic and cold northland. Good album overall, but my only criticism is a little too reliant on the new vocalist, and no guitar solos (that I noticed).

Hits total: 11444 | This month: 37