11. It'll Be OK
12. Boiler
13. Hold On [feat. Scott Weiland]
14. Rollin' (Urban Assault Vehicle) [feat. DMX and Method Man & Redman]
15. Outro
16. Snake In Your Face [bonus]
17. Back O'da Bus [bonus]
18. It's Like That Y'All [feat. Run-DMC] [US limited edition bonus]

"Alright partner, Keep on Rollin' Baby, you know what time it is".

This was a number one album in multiple countries... Yep, let that sink in; the Limp Bizkit train was rollin' all the way to the bank alright. Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water (or Starfish from here on out) is the peak of the band's career; they reached the top of the mountain and were soon tumbling down afterwards, but, let's go through what took them to the top of the mountain for their time on top.

The music is easily the highlight on Starfish; the band behind Durst construct some well-crafted songs that show that even with a ton of crap thrown on top, its quality can shine through. "My Way", "Hold On" and "It'll Be Ok" have some class musicianship that manages to create a collage of sounds before bursting into life and kicking your ass. Rivers' bass work is highly underrated in the grand schemes of things, underwriting the cheques the band cash in; between Rivers and Lethal, they create a strong framework the rest of the band can build upon and flesh their ideas out on.

For as cheesy as it is, I'll give kudos to the band in that "Rollin' (Air Raid Vehicle)" is enjoyable like a McDonald's burger; sure you know it's bad for you, but sometimes it's something that hits the spot. "Take A Look Around" is like a Five Guys burger (other burger products are available, p.s. I'm open to advertising, hit me up Burger King) in comparison; one of the best nu-metal songs period.

Terry Date and the band's production skills are solid, creating an album that is heavy yet balances well with the aforementioned collage of sounds, without either sounding forced into place or the lesser of the two. "My Generation" is a good example of this; while having heavy moments, you can hear all the intricacies of what goes into the song, especially in the bridges. "Hold On" balances this as a whole track amongst a host of heavier ones.

Complaining about Limp Bizkit lyrics is like pointing out cancer is a bad thing; we all know it by now and it's like shouting into the wind. The only exception to this is "Hot Dog", which sums up Durst's lyrical skills neatly in its four-minute duration, revelling in its repeated "fucked up?" lines ad nauseum before going on to copy Nine Inch Nails. Managing to find a new low, it sticks out like a sore thumb and encapsulates much of Durst's input.

Where the band totally fall flat though is when they go full-on rap; if you think Durst is a bad metal vocalist oh boy, he is Freddie Mercury compared to his rap skills. "Getcha Groove On" and "Rollin' (Urban Assault vehicle)" are dire; the band take a back seat as Durst rides up front with guest features from actual rappers who (understandably) phone in their performances.

Starfish is a mixed bag of an album, featuring some great instrumental work that is held back by Durst, who pulls the album down several pegs. Limp Bizkit's time at the top is easy to understand when you consider their peers and the band's instrumental skills. It's also easy to see why they came tumbling down, the red baseball cap tipping the scales from finely balanced to nigh-on self-parody.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by omne metallum | 11.05.2020

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 39 users
12.05.2020 - 22:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
That intro is only thing i ever liked from this band, hmm nu metal is not my cup of tea. Only kid rock some songs and h blocks i even wrote review to fly eyes slbum
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.05.2020 - 23:32
Rating: 3
JoHn Doe

The limp biscuit on MS... and people got mad at Pink Floyd and Queen being here.
What's next? Poison reviews? They are here, too.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
13.05.2020 - 16:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by JoHn Doe on 12.05.2020 at 23:32

The limp biscuit on MS... and people got mad at Pink Floyd and Queen being here.

I hope so Poison is cool and well I better see Jeff Healey band Lynyrd Skynyrd here or such bands as nu metal, never get that genre when papa roach, bizkit, korn, linki park, deftones, system of a down and such bands.
It was on post mtv metal or on so called heavy or metal programs often, i remember mtv2 , total rock radio. I never get those, in those days I stuck to true metal, dug deeper, but tanks god i net arrived and I was saved
----

apos;'
[image]
13.05.2020 - 16:17
JoHn Doe

Written by Bad English on 13.05.2020 at 16:07

Written by JoHn Doe on 12.05.2020 at 23:32

I hope so Poison is cool and well I better see Jeff Healey band Lynyrd Skynyrd here or such bands as nu metal, never get that genre when papa roach, bizkit, korn, linki park, deftones, system of a down and such bands.
It was on post mtv metal or on so called heavy or metal programs often, i remember mtv2 , total rock radio. I never get those, in those days I stuck to true metal, dug deeper, but tanks god i net arrived and I was saved

so you put Poison in the same league as Jeff Healey and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Are you trying to top your ... nonsense? (for lack of a better word).

Poison was the first big nail in the coffin for MTV glam metal (or whatever you like to call it) the same way Limp Biscuit was for nu-metal.

You argue with me and yet you dislike Limp Biscuit yourself. so WTF?!
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
13.05.2020 - 16:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by JoHn Doe on 13.05.2020 at 16:17

so you put Poison in the same league as Jeff Healey and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Are you trying to top your ... nonsense? (for lack of a better word).

Poison was the first big nail in the coffin for MTV glam metal (or whatever you like to call it) the same way Limp Biscuit was for nu-metal.

I dont argue, I just said I want su such ''classic'' bands in MS; and Poison music is good, its catchy, much better as nu metal, metalcore and other such bands , I like it.
----

apos;'
[image]
13.05.2020 - 16:46
JoHn Doe

Written by Bad English on 13.05.2020 at 16:21

Written by JoHn Doe on 13.05.2020 at 16:17

I dont argue, I just said I want su such ''classic'' bands in MS; and Poison music is good, its catchy, much better as nu metal, metalcore and other such bands , I like it.

you misunderstood my initial post.
At some point (in the past) someone added Pink Floyd and Queen. The conversations on the albums from these two bands were fine and yet I don't know who got so upset with PF and Queen being here that they were taken down.

Now I see Limp Biscuit (of all bands) getting attention here on MS with a new review and I don't get it, how is it a good thing?!
----
13.05.2020 - 18:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I remember those, who n Why they were deleted i dont remember, but I think they are more wellcome here as igorrr...
----

apos;'
[image]
06.10.2020 - 02:32
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
How dare you give this album anything less than the 10 it deserves
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 723 | This month: 6