Metal Storm logo
The "What do they play?" thread

Original post

Posted by Destryphior, 28.05.2006 - 21:07
There are often bands that doesen't fit in any ganres, and I
often wonder how to describe some bands... This thread is here to clear it up...
Try not to use any difficult-neverbefore heard-subgenres like toothbrushing-poetic-bongo bongo metal...
What does Wintersun exactly play, extreme power metal doesn't describe them that good...
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, hmmm wierd, haven't found any better describing word...
04.10.2008 - 13:03
Holosade
Account deleted
I hate to be the pedant here but does it matter? I fully appreciate that genre is useful when describing a band in a review, or even to a friend. But realistically genre is nothing, the only person that seems to have cared about genre in the whole of the metal scene is Euronymous / the 'x' number of 'true sadistik black metal' bands that have yet to grow a penis.

Just enjoy the music, no genres - no boundaries - no comparisons. You will enjoy it so much more
04.10.2008 - 19:31
Hrothdane

Written by Guest on 04.10.2008 at 13:03

I hate to be the pedant here but does it matter? I fully appreciate that genre is useful when describing a band in a review, or even to a friend. But realistically genre is nothing, the only person that seems to have cared about genre in the whole of the metal scene is Euronymous / the 'x' number of 'true sadistik black metal' bands that have yet to grow a penis.

Just enjoy the music, no genres - no boundaries - no comparisons. You will enjoy it so much more

Well it goes beyond defining the bands for some people I think. People associate genres with a specific type of person. For example (I'm not picking on anyone, this can apply to any genre), death metal is often associated with aggressive, anti-establishment, and non-intellectual people who dress in a certain way. There are people who want to be associated with that stereotype/group who try to associate the bands they like with death metal (even if they might not technically be death metal bands) because it reinforces the image they are going for. Conversely, people will try to disassociate bands they don't like from themselves by putting them in a different genre (even if it doesn't go there).

To give a specific example, on Last.fm the page for the french power/speed metal band Heavenly is shared by a now defunct british twee pop band that was also named Heavenly. Neither set of fans wants to be associated with the other, even admitting it straightforward, and argue constantly over which band has a more legitimate claim to the page.

While I don't agree with acting this way, there are people that desire that much be part of a subculture for whatever reason, and it does give them comfort/happiness.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
04.10.2008 - 20:42
TheBigRossowski

Written by Hrothdane on 04.10.2008 at 19:31

Written by Guest on 04.10.2008 at 13:03

Well it goes beyond defining the bands for some people I think. People associate genres with a specific type of person. For example (I'm not picking on anyone, this can apply to any genre), death metal is often associated with aggressive, anti-establishment, and non-intellectual people who dress in a certain way. There are people who want to be associated with that stereotype/group who try to associate the bands they like with death metal (even if they might not technically be death metal bands) because it reinforces the image they are going for. Conversely, people will try to disassociate bands they don't like from themselves by putting them in a different genre (even if it doesn't go there).

To give a specific example, on Last.fm the page for the french power/speed metal band Heavenly is shared by a now defunct british twee pop band that was also named Heavenly. Neither set of fans wants to be associated with the other, even admitting it straightforward, and argue constantly over which band has a more legitimate claim to the page.

While I don't agree with acting this way, there are people that desire that much be part of a subculture for whatever reason, and it does give them comfort/happiness.

That is so true, its not funny! If there is anything a non-conformist hates more than a conformist, its another NON-conformist, not conforming to the standards of NON-conformity, lol.

Exhibit A:
ÆshmAVerkÄ
"I hate fans of the shitty, modern-sounded, overproduced black bands, I hate slam wiggers, I hate retro thrash kids that dont like death metal, I hate mallcore kids, I hate goths that think pseudo "intellectual" "metal" is better than proper old school death and black metal (with fuckin gay/boring/dull "deeper meaning" lyrics about life which most of the time dont even make sense, with crybaby whingy bitch vocals. Instead of crying about how dull life is, rather go kill yourself and rid the world of your worthless crap excuses for metal, I hope you fuckin idiotic tolerant pussy wankers get dusted because your the reason that metal has become a joke). Fuck off all PC, open minded, socially acceptable pseudo intellectual hippie homo metalheads; heil intolerance, disgust and bigotry."
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
05.10.2008 - 09:39
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Genres are just one of those things that get inside your head and expand. If you dont know much about them, you will have less genres to group your music, the more you learn about them the more genres you will group your music. Alot of people dont care about genres, because they dont know much about them, many know alot about them and see them as important and class excessively.
Aside from that, its gotten to the stage now where its all opinionated, there are far more genres now that ever, because bands are trying new things, and its only going to get worse.

I guess i was pretty big on putting a sub-genre onto every band, even if its impossible, for example Therion, who clearly have at least 3 sub-genres throughout their time. Its just too excessive though, whats the point?

There is always going to be 'fuzzy' combinations of genres and no right or wrongs. But still... some people just have no idea at all!!! CoB... melodic death... Stick Lahio in Sonata Arctica and see how death that sounds!!! BRooTAL man !!!
, because music wise... besides ballads, its pretty damn similar.
10.10.2008 - 22:44
InnerSelf
proofread free
I Totaly agree with the fact that we "fans" created geners and i realy dont care "that much" about a band gener
but some bands realy confuse me like arcturus maybe i can understand that thier first album was avantgrade "black" metal but thier latest albums ....... i dont know
also i am a little confused by graveworm , i am convinced that they are extreme gothic but there is this black influnce and in thier last 2 albums there were not much gothic at all
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
24.10.2009 - 21:41
Hanyuchan

Oceans of Sadness- Death black gothic metal
26.06.2011 - 21:16
Aristarchos

How to describe In Flames newer sound?
28.06.2011 - 18:11
JD
Account deleted
It sounds for me that Meshuggah play Technical Industrial Thrash Metal.
29.06.2011 - 01:24
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Written by Aristarchos on 26.06.2011 at 21:16

A lot of people refer to it as Alternative metal. It's a pretty broad genre term, so why not. The little bit of them I've heard I'd agree. It sure as hell still ain't melodic death metal, that's for sure.

Written by Guest on 04.10.2008 at 06:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.10.2008 at 12:23

Ensiferum = Extreme Power Metal

No, they're Folk Metal.

Extreme PM is like Children Of Bodom or Norther.

I'd say they're both. Folk music mixed with Extreme power metal.
29.06.2011 - 11:58
Aristarchos

Written by Xim on 29.06.2011 at 01:24

Written by Aristarchos on 26.06.2011 at 21:16

A lot of people refer to it as Alternative metal. It's a pretty broad genre term, so why not. The little bit of them I've heard I'd agree. It sure as hell still ain't melodic death metal, that's for sure.

I agree it's not melodeath, but what other bands in alternative metal sounds like In Flames?
29.06.2011 - 14:51
arwestromen

Don't know if amon amarth have been defined yet in this thread... i've heard alot of genre definitions on this band...from death metal to extreme folk metal
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
29.06.2011 - 21:53
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Written by Aristarchos on 29.06.2011 at 11:58

I agree it's not melodeath, but what other bands in alternative metal sounds like In Flames?

Alternative metal is a pretty broad genre and a lot of bands in the genre sound fairly unique. I've also heard their new stuff be referred to as metalcore and progressive metal though. I'll be honest, I've never heard much of In Flames so I can't say really. I'm only going off of what websites and other people have said.
30.06.2011 - 12:32
Aristarchos

Written by Xim on 29.06.2011 at 21:53

Alternative metal is a pretty broad genre and a lot of bands in the genre sound fairly unique. I've also heard their new stuff be referred to as metalcore and progressive metal though. I'll be honest, I've never heard much of In Flames so I can't say really. I'm only going off of what websites and other people have said.

People could say whatever they want about the quality of In Flames newer material, but at least I think they have their own sound.
30.06.2011 - 12:33
Aristarchos

Written by arwestromen on 29.06.2011 at 14:51

Don't know if amon amarth have been defined yet in this thread... i've heard alot of genre definitions on this band...from death metal to extreme folk metal

I think melodic death metal fits them well.
06.07.2011 - 02:18
Guib
Thrash Talker
Wow got it all wrong.. the only reason I care about genre.. its because if I hear a band I like and wanna dig more into that style... I ask: Dude what kind of metal is that... then the guy replies.. oh its TDM.. then you say: WHAT ?.. then again, Technical Death Metal dude ! and you say Oh, and what else sounds like this... then he says... well Gorguts.. Anata and Spawn of Possession. Obviously you're gonna go ! SHIT, I liked it so ima look at those aswell...

see thats the reason.. lol
no other.. not because you're a genre racists
or associate types of persons to genre

its only cos you wanna find bands that sounds like this one so you can enjoy something you like x100 .... lol
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.07.2011 - 07:37
slinx

Sorry for this, but since I am not available to post new topics and have no idea where to ask this, I will use this thread.

Anyway, I've been listening to Master's 'Slaves To Society, but on this site it is listed as Slaves Of Society; it's a reissued copy which includes four demos from previous albums (I haven't actually listened to any of those albums) and its these four that are my favorite.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what metal subgenre these are. They sound very very thrashy death and I would like to know more about groups who play that.

The Line To Kill (Demo)

http://new.music.yahoo.com/master/tracks/line-to-kill-demo--205179680

He'll Probably Win (Demo)

http://www.myspace.com/masterspeckmann/music/songs/he-ll-probably-win-demo-31171394

Lined Up And Punished (Demo)

http://www.myspace.com/masterspeckmann/music/songs/lined-up-and-punished-demo-31171395

Everything Is Rotten (Demo)

http://www.we7.com/#/song/Master/Everything-is-Rotten-demo
----
'You're short, you're fat, and even for a film critic you are ugly.' - The Critic