Metal Storm logo
The "What do they play?" thread

Original post

Posted by Destryphior, 28.05.2006 - 21:07
There are often bands that doesen't fit in any ganres, and I
often wonder how to describe some bands... This thread is here to clear it up...
Try not to use any difficult-neverbefore heard-subgenres like toothbrushing-poetic-bongo bongo metal...
What does Wintersun exactly play, extreme power metal doesn't describe them that good...
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, hmmm wierd, haven't found any better describing word...
11.06.2006 - 17:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
@Bitch Boy. First, you gotta put a translation in your signature. You're gonna get in trouble for that.

Second, good point. I would name them 'Classical Metal', but don't know if that covers it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.06.2006 - 13:20
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Guest on 04.06.2006 at 00:39

Power metal MUST have primarily clean singing to be power metal (3 Inches of Blood should die) otherwise it's mellodeath

furthur proof that "melodic death metal" has nothing to do with death metal here.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
13.06.2006 - 03:06
Bitch Boy

@Nervel. Thanks for the advice. Anyway, it was just a lyric from Mägo de Oz.
13.06.2006 - 21:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
You can still have the original one in your sig. but you need an English translations with it. And, no problem.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.06.2006 - 04:55
Bitch Boy

@Nervel: thank you man, but I rather prefer the one I'm using at this moment.

I've a couple of bands concerning to this thread. What do Cadaveria play?? And what about Cacophony??
14.06.2006 - 21:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Cacophony. Some sort of speedy/heavy. But I don't consider Speed a genre on itself, so I'd call it Heavy.

Never heard of Cadaveria.
----

15.06.2006 - 11:28
Daniel

would you call norther viking metal?
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
15.06.2006 - 15:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Nope, just as Children Of Bodom, Wintersun etc. I'd call them Extreme Power, just as MS labels them.
----

15.06.2006 - 16:24
Daru Jericho

I know they're both power metal but do Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius really cout as symphonic metal too as I've seen a lot of places give them that additional label.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

15.06.2006 - 16:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Symphonic? Where is the symphony in them? I can clearly hear the Sympho in bands such as Cradle Of Filth and Dimmu Borgir, who bring along a key-player with a very big and 'in-front' sound. But Sonata and Strato use it more as an instrument.

Ok, that must have sound weird to you, but I hope I could get my point across.
----

15.06.2006 - 19:13
Daru Jericho

Just wanted to check as there are quite a few sites that credit them so.
----

15.06.2006 - 19:37
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Lucas on 14.06.2006 at 21:38

Never heard of Cadaveria.

She was the vocals in Opera IX for a long time, and she made a solo project in 2001, in wich she mixes sympho black with some doom.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
15.06.2006 - 20:58
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Daru Jericho on 15.06.2006 at 16:24

I know they're both power metal but do Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius really cout as symphonic metal too as I've seen a lot of places give them that additional label.

no this is nonsense, symphonic means that there are influences from classical music in it
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
15.06.2006 - 20:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Ok. You gave him the answer then.
----

15.06.2006 - 21:47
Daru Jericho

Written by Lucas on 15.06.2006 at 20:59

Her XD

Yeah, just checking. It's like how people hear violins in metal and immediately say it's symphonic. I guess that's what some people might think about keyboard in power metal or something?
----

15.06.2006 - 22:20
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Daru Jericho on 15.06.2006 at 21:47

Her XD

Yeah, just checking. It's like how people hear violins in metal and immediately say it's symphonic. I guess that's what some people might think about keyboard in power metal or something?

Oops. My bad. *slaps itself like an emo*
----

15.06.2006 - 22:25
Daru Jericho

Hehe, it's ok (and I had no idea emos slapped themselves, but that's a different matter )
----

15.06.2006 - 23:39
Bas
Retired Staff

well if there's a violin in it, it is most often symphonic,
how the keyboards are used CAN make the music symphonic, for example the keyboards in Nightwish sound quite symphonic, however there is nothing symphonic about Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius
----
15.06.2006 - 23:51
Daru Jericho

Written by Bas on 15.06.2006 at 23:39

how the keyboards are used CAN make the music symphonic, for example the keyboards in Nightwish sound quite symphonic, however there is nothing symphonic about Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius

But regarding the violin, I wouldn't asy bands like The Sins Of My Beloved or Elvenking are symphonic, Like the keyboard, it depends on how it's utilized.
----

15.06.2006 - 23:57
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Daru Jericho on 15.06.2006 at 23:51

Written by Bas on 15.06.2006 at 23:39

But regarding the violin, I wouldn't asy bands like The Sins Of My Beloved or Elvenking are symphonic, Like the keyboard, it depends on how it's utilized.

i'm not sure about The Sins Of My Beloved i only listened to them once and thats quite some time ago, so i cant be sure here, but about Elvenking, i agree they clearly arent symphonic despite the use of violins, but hey, i said most of the time
----
17.06.2006 - 15:48
Destryphior

Violins often makes a difference while cathegorizing bands.... Not always symphonic, sometimes folk or nothing at all...
17.06.2006 - 15:53
Lucas
Mr. Noise
True. They're used in Funeral Doom too.
----

20.06.2006 - 23:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
yeah..you need a whole LOT of violins and stuff to be symphonic imo..
20.06.2006 - 23:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Destryphior on 17.06.2006 at 15:48

Violins often makes a difference while cathegorizing bands.... Not always symphonic, sometimes folk or nothing at all...

There actually even was a thrash band from the Netherlands that used violins and even saxophone. Unfortunately the band isn't active anymore ... the band's name is Blind Justice and their first full-length is called Sax & Violins. If you like off-beat thrash try to get hold of it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.06.2006 - 03:31
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Ok this is probably slightly off topic....but I have a question about Melodic Black metal and whether its actually a fitting way to describe a band...

Yesterday I talked to one of my friends and he kinda lost his mind when i refered to Melodic Black Metal since he said Old Man's Child (and such) are Norsecore and that Melodic Black Metal actually doesnt exist because Black Metal is such a specific genre. Thing is..on no site that ive been on have I ever heard any band being refered to as Norsecore or Fagoth (or whatever) not even here on MS. He told me that its incorrect to call bands Melodic Black and it annoys him when ppl say that - so whats the right terminology then?
24.06.2006 - 16:23
Lucas
Mr. Noise
The right termilogy is to stuff a suck in his mouth.

Melodic Black is a far better term then 'Norsecore'.
----

25.06.2006 - 00:35
Daru Jericho

Norsecore? I've never heard of that word before but I think melo black is a much better name and far more widely used.
----

25.06.2006 - 01:18
Warman
Erotic Stains
I know that many disagree with me but I actually think that Cradle of Filths first albums are Melodic Black metal, so I would say that there is a genre called Melodic Black metal.

And all of you who disagrees about the Cradle of Filth thing, don't quote me since I wont change my mind about it.
----
25.06.2006 - 01:20
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Yeah me neither....and I have a big hate of anything with "core" in it Norsecore sounds so fuckin american
25.06.2006 - 18:00
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Me too, untill I discovered Grindcore!!!
----