Metal Storm logo
Music genre you despise the most

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 06.07.2007 - 20:33
i was looking through this forum and found that many people like music which i consider shit. nothing wrong with that, but it made me curious as to what do people on here truly despise.

i, for one, hate improvisational jazz mainly, when the only one who isn't soloing is the drummer playing in 17/13 time signature a 32-bar rhythm.. sure, you're technical, but.... no emotion in your playing, therefore YOU SUCK!
18.01.2014 - 20:48
IronAngel

Kind of funny that this thread is 22 pages of people "despising" genres, and when someone mentions a metal genre there's a huge debacle about how someone not liking it doesn't make it bad etc.
19.01.2014 - 14:27
Uldreth

Written by IronAngel on 18.01.2014 at 20:48

Kind of funny that this thread is 22 pages of people "despising" genres, and when someone mentions a metal genre there's a huge debacle about how someone not liking it doesn't make it bad etc.

Well about djent I think it is more to it being very unfairly bashed, just like metalcore. I find it really stupendous how people are all like "lulz they rip meshuggah off and they all sound the same lulz". Even though most djent bands probably take more from SikTh and Fellsilent than Meshuggah and also the same could be said of pretty much any other genre. Still nobody is slagging thrash bands for being Metallica ripoffs that all sound the same, even though thrash was pretty much started by Metallica and there is very little variation of sound. Still so far the only djent band I heard that really sounds a lot like Meshuggah is Vildhjarta and I did listen to lots of djent. Plus Vildhjarta absolutely have their own sound and imo they also school Meshuggah in their own genre quite hard.
Written by angel. on 18.01.2014 at 19:01

I don't like it like what's cynic said, and because I don't like it I think there is something wrong with it too, it's really a boring genre with rare variation in its sound ,depending too much on rhythms and not caring for use of melodies and note make its sound really limited IN MY OPINION , totally this kind of music is not my cup of tea

They tend to use more melodies than Meshuggah did actually. Won't argue with it being based on rhythm though, but I like that, massive polyrhythmic chug patterns make me wet.
25.01.2014 - 21:29
no one
Account deleted
I think i once posted "stoner doom" on here once, but that genre is actually starting to grow on me now, i just don't know much decent bands from the genre
27.01.2014 - 07:34
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 25.01.2014 at 21:29

I think i once posted "stoner doom" on here once, but that genre is actually starting to grow on me now, i just don't know much decent bands from the genre

Listening to "Eve" by Ufomammut right now, actually. It's highly regarded, you should check it out if you haven't already.

If you want something particularly depressive, try Cough.

But honestly, how can one hate stoner doom? What blasphemy. What idiocy. Sleep and Electric Wizard are enough to make you bow.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.01.2014 - 10:02
Desert Father

In terms of metal I must agree with those who don't like djent. It just sounds so overproduced and articifial to me, plus it's just ripping off a device used by Meshuggah imo, which itself has its limits. Uneven Structure are the only one I can stand.
The soul-destroying, hypnotising money spinners we call modern dance-pop irritate me to no end. And I have never liked a singer-songwriter type configuration either, you know those men with stubble and cigarette stained, collar length hair sitting in the afternoon sun with an acoustic guitar singing with a forced high voice about the surf or something...
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
16.02.2014 - 10:58
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Honest to god, space metal.

In fact, there is nothing remotely even exist to space metal.

You can have space-themed *insert genre* music but I don't think space metal is any genre.
16.02.2014 - 16:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 16.02.2014 at 10:58
I don't think space metal is any genre.

So you hate a genre you don't think exists. Makes sense.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.02.2014 - 16:44
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.02.2014 at 16:15

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 16.02.2014 at 10:58
I don't think space metal is any genre.

So you hate a genre you don't think exists. Makes sense.

I think it shouldn't exist because it doesn't make sense at all. Well, space metal is illegitimate genre span across to many metal listeners and it's booming too. I even saw some of the recs here related to space metal.
18.02.2014 - 09:36
no one
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 27.01.2014 at 07:34

Listening to "Eve" by Ufomammut right now, actually. It's highly regarded, you should check it out if you haven't already.

If you want something particularly depressive, try Cough.

But honestly, how can one hate stoner doom? What blasphemy. What idiocy. Sleep and Electric Wizard are enough to make you bow.

thanks will check them out, weedeater seems to be popular on here too
18.02.2014 - 23:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 18.02.2014 at 09:36

thanks will check them out, weedeater seems to be popular on here too

I'll also recommend Bongripper.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.02.2014 - 09:12