Metal Storm logo
Oceans Of Slumber - To Release Self-Titled Record, Launch Single

Progressive metal formation Oceans Of Slumber are excited to announce a new self-titled album, to be released on September 4th, 2020, via Century Media Records worldwide. With "A Return To The Earth Below" official video clip, the four-piece unleash the first single taken off the new record. Check it out.

Vocalist Cammie Gilbert is checking in with the following comment about the new song: "Within ourselves, just as within our societies there are cycles that need to be broken. Cycles that hold us down, that tear us apart, that give us anguish. Sometimes without warning these cracks surface and they trigger a cascade of emotional vulnerabilities, emotional turmoil, even hopelessness. But at some point we must stop running. Stop running from the pain, stop running from the truth, stop running from ourselves. In the light of this self reflection is where we will find peace, both inwardly and outwardly. A Return To The Earth Below is about that journey. It is about the collision of the heart and mind in struggling to find that internal resolution. We feel that the timing of this single couldn't be more appropriate, as we have all found ourselves at the crossroads of change."

Tracklist as follows:

01. Soundtrack To My Last Day (07:35)
02. Pray For Fire (07:28)
03. A Return To The Earth Below (05:39)
04. Imperfect Divinity (03:42)
05. The Adorned Fathomless Creation (06:43)
06. To The Sea (05:11)
07. The Colors of Grace (04:35)
08. I Mourn These Yellow Leaves (08:16)
09. September (Those Who Come Before) (04:03)
10. Total Failure Apparatus (06:33)
11. The Red Flower (04:56)
12. Wolf Moon (cover version) (06:51)

"We'd like to thank Giannis Nakos for the beautiful artwork that captures not only our imagination, but the depths and darkness of the story the album holds within. While there's plenty more to come, we must be patient for the full album that's set to release September 4th. For now please enjoy "A Return to the Earth Below"," says Cammie Gilbert.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Oceans Of Slumber
Posted: 06.06.2020 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 7   Visited by: 58 users
06.06.2020 - 02:12
dammage11

Can't wait! I'm really excited to hear her in the new Ayreon project as well
06.06.2020 - 13:51
Previous album was a let-down. They went far too commercial, mellow, ballad style, dropped progression in favor of a safe, commercial sound. It wasn't a disaster of any sort, but an obvious drop in quality. I hope they will correct this on the new records, although this new track doesn't really give high hopes. The vocalist is good, but her voice alone cannot pull songs out of mediocrity. There is just so much a good vocalist can do to turn boring tunes into catchy ones.
06.06.2020 - 18:26
Liafev

Written by SikorskiWitness on 06.06.2020 at 13:51

Previous album was a let-down. They went far too commercial, mellow, ballad style, dropped progression in favor of a safe, commercial sound. It wasn't a disaster of any sort, but an obvious drop in quality. I hope they will correct this on the new records, although this new track doesn't really give high hopes. The vocalist is good, but her voice alone cannot pull songs out of mediocrity. There is just so much a good vocalist can do to turn boring tunes into catchy ones.

Your comment is a good exemple of using "commercial" in a meaningless, arrogant way.
07.06.2020 - 00:10
Written by Liafev on 06.06.2020 at 18:26

Written by SikorskiWitness on 06.06.2020 at 13:51

Your comment is a good exemple of using "commercial" in a meaningless, arrogant way.

Guess I struck a fanboy chord there. I have no qualms when music turns more commercial if the overall quality does not diminish. It just so happens that in 99% of the cases, it does. It simply happens that they've raised the bar with Winter, only to lower it significantly with The Banished Heart. There is nothing meaningless in describing things for what they are.
07.06.2020 - 19:37
Liafev

Written by SikorskiWitness on 07.06.2020 at 00:10

Guess I struck a fanboy chord there. I have no qualms when music turns more commercial if the overall quality does not diminish. It just so happens that in 99% of the cases, it does. It simply happens that they've raised the bar with Winter, only to lower it significantly with The Banished Heart. There is nothing meaningless in describing things for what they are.

Wrong guess, I barely know them. I saw them live with Swallow the Sun once and listened to the last album one, but that's it. It just seems to me that using "commercial" to describe something has so little meaning that it's just painful to read.
Plus I don't really see what you found commercial in their last album to be honest.
08.06.2020 - 12:15
Written by Liafev on 07.06.2020 at 19:37

Wrong guess, I barely know them. I saw them live with Swallow the Sun once and listened to the last album one, but that's it. It just seems to me that using "commercial" to describe something has so little meaning that it's just painful to read.
Plus I don't really see what you found commercial in their last album to be honest.

How would you call a transgression from progressive, quasi-innovative, adventurous progressive metal to a ballad-laden, toned-down metal made for yuppies? If not a commercial move? For people who listen to music rationally, not blindly, the move to a commercial sound a style is self-evident.

Which is to say I am not against going for a more commercial sound, if musical quality is not undermined. I do accept some 'sell-outs' or some sound mellowing if the quality standard is still there. It just so happens that in most cases, mellowing out turns out to be a drop in quality as well and OoS is not an exception. Not everyone is Devin Townsend, who can keep a similar standard of quality while playing extreme metal and pop metal.
08.06.2020 - 21:00
Doge of Venice

Written by SikorskiWitness on 08.06.2020 at 12:15

Written by Liafev on 07.06.2020 at 19:37

How would you call a transgression from progressive, quasi-innovative, adventurous progressive metal to a ballad-laden, toned-down metal made for yuppies? If not a commercial move? For people who listen to music rationally, not blindly, the move to a commercial sound a style is self-evident.

Which is to say I am not against going for a more commercial sound, if musical quality is not undermined. I do accept some 'sell-outs' or some sound mellowing if the quality standard is still there. It just so happens that in most cases, mellowing out turns out to be a drop in quality as well and OoS is not an exception. Not everyone is Devin Townsend, who can keep a similar standard of quality while playing extreme metal and pop metal.

Your writing style reminds me of Qwerty from RYM. Maybe I'm just imagining things

I personally enjoyed this song quite a bit. I found a lot of The Banished Heart dragged a bit, though I need to relisten. Nothing in this song overstayed it's welcome and I enjoyed the chorus melody.

Hits total: 1137 | This month: 3