TV Series You're Watching

Original post

Posted by KryptoN, 11.10.2011 - 04:56
Arrested Development fans might like Running Wilde which has humor in some small ways similar to Arrested Development (and in addition starring Will Arnett, David Cross etc.). Unfortunately it was cancelled after the first season (Fox Network is simply a death sentence to new shows).
19.06.2019 - 14:38
Metren
Donkey Hotte
Just finished Chernobyl too. Truly, truly excellent mini-series in pretty much every way possible. The best way I could describe it is to compare it to James Cameron's Titanic, but just one specific scene ( TITANIC SPOILERS AHEAD LOL) - the iceberg collision scene. That one scene in Titanic that actually tells the real ship's real story instead of focusing on a garbage love triangle is absolutely outstanding and Chernobyl is like that scene, only it's pretty much always that scene. The character stuff is often predictable, but mostly still very solidly written and there's one line between two main characters in the final episode that had me in tears. Great series, would recommend to everyone.
----
I am not nor have I ever been a musician or a member of a one-man band, especially a band that has a name that starts with "D".
19.07.2019 - 12:52
Bad English
Masterchief
Beck - Nice Swedish polis series , I like more Gunvald Larsson a great cop who believes in violence and aggressive behavior, likes beat a shit out of criminals , american cops and I have deep respect to those. they deal in hard way whit real street problems.
Series are good maybe best swe cop series whit Johan Falk and Kurt Wallander, i also like Rebecca Martinsson its made in a north..

Chernobyl
Great series, what a shit hole Ukraine is, long way to EU, and NATO. Where they did find those old soviet cars and apparments. Events well close to real , but I will say west Europe is best if you're rich, all soviet sickens me even kyrlioc alfabet
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.07.2019 - 12:21
Metren
Donkey Hotte
Stranger Things season 3.

It's a comedy series now, apparently. It never was as great as folks made it out to be, but now it's just bad. Shame, because it's a waste of potential since the actors are almost all fantastic and the characters have potential too. Starting with episode 5, it's almost unwatchable for a multifuckton of reasons; The most cliche "evil Russians" You've ever seen, a lame T-1000 rip-off, soldiers being outwitted by kids etc - take Your pick.
----
I am not nor have I ever been a musician or a member of a one-man band, especially a band that has a name that starts with "D".
22.07.2019 - 16:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Metren on 22.07.2019 at 12:21

Stranger Things season 3.

It's a comedy series now, apparently. It never was as great as folks made it out to be, but now it's just bad. Shame, because it's a waste of potential since the actors are almost all fantastic and the characters have potential too. Starting with episode 5, it's almost unwatchable for a multifuckton of reasons; The most cliche "evil Russians" You've ever seen, a lame T-1000 rip-off, soldiers being outwitted by kids etc - take Your pick.

It's clear you didn't grow up in the Eighties with the Eighties films and books which Stranger Things references all over the place.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2019 - 16:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The Stranger Things series is one huge ode to the Eighties.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2019 - 17:14
Metren
Donkey Hotte
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.07.2019 at 16:51

It's clear you didn't grow up in the Eighties with the Eighties films and books which Stranger Things references all over the place.

I'm a 90s kid, born in late 1989, so sure, I didn't grow up in the 80s, but I do recognize many of the references. I love DnD, I recognize most of the songs, I've seen most of the movies and TV shows that Stranger Rings references, etc.

Thing is, the first season was so excellent in terms of writing, directing, acting and the OST that the references were - and still are - the least interesting thing about the show for me. And I know that some viewers who actually did grow up in the 80s feel that way too (Jay Bauman of RedLetterMedia for example). Not only that but when the references are too on the nose, I find it downright annoying. Even in season one - which I loved overall -, when Lucas pulls out the slingshot as a painfully obvious Stephen King's "It" homage, I cringed a bit.

The references add flavor and nostalgia to the series and I am sure a lot of viewers find that incredibly satisfying, but I don't find it enough of a draw on its own. The show also needs to be well-written, which it no longer is IMO. The showrunners really shit the bed with the 2nd season and the 3d one is even more tonally unfocused and even more poorly written, certainly starting with episode 5. The first four episodes were actually quite promising.

Also, I could dig the show becoming more funny and light-hearted, mote A-Team and MacGyver and less Stephen King, if it was at least tonally consistent. But after the first 4 episodes of season 3, the 5th one doesn't feel funny, it feels like a joke.

Add to that the fact that I've never been a very nostalgic beast and maybe You can understand why I no longer care much for the show
----
23.07.2019 - 08:57
Paź
ex-News Man
Chernobyl (2019)

One of the best mini-series in history.
30.07.2019 - 17:46
BitterCOld
waltrsobchakheit
Enjoyed Stranger Things 3, though first season still my fave. Dustin and Steve the best part of it over the last season and a half.

Started Season 3 of Money Heist/Casa de Papel ... you want to talk over the top/absurd 3rd season? Off the rails dialog. But at least it has a dude named Bogota who in one scene is wearing a Slayer t-shirt.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.
15.08.2019 - 15:29
Bad English
Masterchief
Innan Vi Dör (before we die)
One of best Swedish series ever. I can not wait S2
bad I thought it will be more connected whit MC 1% war but no more about croatian mafia.
Where mafia fucks polis and they take law in own hands, as it must be! Be vigilante !!! Great series
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.08.2019 - 03:06
BitterCOld
waltrsobchakheit
Written by Paź on 23.07.2019 at 08:57

Chernobyl (2019)

One of the best mini-series in history.

Heard about that, want to watch it. One of my fave sites I stumbled upon like 15-20 years ago was a girl who took her trusty camera, motorcycle and geiger counter and had a series of pics and words documenting her exploration of the area.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.