TV Series You're Watching

Original post

Posted by , 10.08.2011 - 10:48
Game Of Thrones (2010)

Excellent production, as always with HBO. This could be one of the greatest TV shows of all time as it is based on George R.R. Martin's epic Song Of Ice And Fire saga, but there are a few things that bother me. First of all, Khaal Drogo was a gentleman in the book, but in the series he's a sex-craved neanderthal (it doesn't help that he's played by an actor I last saw on Baywatch). Second, the acting isn't good and the dialogue is quite awful. The exposition scenes are so obviously exposition that it feels like the character is talking to the viewer and not to whomever he/she is sharing the scene with. I would actually prefer a narrator. When Sean Bean declares over-dramatically: "They have no ships, Robert!" it makes me feel like he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about and is just saying the lines he was given. Nobody on the show seems to become one with their role, with the exception of the Lannister brothers. Also, the foreshadowing dialogue scenes (of which there are many), where a character says something like: "There's a war coming, but I don't know when or with who!" (how well informed!) are so awful, that they make me want to throw my coffee at the screen.

It's still a very good show that stays true to the books most of the time, but it wouldn't hurt the actors to actually get to know and love the books and the characters that they are portraying.
22.01.2018 - 06:40
Antimodernist
I´m watching Riverdale and Mister Robot at the moment. I actually love Riverside, it's such an awesome series.

Gonna start re-watching The X Files tomorrow as well.

My all time favourite series: The Vampire Diaries and Sunset Beach.
----
Revolt against the modern world
27.01.2018 - 07:00
Cynic Metalhead
Atrocious Virgin
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 08.01.2018 at 07:28

Mindhunter and Manhunt: Unabomber

Both are terrific.

While still awaiting for S2, I'm finished with Shooter S1.
----
29.01.2018 - 11:29
Paz
Inner Metal Cage
The final season of Bron / Broen is amazing as expected
----
Follow me on Instagram:

06.02.2018 - 17:14
BitterCOld
waltrsobchakheit
Enjoying Altered Carbon thus far... bit of Bladerunner meets Wes World, but still entertaining.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.
06.02.2018 - 17:24
Mercurial
Written by BitterCOld on 06.02.2018 at 17:14

Enjoying Altered Carbon thus far... bit of Bladerunner meets Wes World, but still entertaining.

Yeah, some of dialogue and acting was a tad naff but it was pretty entertaining overall. Maybe not as solid as The Expanse but was a bit more showy and action based (not to mention full-frontal-nudity city) which I can get on board with. I'll definitely dive into a second season if that happens.
16.02.2018 - 22:26
Metren
Dreadrealm 2.0
Three episodes into Skins (2007-2013) and it's already one of my favorite things ever. I guess the exploration of teenage/young adult years in a semi-confrontational, semi-parody way hits a never with me, because I spent those years as a total nerd, sitting in the library till closing hours or practicing my drawing skills at home. Fuck, I've never even been to a nightclub. It's fun to watch an exaggerated version of what might have been, had I actually been a normal person growing up.
----
Dreadrealm's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/ (200 Free Downloads Every Month is Bandcamp's limit)
04.04.2018 - 00:45
ylside
Written by BitterCOld on 09.01.2018 at 03:18

Dirk Gently Season 2 made it to Netflixh. Hooray.

First season good / great / excellent ?

I have the book but not sure when I'll be able to read it if ever.. so I also wonder about that lol.
04.04.2018 - 18:52
BitterCOld
waltrsobchakheit
Written by ylside on 04.04.2018 at 00:45

First season good / great / excellent ?

I have the book but not sure when I'll be able to read it if ever.. so I also wonder about that lol.

Watch it and decide for yourself would be my best advice. It's Max Landis, but, at least season 1, is more focused - though madcap and zany - than some of his other bits.

I rather liked it, second season (and last, it seems) was far more bizarre than the already bizarre first season and didn't quite like it as much. Still it is the type of show that will garner responses all over the spectrum, from love to "meh" to "kill it with fire."

Sorry I can't be more help.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.
05.04.2018 - 22:32
3rdWorld
The Psilosopher
Mr. Robot S3 is the single best series to come out of the entirety of the recent so called golden age of TV. It has surpassed almost everything I have seen till date and all my favorites. It is a pure masterpiece and I find it great that when the writer of the show Sam Esmail took over direction duties as well, the show didn't lose out any of the quality and became even more focused and so unique. This guy has some real chops.
07.04.2018 - 09:14
3rdWorld
The Psilosopher
Westworld is dry and boring. It seems to follow the usual HBO treatment of "more is good" of any material and I'm not a particular fan of the cliched Michael Crichton idea either. I wonder if I will even finish the first season.