Metal Storm logo
TV Series You're Watching

Original post

Posted by Ragana, 05.12.2011 - 22:16
I watched the show before I knew it was based on books but few months ago I started to read the first book (haven't had the chance to read anything besides study materials ever since) and I guess I'm glad I already knew what all characters look like. anyway, recently I spotted the other four books in a bookstore and I think I'll make an exception and buy them (I rarely buy fiction books as I just read them once and then put away, so what's the point of that?)... winter's the coolest season for reading books.

plus, if one's worrying about the language... well, um, practice makes perfect, right? reading books is one of the best ways how to improve your knowledge in any language.
01.05.2019 - 17:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 01.05.2019 at 07:48

S3 premieres on 19th July.

Cool, will be in Spain at the time, though my Spanish is garbage, so thankfully will be on Netflix, nicely subtitled for us all.

Was buying sunglasses at a local outdoor market, the hombre I was buying from had a heavy beard and was wearing a La Casa De Papel t-shirt. When he handed me my change, I said "Gracias, Sr Helsinki". Sadly did not catch the joke/reference. Oh well, at least I tried.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.05.2019 - 07:47
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by BitterCOld on 01.05.2019 at 17:17

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 01.05.2019 at 07:48

S3 premieres on 19th July.

Was buying sunglasses at a local outdoor market, the hombre I was buying from had a heavy beard and was wearing a La Casa De Papel t-shirt. When he handed me my change, I said "Gracias, Sr Helsinki". Sadly did not catch the joke/reference. Oh well, at least I tried.

You did score some brownie points there.

Well, you may have well started singing "Bella Ciao" to see what joke/reference you were talking about.
08.06.2019 - 13:10
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
Written by RaduP on 08.06.2019 at 10:05

Now that the flame war has stopped and I got your attention, anyone watch Chernobyl?

Yes, and it's surprisingly enthralling and disturbing.
My gf stumbled upon "the best-rated TV series of all time" by accident a couple of weeks ago and we really love it.
Too bad there are just five episodes.
----
signatures = SPAM
19.06.2019 - 14:38
Metren
Dreadrealm
Just finished Chernobyl too. Truly, truly excellent mini-series in pretty much every way possible. The best way I could describe it is to compare it to James Cameron's Titanic, but just one specific scene ( TITANIC SPOILERS AHEAD LOL) - the iceberg collision scene. That one scene in Titanic that actually tells the real ship's real story instead of focusing on a garbage love triangle is absolutely outstanding and Chernobyl is like that scene, only it's pretty much always that scene. The character stuff is often predictable, but mostly still very solidly written and there's one line between two main characters in the final episode that had me in tears. Great series, would recommend to everyone.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
19.07.2019 - 12:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Beck - Nice Swedish polis series , I like more Gunvald Larsson a great cop who believes in violence and aggressive behavior, likes beat a shit out of criminals , american cops and I have deep respect to those. they deal in hard way whit real street problems.
Series are good maybe best swe cop series whit Johan Falk and Kurt Wallander, i also like Rebecca Martinsson its made in a north..

Chernobyl
Great series, what a shit hole Ukraine is, long way to EU, and NATO. Where they did find those old soviet cars and apparments. Events well close to real , but I will say west Europe is best if you're rich, all soviet sickens me even kyrlioc alfabet
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.07.2019 - 12:21
Metren
Dreadrealm
Stranger Things season 3.

It's a comedy series now, apparently. It never was as great as folks made it out to be, but now it's just bad. Shame, because it's a waste of potential since the actors are almost all fantastic and the characters have potential too. Starting with episode 5, it's almost unwatchable for a multifuckton of reasons; The most cliche "evil Russians" You've ever seen, a lame T-1000 rip-off, soldiers being outwitted by kids etc - take Your pick.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
22.07.2019 - 16:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Metren on 22.07.2019 at 12:21

Stranger Things season 3.

It's a comedy series now, apparently. It never was as great as folks made it out to be, but now it's just bad. Shame, because it's a waste of potential since the actors are almost all fantastic and the characters have potential too. Starting with episode 5, it's almost unwatchable for a multifuckton of reasons; The most cliche "evil Russians" You've ever seen, a lame T-1000 rip-off, soldiers being outwitted by kids etc - take Your pick.

It's clear you didn't grow up in the Eighties with the Eighties films and books which Stranger Things references all over the place.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2019 - 16:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
The Stranger Things series is one huge ode to the Eighties.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2019 - 17:14
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.07.2019 at 16:51

It's clear you didn't grow up in the Eighties with the Eighties films and books which Stranger Things references all over the place.

I'm a 90s kid, born in late 1989, so sure, I didn't grow up in the 80s, but I do recognize many of the references. I love DnD, I recognize most of the songs, I've seen most of the movies and TV shows that Stranger Rings references, etc.

Thing is, the first season was so excellent in terms of writing, directing, acting and the OST that the references were - and still are - the least interesting thing about the show for me. And I know that some viewers who actually did grow up in the 80s feel that way too (Jay Bauman of RedLetterMedia for example). Not only that but when the references are too on the nose, I find it downright annoying. Even in season one - which I loved overall -, when Lucas pulls out the slingshot as a painfully obvious Stephen King's "It" homage, I cringed a bit.

The references add flavor and nostalgia to the series and I am sure a lot of viewers find that incredibly satisfying, but I don't find it enough of a draw on its own. The show also needs to be well-written, which it no longer is IMO. The showrunners really shit the bed with the 2nd season and the 3d one is even more tonally unfocused and even more poorly written, certainly starting with episode 5. The first four episodes were actually quite promising.

Also, I could dig the show becoming more funny and light-hearted, mote A-Team and MacGyver and less Stephen King, if it was at least tonally consistent. But after the first 4 episodes of season 3, the 5th one doesn't feel funny, it feels like a joke.

Add to that the fact that I've never been a very nostalgic beast and maybe You can understand why I no longer care much for the show
----
23.07.2019 - 08:57
Paz
elite
Chernobyl (2019)

One of the best mini-series in history.
30.07.2019 - 17:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Enjoyed Stranger Things 3, though first season still my fave. Dustin and Steve the best part of it over the last season and a half.

Started Season 3 of Money Heist/Casa de Papel ... you want to talk over the top/absurd 3rd season? Off the rails dialog. But at least it has a dude named Bogota who in one scene is wearing a Slayer t-shirt.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.08.2019 - 15:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Innan Vi Dör (before we die)
One of best Swedish series ever. I can not wait S2
bad I thought it will be more connected whit MC 1% war but no more about croatian mafia.
Where mafia fucks polis and they take law in own hands, as it must be! Be vigilante !!! Great series
----

apos;'
[image]
16.08.2019 - 03:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Paz on 23.07.2019 at 08:57

Chernobyl (2019)

One of the best mini-series in history.

Heard about that, want to watch it. One of my fave sites I stumbled upon like 15-20 years ago was a girl who took her trusty camera, motorcycle and geiger counter and had a series of pics and words documenting her exploration of the area.
----

22.08.2019 - 03:20
Metren
Dreadrealm
Finished episode 4 of The Boys. So far it's brilliant. Cynical, ruthless, disgusting, hilarious, fucking brilliant. By far my new favorite series.
----
24.08.2019 - 02:29
curiousT
I'm rewatching peaky blinder in preparation for the new season, it's just as good the second time around. Only bad part is the show makes me want to smoke and drink, as they are smoking and drinking in every damn scene.
25.08.2019 - 23:17
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Dark (2017)

Finally, I got to be around to some brilliant, intoxicating gritty German thriller series and perhaps, one of the best German thriller series I get to be around. It may give "Strangers Things" to run for their money.
26.08.2019 - 21:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Bron or Broen , we can say Bridge
Swedish adn Danish film about Saga Norden as Criminal Polis Malmö and Martin Breude and Crim Polis Köpenhamn worjks together to fix fuck up case. S1 and S2 is awesome, conected and not connected,. I will rape my ears listen to dam,n Danish, it sounds like half language
----

apos;'
[image]
28.08.2019 - 03:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Urge. to respond. rising.
----

05.10.2019 - 21:40
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I don't know anyone noticed yet but in WWE, a wrestler who goes by the name of Erick Rowan wear various metal tees in his matches.

Fun to watch that guy.
08.11.2019 - 14:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just started Mayans S 2.
----

apos;'
[image]
25.11.2019 - 09:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hemlock Grove
Weird vampire series mix whit ware wolves...somehow I think Netflix is mad for young non metyal people, it cant satfy me whit series and also films
----

apos;'
[image]
09.12.2019 - 19:39
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
South Park is awesome.
09.12.2019 - 21:57
nikarg
staff
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.12.2019 at 19:39

South Park is awesome.

South Park is the best thing that has aired on TV since TV was invented.
16.12.2019 - 20:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I love South Park for tackling everything... and looking at both sides of an issue when doing so. See also: Always Sunny.
----

17.12.2019 - 10:46
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by BitterCOld on 16.12.2019 at 20:57

See also: Always Sunny.

Check Band in China. Ignore if you have already watched.
20.12.2019 - 10:18
Paz
elite
The Witcher starts today... I'm hyped.
20.12.2019 - 12:45
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Paz on 20.12.2019 at 10:18

The Witcher starts today... I'm hyped.

I was about to write this

Also really looking forward to it. My expectations are pretty high, especially because Henry Cavill is obviously a big fan of the books and the games. If nothing else, I know he will bring his A-game.
----
21.12.2019 - 08:25
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Interested in Witcher, but skeptical. will get around to it probably when back in Colombia.
----

21.12.2019 - 14:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I made the mistake of hovering over it so Netflix auto-played their little trailer (I usually avoid them so as to avoid building expectation) but to me it looks like a typical action drama with cheesy dialog and over-edited fight sequences.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.12.2019 - 16:22
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2019 at 14:52

I made the mistake of hovering over it so Netflix auto-played their little trailer (I usually avoid them so as to avoid building expectation) but to me it looks like a typical action drama with cheesy dialog and over-edited fight sequences.

That's probably what it'll end up being

The two things they have going for them are Henry and the source material. I doubt any hardcore Witcher fan is expecting a Netflix series to live up to the books.
----