Metal Storm logo
Welcome Newcomers!

Original post

Posted by Warman, 03.05.2008 - 23:14
Written by IllNiñoSweden on 30.04.2008 at 17:12

More than a half year here on MetalStorm. I only say very good work with this metal page. Thanks Ivan.

And I hope you'll stay man!
17.06.2020 - 21:20
nikarg
Staff
Written by Mampus on 17.06.2020 at 14:23

Hi Im new,
Love Metal again after maybe a 10 year gap.
Hope to learn about some great bands from you guys!
Thanks for letting me join!

Hello and welcome! Never too late to love metal again, I guess.
27.08.2020 - 18:34
brimarsh
I joined Metal Storm earlier this month, but just started using super frequently this week. I took a few "gap years" from metal (and music altogether) for personal reasons, but I'm getting back into it again full-swing. I joined another metal community recently (won't name drop), but I was not a fan of how they treated people so I left. It's a far more friendly atmosphere here, and I look forward to hanging out!
27.08.2020 - 21:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by brimarsh on 27.08.2020 at 18:34

I joined Metal Storm earlier this month, but just started using super frequently this week. I took a few "gap years" from metal (and music altogether) for personal reasons, but I'm getting back into it again full-swing. I joined another metal community recently (won't name drop), but I was not a fan of how they treated people so I left. It's a far more friendly atmosphere here, and I look forward to hanging out!

I've taken breaks from the scene myself and as of last year came back into it more seriously, but I don't think I'd be as into it now if I didn't take years off over the course of my time on this site.

We aim to curb negativity directed towards people in the forum here by way of warning and bans for users who cross the line, so hopefully you feel more welcomed here than where you were previously.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.08.2020 - 21:48
brimarsh
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.08.2020 at 21:45

I've taken breaks from the scene myself and as of last year came back into it more seriously, but I don't think I'd be as into it now if I didn't take years off over the course of my time on this site.

We aim to curb negativity directed towards people in the forum here by way of warning and bans for users who cross the line, so hopefully you feel more welcomed here than where you were previously.

I was more welcomed here on my first day than I was there in my first two weeks, so cheers to that!
31.08.2020 - 22:51
nikarg
Staff

Welcome to Metal Storm! I think most people take a break from metal but almost all of us do come back eventually
31.08.2020 - 23:38
brimarsh
Written by nikarg on 31.08.2020 at 22:51

Welcome to Metal Storm! I think most people take a break from metal but almost all of us do come back eventually

I've always been more hobbyist than hardcore in my tenure which probably explains why it comes and goes for me. It's just nice to not feel a sense of condescension from the more dedicated listeners here.
18.01.2021 - 15:26
Qualeen
Hey everyone:) My name is Mateusz but you can call me either that or by my username. I've just registered and I drew the conclusion that this is an "introductory" thread of sorts, so I thought I'd say hi here. I first got into metal through a buddy in middle school over ten years ago. He was probably the embodiment of every metal stereotype that ever existed. A super cool guy nonetheless. He shared a song with me once, pretty sure it was "Flight of Icarus" by Iron Maiden. And from that point onwards, I was hooked.

My parents are fundamentalist Christians so for the longest time I couldn't feel comfortable buying records and merch and whatnot. So I spent like the first year of being into metal just listening to shit on YouTube secretly. But as time went on I grew more confident and started buying records and became more comfortable admitting what I listened to. Now I'm 23 y.o. and I don't care what any of my God-loving folks will say about me listening to Belphegor on Christmas Eve. So yeah, that's me
----
So imminently visible - this cloaked innocent guilt
Sentenced to a lifetime, a second of structured chaos
Trampled by the ferocious, raging crowds of solitude
I'm the soil beneath me soaking up the sustenance of my own death.
[Meshuggah]
18.01.2021 - 15:36
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Qualeen on 18.01.2021 at 15:26

Hey everyone:) My name is Mateusz but you can call me either that or by my username. I've just registered and I drew the conclusion that this is an "introductory" thread of sorts, so I thought I'd say hi here. I first got into metal through a buddy in middle school over ten years ago. He was probably the embodiment of every metal stereotype that ever existed. A super cool guy nonetheless. He shared a song with me once, pretty sure it was "Flight of Icarus" by Iron Maiden. And from that point onwards, I was hooked.

My parents are fundamentalist Christians so for the longest time I couldn't feel comfortable buying records and merch and whatnot. So I spent like the first year of being into metal just listening to shit on YouTube secretly. But as time went on I grew more confident and started buying records and became more comfortable admitting what I listened to. Now I'm 23 y.o. and I don't care what any of my God-loving folks will say about me listening to Belphegor on Christmas Eve. So yeah, that's me

Welcome! And thank You for sharing that story, I am sure a lot of us can relate
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
18.01.2021 - 17:15
nikarg
Staff
Welcome Mateusz!
18.01.2021 - 21:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Wellcome dude
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.01.2021 - 23:27
Qualeen
Nice to meet you all \m/
----
So imminently visible - this cloaked innocent guilt
Sentenced to a lifetime, a second of structured chaos
Trampled by the ferocious, raging crowds of solitude
I'm the soil beneath me soaking up the sustenance of my own death.
[Meshuggah]
14.06.2021 - 03:38
Rexorcist
OK, my first pkst on the site is the 1000th post on this forum. Is this a message, God?

Howdy. Name's LightningRider. I've been raised on hard rock and heavy metal by my parents. With that and growing up with a lot of modern pop on the radio, I've grown to explore practically every genre known to man. That includes the crazy experimental electronic stuff you never hear on the radio.

I used to be known as JGuy on Rateyourmusic, but the mods were being dishonest and unfair with me. Asking around, the mods weren't very well trusted there, and the site has a lot of problems that only two site developers are working on very slowly. So I left. Now I'm looking for a new community to hang on.

I pretty much love metal in general. I may be a follower of God, but I've heard a few satanic bands. Having said that, NO BATHORY. They make it all too clear with their earlier albums that the really hate followers of God. But don't get me wrong: I'd only hate you if you think I would hate atheists. I'll love and hate whoever I damn well want.

As for my musical tastes, I love metal in general. I've heard over 1500 metal albums mostly centering around power metal, thrash metal, heavy metal, black metal, prog metal and metalcore. My favorite metal acts are Metallica, Blind Guardian, My Dying Bride, Black Sabbath, Neurosis, Scorpions, Helloween, Immortal, Dream Theater and Queensryche.
14.06.2021 - 04:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Rexorcist on 14.06.2021 at 03:38

OK, my first pkst on the site is the 1000th post on this forum. Is this a message, God?

Howdy. Name's LightningRider. I've been raised on hard rock and heavy metal by my parents. With that and growing up with a lot of modern pop on the radio, I've grown to explore practically every genre known to man. That includes the crazy experimental electronic stuff you never hear on the radio.

I used to be known as JGuy on Rateyourmusic, but the mods were being dishonest and unfair with me. Asking around, the mods weren't very well trusted there, and the site has a lot of problems that only two site developers are working on very slowly. So I left. Now I'm looking for a new community to hang on.

I pretty much love metal in general. I may be a follower of God, but I've heard a few satanic bands. Having said that, NO BATHORY. They make it all too clear with their earlier albums that the really hate followers of God. But don't get me wrong: I'd only hate you if you think I would hate atheists. I'll love and hate whoever I damn well want.

As for my musical tastes, I love metal in general. I've heard over 1500 metal albums mostly centering around power metal, thrash metal, heavy metal, black metal, prog metal and metalcore. My favorite metal acts are Metallica, Blind Guardian, My Dying Bride, Black Sabbath, Neurosis, Scorpions, Helloween, Immortal, Dream Theater and Queensryche.

Firstly, welcome to the site.

Secondly, there is a rolling post count that deletes after 1000 posts in a thread so your divine intervention isn't relevant.

Thirdly, glad to hear you're one of an open mind when it comes to music. You'll fit in well here not being restricted to metalhead elitism. We even have a monthly article dedicated to reviews of non-metal music for those who want to spend time here while also reading up on the latest pop/ambient/hiphop/folk/etc releases.

As for your religious inclinations, we can take them or leave them. So long as you don't try to censor others or dictate what they enjoy, you'll do well enough to be yourself. But if you start acting up about telling people what they can and can't do based on your personal beliefs, you'll likely end up enjoying a time out,

You mentioned Immortal among your personal favorites -- what's your take on their legal drama and latest release?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.06.2021 - 04:46
Rexorcist
A: Shit. Well it was cool while it lasted.

B: Don't worry about me. I willingly joined a website all about the metal scene knowing it had several scenes linked to paganism. I've spent eight years on other music forums being aware of this, so if I wasn't used to it by now I'd be one sad motherfucker. Plus, I'm a willing Slayer fan. Seasons of the Abyss is flawless.

C: I never once thought only one member should have exclusive rights to the name unless he's the only original member left and has replacements. I think what Demonaz did was a little dirty to say the least. IMO, since the two are the only members left, they should share the rights.

So why do you ask? Is it just because I loe Immortal, or is this an ongoing discussion on site?
30.07.2021 - 00:13
Brutal Water
I probably should have introduced myself here back when I joined two years ago (fuck, has it already been two years?) Oh well, better late than never.

Not sure what to say about myself. I've worked as a security guard for various shows before. Between that job and my personal interest I must have seen over 200 bands live by now. The closest I ever got to an actual rock star was when I was guarding the entrance to the stage at a Kid Rock show. Not into Kid Rock, but still, that was cool. First security job was at a Machine Head show, which was also nice, because I haven't seen them live before at that point.

Worst show ever? It was a German "punk" band called Die Ärzte ("The Doctors"). The target audience was about 14 to 16 years old and it was a sold out show with 16000 kids. The problem with kids at that age is that they don't know their own limit regarding alcohol, so it was an evening full of annoying brats trying to get backstage and I was guarding one of the backstage entrances that night. Ugh. By comparison, the next show I was at was Smashing Pumpkins and that audience is 20+ years old. No obnoxious drunkards that night, plus I find their music more enjoyable as well.

BTW, was it just me or is Serj Tankian lip syncing? I was in front of the stage at a festival and I noticed that his voice had a... different audio quality to it when compared to the rest of the bands that day. Aside from that, he never addressed the venue or town by name. Then at one point between two songs he was asking, "When you look around you, what do you see?" Collective shrug, after which he asked a second time. His answer: "Walls!" I was like, dude, WTF are you talking about? From his point of view, there was only one wall visible (it was an open air show) and the wall behind him if that counts; the venue was open into all other directions. Seriously, was this some pre-recorded stuff? Not trying to annoy any fans of him; I'm genuinely wondering.

Loudest show ever was Slayer in 2002. Most quiet show ever was Slayer in 2016. What the hell happened there? Did they consciously turn down the volume due to Tom's failing hearing?

Anyway, what else can I say about myself that's metal? I got married in a haunted castle. I'll skip the actual ghost story of the place for now, because this post is already too long.

Oh and I'm playing video games, like a lot of them. I already posted about that in the video game topic. Love Hack and Slash games, because I love tight controls and as a bonus, some of them have pretty metal soundtracks. (Not Bayonetta though. That one has the most boring and lamest soundtrack I ever heard.)

Favorite writers are Edgar Allan Poe and H.P. Lovecraft. I recently finished reading all of Lovecraft's short stories and novellas, including all his collabs (hence the avatar). Man, those two writers had some damn beautiful prose.

One last thing: I love horror movies, books and games. Probably not much of a surprise.

I guess that's it. Sorry if this post is a tad too long. I smoke a lot of pot, so sometimes I start to ramble. Not much of a drinker, though.
----
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
30.07.2021 - 12:22
Zap
Written by Brutal Water on 30.07.2021 at 00:13

I probably should have introduced myself here back when I joined two years ago (fuck, has it already been two years?) Oh well, better late than never.

I've been here 10 years and never introduced myself, haha. Just started talking shit on album threads and calling people retards until I realized (read: someone pointed out) that maybe that's not a way to behave on the internet, or anywhere else for that matter.

Quote:

Worst show ever? It was a German "punk" band called Die Ärzte ("The Doctors"). The target audience was about 14 to 16 years old and it was a sold out show with 16000 kids. The problem with kids at that age is that they don't know their own limit regarding alcohol, so it was an evening full of annoying brats trying to get backstage and I was guarding one of the backstage entrances that night. Ugh.

That description reads like an actual nightmare.

Quote:

BTW, was it just me or is Serj Tankian lip syncing? I was in front of the stage at a festival and I noticed that his voice had a... different audio quality to it when compared to the rest of the bands that day. Aside from that, he never addressed the venue or town by name. Then at one point between two songs he was asking, "When you look around you, what do you see?" Collective shrug, after which he asked a second time. His answer: "Walls!" I was like, dude, WTF are you talking about? From his point of view, there was only one wall visible (it was an open air show) and the wall behind him if that counts; the venue was open into all other directions. Seriously, was this some pre-recorded stuff? Not trying to annoy any fans of him; I'm genuinely wondering.

I've never seen SOAD live but in the few live videos I've seen he's definitely not lip syncing. The difference in audio quality could be due to a different mic than the support bands/other bands at the festival (this is a thing; Metallica will use different mics than whoever their support act is, because they can afford the best equipment).

That said, the rest of your description really does make it seem like he was lip syncing. Especially that "walls" thing is just bizarre. Maybe he was on drugs?

Quote:

Loudest show ever was Slayer in 2002. Most quiet show ever was Slayer in 2016. What the hell happened there?

Hahaha
30.07.2021 - 12:46
Brutal Water
Quote:

That description reads like an actual nightmare.

I was also working at a Linkin Park show at one point which was also full of teenagers, but those weren't nearly as bad. Quite funny actually, because some kid talked to me for a few minutes and said, "Most people here only know Linkin Park since [insert song title that I forgot], but I have already known them since Somwhere I Belong." I had to bite down on my lip to stop myself from telling him, "I've already hated them since Crawling."

Quote:

I've never seen SOAD live but in the few live videos I've seen he's definitely not lip syncing. The difference in audio quality could be due to a different mic than the support bands/other bands at the festival (this is a thing; Metallica will use different mics than whoever their support act is, because they can afford the best equipment).

That said, the rest of your description really does make it seem like he was lip syncing. Especially that "walls" thing is just bizarre. Maybe he was on drugs?

If he was indeed singing live, then damn, he would have been the best singer I ever heard. It was his solo project rather than SOAD, and there were lots of melodic and harmonic songs. He held every high note beautifully without a single fuck-up. The performance was just TOO perfect.

I suppose I should give him the benefit of the doubt. He's got talent for sure.
----
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
30.07.2021 - 16:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Zap on 30.07.2021 at 12:22

Written by Brutal Water on 30.07.2021 at 00:13

I've been here 10 years and never introduced myself, haha. Just started talking shit on album threads and calling people retards until I realized (read: someone pointed out) that maybe that's not a way to behave on the internet, or anywhere else for that matter.

Neither did I.

Perhaps someday...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
30.07.2021 - 16:28
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oh, wait! I actually did! Just read my posts some pages below
----
- Reimu Hakurei
01.08.2021 - 11:26
Zap
Written by Brutal Water on 30.07.2021 at 12:46

If he was indeed singing live, then damn, he would have been the best singer I ever heard. It was his solo project rather than SOAD, and there were lots of melodic and harmonic songs. He held every high note beautifully without a single fuck-up. The performance was just TOO perfect.

I suppose I should give him the benefit of the doubt. He's got talent for sure.

Hmm, this makes it seem more like he was lip syncing because the reason I mentioned those SOAD live videos being obviously live is because he was often off key, haha.
01.08.2021 - 11:28
Zap
Written by Karlabos on 30.07.2021 at 16:28

Oh, wait! I actually did! Just read my posts some pages below

Not gonna bother searching for it, but a belated welcome
08.09.2021 - 18:15
xsim7
Hello metalheads .
I am glad to join this lovely community. I am a Greek guy living in Paris France, passionate about music especially metal (heavy, prog, power, epic), progressive rock and sometimes jazz fusion.
Favorite bands include: Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, King Crimson, Accept, Megadeth, etc.
Happy to discover new music and/or discuss on existing stuff ! Cheers and keep on rocking in the free world
08.09.2021 - 19:58
nikarg
Staff
Written by xsim7 on 08.09.2021 at 18:15

Hello metalheads .

Hello fellow metalhead and fellow Greek
Welcome to Metal Storm! Please take some time to read this section. There is a lot to discover in MS, I am sure you will enjoy it.
08.09.2021 - 20:38
Desha
delicious dish
Don't think I've introduced myself either. How wise I was, knowing not to post
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
08.09.2021 - 20:42
nikarg
Staff
Written by Desha on 08.09.2021 at 20:38

Don't think I've introduced myself either. How wise I was, knowing not to post

It's never too late
08.09.2021 - 21:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 08.09.2021 at 19:58

Hello metalheads .

Welcome to Metal Storm! Please take some time to read this section. There is a lot to discover in MS, I am sure you will enjoy it.

I think he is from Pireus
----

apos;'
[image]
08.09.2021 - 21:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Hello metalheads .
I am glad to join this lovely community. I am a Greek guy living in Paris France, passionate about music especially metal (heavy, prog, power, epic), progressive rock and sometimes jazz fusion.
Favorite bands include: Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, King Crimson, Accept, Megadeth, etc.
Happy to discover new music and/or discuss on existing stuff ! Cheers and keep on rocking in the free world

Wellcome dude, I hope you stay 7 winters here and even more.
----

apos;'
[image]
08.09.2021 - 21:54
xsim7
Written by Bad English on 08.09.2021 at 21:37

Hello metalheads .

Good catch due to 7 I guess. I am not from Pireus but I support the team of Pireus! Thanks to all of you people for the welcome! So nice to be here
08.09.2021 - 22:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by xsim7 on 08.09.2021 at 21:54

Written by Bad English on 08.09.2021 at 21:37

Hello metalheads .

Good catch due to 7 I guess. I am not from Pireus but I support the team of Pireus! Thanks to all of you people for the welcome! So nice to be here

Peiraikos Syndesmos or Ethnikos Piraeus
Greece and Cyprus is funny in a way that number says what football team you support.
Wellcome...

Btw I am drunk. I did bbq last summer day before autumn storms n rain come. Not suprise if first snow will come in September
----

apos;'
[image]
09.09.2021 - 01:07
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
You know someone is really drunk when he feels the need to tell the others he's drunk =p
----
- Reimu Hakurei