2 - Skirmish Above HD 10180 h
    3 - Interstellar Lands
    4 - Black Ore
    5 - Lair Of The Time-Ghouls
    6 - Progeny Echoes
02. (Petrified In The) Hypogean Gaol
03. The Arctic Chasm
04. Planetary Hypnosis

How confident do you have to be in your ability to open up your debut album with a 25 minute long tech death/thrash metal song?

This is precisely what happens on England's Cryptic Shift (formerly known under the much cooler name of Crÿptic Shift)'s debut full length album, Visitations From Enceladus, and honestly just that track along would be enough to turn some heads, but the other three tracks, none of which are over 8 minutes in runtime, wrap this up to be a very promising debut. You'll find this album often compared to Blood Incantation's Hidden History Of The Human Race, and not only because it follows the same tracklist formula, but with the long song as an opener instead of a closer, but also because... well... tech metal about eldrich aliens.

This is a genre that has had its fair share of popularity, from cult classics like Timeghoul, Nocturnus, Atheist and Gorguts to newer cases like the aforementioned Blood Incantation, as well as Nucleus and Chthe'ilist. Each with its own nuances and specifics, but Cryptic Shift don't owe their dues just to the death metal side of the eldrich tech sound. They seem keen on splicing some thrash as well, mostly of the Vektor, Obliveon and Watchtower variety. That's a lot of namedropping of some really esteemed bands. Following up the path of bands past isn't enough, but Visitations From Enceladus earns its comparisons, by playing around with both of these sounds, and by making some of the most feverish cosmic metal out there.

Though the death metal side of the coin is heavier than the thrash metal one, it is the combination of the two that makes this sound so interesting. Though the vocals don't really leave the grunty death territories, having thrash riffs sprinkled through the bass noodling is always a plus. The execution of this blend of sounds is absolutely amazing on this record, constantly shifting gears and switching riffs, knowing when to be chaotic and when to mellow things down, moving in between thrash and death territories, and offering some ambient breaks in between sporadically, there is always something demanding your attention even if it sounds familiar. And most importantly it all complements itself really well, in the sense that it doesn't feel like the band just threw whatever technical noodling they had at a wall and saw what stuck, there's clearly an ebb and flow even through the massive opener, but also in between the other tracks as well.

All things considered, Cryptic Shift have enough dues to pay to their influences, but they do more than just rehashing an old sound, both by blending two similar ones and by being absolutely terrific at it. When the time comes, other reviews of similar stuff will namedrop Cryptic Shift.

Written on 23.07.2020 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 119 users
23.07.2020 - 23:59
Rating: 9
arto adnan

I am really enjoying this album. Another album from the UK I found excellent this year is Reflections Upon Darkness
by Rannoch; the band not even listed in Metal Storm.

Nice review as usual from you. If you have time please check the Rannoch's album at https://rannoch-uk.bandcamp.com/album/reflections-upon-darkness.
24.07.2020 - 10:09
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by arto adnan on 23.07.2020 at 23:59

I am really enjoying this album. Another album from the UK I found excellent this year is Reflections Upon Darkness
by Rannoch; the band not even listed in Metal Storm.

Nice review as usual from you. If you have time please check the Rannoch's album at https://rannoch-uk.bandcamp.com/album/reflections-upon-darkness.

Thank you for the recc, but I'm pretty sure Rannoch is here already.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
18.09.2020 - 06:05
Rating: 10
sgtrobo

Hell, this is pretty incredible stuff, seems like a low rating for something so impressive
18.09.2020 - 07:52
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by sgtrobo on 18.09.2020 at 06:05

Hell, this is pretty incredible stuff, seems like a low rating for something so impressive

I'm in need of a re-listen, probably after work tomorrow, but from what I remember I'd say -- analytically speaking -- it deserves at least an 8.5 (on par with Defeated Sanity's latest, for similar reasons). Not sure what I'd score it on a personal level just yet but not surprised to see it sitting below an 8 right now. It doesn't tick the accessible boxes needed to please a wider audience range, but it'll be regarded as an instant classic by many who appreciate this kind of metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.09.2020 - 17:04
sgtrobo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.09.2020 at 07:52

Not sure what I'd score it on a personal level just yet but not surprised to see it sitting below an 8 right now. It doesn't tick the accessible boxes needed to please a wider audience range, but it'll be regarded as an instant classic by many who appreciate this kind of metal.

this makes sense. it definitely isn't your standard Cannibal Corpse/Deicide type release, so I suppose it takes a certain acquired taste to enjoy it. For me so far, it's my DM AotY, but we'll see, there is still a lot of time yet
30.11.2020 - 07:11
sgtrobo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.09.2020 at 07:52

Written by sgtrobo on 18.09.2020 at 06:05

I'm in need of a re-listen, probably after work tomorrow, but from what I remember I'd say -- analytically speaking -- it deserves at least an 8.5 (on par with Defeated Sanity's latest, for similar reasons). Not sure what I'd score it on a personal level just yet but not surprised to see it sitting below an 8 right now. It doesn't tick the accessible boxes needed to please a wider audience range, but it'll be regarded as an instant classic by many who appreciate this kind of metal.

one of these days you oughta throw a review up on this, if you don't have any other reviews pending
25.09.2021 - 03:56
Rating: 7
tintinb

It does get a bit boring after a few listens. I can't remember a single passage, no memorable bits. Usually some albums get better after multiple listens, this one just turned to the worse.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 2688 | This month: 3