06. Fire In The Sky
07. Necronomicon
08. Slaves To The Parasites
09. Reborn
10. Roswell 47
11. God Is A Lie
12. Deathrow (No Regrets)
13. Total Desaster [bonus]

After the very good album The Arrival, I was really wondering what Hypocrisy could offer us this time. I was actually a bit afraid that they would slowly run out of ideas, considering they've produced ten studio albums in just thirteen years. But no, not if you have a genius called Peter Tägtgren in your band. He never lets his fans down.

Virus is a great album, a perfect symbiosis of brutality, rawness, melody, atmosphere and catchiness. It's like listening to some sort of synthesis of "old" and "new" Hypocrisy. Virus starts with a great fast-paced song called Warpath, which happens to be my favourite from the album. I think that this song represents all the qualities for which Hypocrisy are famous for. All the other songs are also great although none of them step out in any particular way. Perhaps only the last track which beautifully finishes the album called Living To Die which is actually some sort of slow-paced Death Metal ballad, where Peter shows us that he also has a great clean vocal technique.

The overall band performance is constantly on a very high level, but I would especially like to praise Horgh's drumming. Horgh shows us not only his Death Metal abilities but also his Black Metal skills that he used to use in Immortal and mainly variegates the album with that. The production is flawless, done by none other than Peter himself in his Abyss Studio.

Virus is definitely one of the greatest Death Metal albums of the 21st century which shows us that Hypocrisy still has a lot to offer us. I would recommend it to any kind of Death Metal fan; you definitely won't be disappointed after hearing it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Silent Creeper | 12.07.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 238 users
12.07.2007 - 14:00
ylside

Very Enjoyable album, I like Warpath very much!

Do you really think it's one of the greatest DM albums ? Kind of exagerated.
12.07.2007 - 14:34
Rating: 10
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Maybe not one of the greatest DM albums, though really good, one of my favourite Hypocrisy album, together with The Arrival...
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
12.07.2007 - 14:46
Rating: 8
Sunioj

Well, this album is certainly one of my favorite melodeth albums from that year, but greatest...thats a strong word. It is a very good album, better than the arrival by far and Horghs drumming is good on the album, it really suits the album. Hypocrisy's lyrics this time around were more gore orientated ( let the knife do the talking, blooddrenched, craving for another killing )...this album kicks ass..8.5 from me.
21.07.2007 - 02:00
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Absolutely astounding album...gets 9.0 form me. Probably shouldnt be classified as Death Metal anymore, but more what Melodic Death SHOULD sound like
17.06.2008 - 16:45
Rating: 9
Hamird
Lieutenant
This album is the best work that Peter Tagtgren has ever done.. amazing songs and great performance + best production made this album an original sound of melodic death metal.
14.12.2008 - 10:09
amerislave
Account deleted
The intro and "warpath" are great lead ins. awesome album......you are right the drums are great.
14.12.2008 - 19:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
This album sounds like also could be named ''The Symphony of the Inter-galactic War!!'' Man thats a awesome album War-path could be used to make Amv's with Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
06.06.2009 - 04:17
Rating: 10
AbdelioR

This album is epic
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.
03.08.2009 - 18:49
GamlaSonn

Written by Guest on 21.07.2007 at 02:00

Absolutely astounding album...gets 9.0 form me. Probably shouldnt be classified as Death Metal anymore, but more what Melodic Death SHOULD sound like

Agreed. Need more brutal melodeath
04.05.2021 - 18:03
BlankFile

Really amazing álbum. Powerfull, heavy, melodic, great production. The band made an excellent work here.

"War-Path" is a killer song.

Hits total: 8839 | This month: 5