04. Morthond
05. Marching Homewards
06. Orthanc
07. Ungolianth
08. Dagor Bragollach
09. Through The Forest Of Dol Guldur
10. The Legend Of The Master-Ring
11. Dor Daedeloth

Minas Morgul, the second Summoning album, was released just six months after their debut "Lugburz", when the band was still pretty unknown even if they were already under Napalm Records. This was also their breakthrough album, with which they became known to a larger metal audience and still remains as one of the most appreciated Black Metal releases.

Nowadays fans of so called "true" Black Metal would probably shudder at the fact that the songs are actually based on keyboards, drum programming and (nowadays) over-used Lord Of The Rings lyrical themes. But not in the Summoning case. They were actually one of the very first Black Metal bands that used Tolkien's themes in their lyrics (other bands used them more or less only for the band names or nicknames of band members) and also in a very unique way that probably no other band will ever be able to achieve.

Let's go to the music. Keyboards and drum programming give Minas Morgul an amazing sound, which other instruments or real drums never could. The keyboards create an amazing epic atmosphere while drum programming gives album medieval feeling and doesn't sound artificial at all (as in many cases it does); you sometimes actually think that you are listening to the real Middle Age percussions. Guitars and bass are used only as accompaniment and that's a great thing which gives the keyboards and drum programming a much more notable part. All the instruments are also played in a pretty slow tempo that makes the songs more epic. The vocals are done by both members, Protector and Silenius and prevent any parts from sounding monotonous or anything like that. They both have pretty special vocals, some sort of low-pitched shriek which fits amazingly with this kind of musical/lyrical concept. Minas Morgul also has perfect "low-budget" production which isn't too raw but also not sterile and fits the album perfectly.

It is very hard to say which songs are the best, because every single one of the them is amazing in its own special way, including the first song Soul Wandering and the sixth one that is called Orthanc, which are both instrumental. To conclude, this album is one of the most perfect pieces of Black Metal art and that's why it deserves nothing less than a perfect ten.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by Silent Creeper | 12.07.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 195 users
12.07.2007 - 14:32
Rating: 9
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Great album IMO, though rating is too high...
Good review anyway!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
29.09.2007 - 14:02
Sunioj

Yeah, the rating is a bit high, I would probably rate this an 8 or 7 smth. Anyway, I really enjoy this album because I am really into Selinius' voice, which makes this band sound more appealing to me. A few songs didn't really work with me...I think thats because of the abscence of the guitars or vocals. Anywho, good albun.
20.01.2008 - 17:10
Rating: 4
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Haven't made it past song 9 in two listenings. Jeez, this shit is boring.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.01.2008 - 00:15
VPeter

to high as well, there are some tedious songs who hinder the album from flowing good
18.04.2009 - 16:14
Lord_Regnier

Summoning's second album, and the first to show this band as an atmospheric metal band. "Lugburz" had atmospheric elements and parts but it was a raw BM album.

This album is also their only atmospheric album that features fast drums on some parts here and there. After "Minas Morgul", Summoning never used relatively fast drums, except on the song "Mirkwood" and two songs on "Stronghold".

It's surely one of their best albums and probably my favorite, though it depends a bit on my mood.

The album sounds very epic, medieval, and special. I can't think of any other record that sounds exactly like it. Some people say this album is too cheaply produced and would be better with more polished production. I don't think so. I believe it's perfect like it is. If it was more polished, there would be a danger for it to sound a bit cheesy at times.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
30.09.2009 - 18:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Great album too...i am not returning to it that often as to others, but there are still highlights on it - Lugburz, Dagor Bragollach, The Legend Of The Master-Ring...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.12.2017 - 20:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Drum programing is every BM and music let down, downfall, it is like a burden what you need to draug and it slows you down, every band what use real drummer can jump higher even satanic bands I hate if use real drummer, musically are more njojable. keyboards here is bad as well but there are bands what can find proper use of them, all must be real
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8876 | This month: 17