Metal Storm logo
Games Music

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 29.05.2006 - 03:53
Well, this is simple. Since there are a lot of bands or musicians that only do music for games, it would be cool that you mention bands or musicians from games that you like. Example: I like a lot Econoline Crush from the PS game Sled Storm, Saki Kaskas from various Need for Speed versions, and obviously the VRock station form GTA Vice City. You can mention only the game if you want to, since not all the games have music credits.
10.08.2009 - 12:07
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Hell, none of you mentioned Hitoshi Sakimoto when it comes to great composers! He's done the Final Fantasy Tactics OST (not alone though) and especially the Vagrant Story one. Check it out, it's pretty amazing, really dark and moody (many metal bands never achieve to be this somber)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
10.08.2009 - 13:51
Smurfophagist
I always liked the Tristram theme in Diablo 1. that's awesome.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
12.08.2009 - 22:55
routa
Account deleted
Written by Smurfophagist on 10.08.2009 at 13:51

I always liked the Tristram theme in Diablo 1. that's awesome.

I suppose it's similar to D2's Tristram theme? D2 has some other gems too.

As for other good ones, main themes from Soul Reavers 1 & 2 come to mind.
15.08.2009 - 01:27
Meep
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 10.08.2009 at 12:07

Hell, none of you mentioned Hitoshi Sakimoto when it comes to great composers! He's done the Final Fantasy Tactics OST (not alone though) and especially the Vagrant Story one. Check it out, it's pretty amazing, really dark and moody (many metal bands never achieve to be this somber)

He's a total genius and no mistake, particularly for those two you mentioned as well as FF12 and also Odin Sphere. I remember actually buying the Vagrant Story s/t many years ago before I knew about torrenting etc.

Another addition I'd make to this is Shoji Meguro of the Shin Megami Tensei, Digital Devil Saga etc series. He's pretty amazing tbh.
15.08.2009 - 02:31
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Guest on 15.08.2009 at 01:27

Written by Darkside Momo on 10.08.2009 at 12:07

He's a total genius and no mistake, particularly for those two you mentioned as well as FF12 and also Odin Sphere. I remember actually buying the Vagrant Story s/t many years ago before I knew about torrenting etc.

Yeah I forgot FF12, which I found good for the mood of the game, but overall less memorable. I never heard the Odin Sphere OST however...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
16.08.2009 - 12:26
Skøllgrim
Northern
Ah, video game music, there are so many incredible songs out there

Some of my favourites:
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbrush Symphony
The Curse of Monkey Island - Intro
Mega Man X - Spark Mandrill Theme
Lord of the rings vol.1 - intro
Lagoon - prince of darkness (Intro)

All songs can be found on youtube
21.08.2009 - 14:45
Trerot
Written by Skøllgrim on 16.08.2009 at 12:26

Ah, video game music, there are so many incredible songs out there

Some of my favourites:
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbrush Symphony
The Curse of Monkey Island - Intro
Mega Man X - Spark Mandrill Theme
Lord of the rings vol.1 - intro
Lagoon - prince of darkness (Intro)

All songs can be found on youtube

Lagoon intro is kick ass
also i kinda like the Chrono Trigger boss theme and more of those
Terranigma had some great music as well.
and The Legend of Zelda series

And I agree, A lot of game music is great!
Old is gold(pre 2000 game music is the best IMO)
21.08.2009 - 15:54
Skøllgrim
Northern
Written by Trerot on 21.08.2009 at 14:45

Lagoon intro is kick ass
also i kinda like the Chrono Trigger boss theme and more of those
Terranigma had some great music as well.
and The Legend of Zelda series

And I agree, A lot of game music is great!
Old is gold(pre 2000 game music is the best IMO)

Oh absolutely agreed, I'm more of a 16-bit listener myself, the times where the music on the games were like... songs.. instead of just background noise... good times.
Oh anyway, if you're into this kind of music (Video game music) check out the covers / tributes over at places like:
http://dod.vgmix.com/ Seems to be metal / rock oriented
http://www.ocremix.org/ Wide selection of different styles
03.03.2010 - 11:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
My god, were do I start with this? If I had to make a list of my fave game music Id be here all day!

If a game features god music, there's no doubt it can greatly enhance my enjoyment of a game. And if the soundtrack sucks, even if the game itself is good, it can have a detrimental effect on the playing experience.
03.03.2010 - 21:08
Fat & Sassy!
elite
I'd have to say that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is my favorite soundtrack ever. It's so diverse, but each song fits the mood for the specific areas in the game so well... It's really nothing short of genius. Couple of my favs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls0DMEwMO0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls0DMEwMO0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3zIJ5wgaA8

Ain't nothing like slaying Dracula's demon minions to a jazzy jam! :O

Oh, and who could forget the AWESOME OST for Katamari Damacy?! OK, Mr. Sunshine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCngZZFG7r8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q42TCTJSyg

03.03.2010 - 21:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 03.03.2010 at 21:08

I'd have to say that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is my favorite soundtrack ever. It's so diverse, but each song fits the mood for the specific areas in the game so well... It's really nothing short of genius. Couple of my favs:

Haha, that was the first game on the list I was going to present with my post! (I ended up abandoning the list as it was going to end up ridiculously long!) Michiru Yamane's soundtrack for that game is just awesome, and is definitely one of the best game soundtracks ever. I'll also add here, that a lot of the Castlevania games in general feature some amazing music, and great music is actually one of the defining things about that franchise. Castlevania X: Rondo Of Blood also has an immense soundtrack.
03.03.2010 - 23:12
Reza
Account deleted
Breaking The Law in Scarface was so interesting for me especially when I drove to Tony Montana's house
10.03.2010 - 01:19
I actually listen to the Spyro soundtracks quite a bit... oh and I agree with whoever mentioned Shoji Meguro, except his newer stuff is wayyy too pop-ish.
----
myspace.com/broadcastingsilence
11.03.2010 - 07:39
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Just listened to the FIFA 2009 licensed Soundtrack... and its pretty cool. Sure, it has almost 50 songs, and I only REALLY liked 8 or 9, but still is pratically a whole album with good quality!

A nice mix of Electro/Prog-rock/Pop/Indie/New Wave/Synthpop/Psychellica Pretty hard to define with so many artists, but the best ones fitted that styles. Ungdomskulden is a band that I will definetly search more about. There is also the Italians of Caesar Palace, and some nice songs of MGMT, The Script, The Whip and an awesome remix of Tom Jones's [i]Feels Like Music[I/]

Partially recommended
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
11.03.2010 - 22:37
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Uirapuru on 11.03.2010 at 07:39

Just listened to the FIFA 2009 Original Soundtrack...

That would be a *licensed* soundtrack, my good man.
11.03.2010 - 22:53
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.03.2010 at 22:37

Written by Uirapuru on 11.03.2010 at 07:39

Just listened to the FIFA 2009 Original Soundtrack...

That would be a *licensed* soundtrack, my good man.

Corrected, gran-señor
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
11.03.2010 - 23:12
Ragana
Rawrcat
I haven't played Prince Of Persia but the soundtrack which I found accidentally is simply awesome, so I sorta... erm... downloaded all songs.
11.03.2010 - 23:19
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Ragana on 11.03.2010 at 23:12

I haven't played Prince Of Persia but the soundtrack which I found accidentally is simply awesome, so I sorta... erm... downloaded all songs.

I'm not surprised. It's like Orphaned Land without the metal. Wait... Actually, the second game had (bad) metal songs. :O
09.06.2010 - 14:30
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Twinsen's Odyssey: Little Big Adventure 2

This was the first computer game I have ever bought, back in 1997, when it was released in Brazil with Portuguese subtitles. And the original soundtrack amazes me like when I heard in the first time.

Its a weird mix of Electronic ambience music with violins, tamborines, flutes giving the game an epic orchestral feeling. Just perfect.
----

----
09.06.2010 - 21:09
happysponge
Nice to know all the games. love to play all these games.

immunization schedule
12.06.2010 - 03:19
Kennoth
Shit, Diablo's soundtrack is awesome. Both parts.

Warcraft 3's no less, though I've been playing that one for too long that I just tend to have its volume turned off.

EDIT: My favorite soundtrack from the second part. When the woman start singing in arabic, it just seems so right

----
*insert something deep and profound*
12.07.2010 - 17:06
Without music games have no fun ...

i just love to have music in games .....
12.07.2010 - 19:42
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
'Frank Klepaci' from the Red Alert series ! ... gotta love the guy
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
15.07.2010 - 13:01
vezzy
Stallmanite
Mortal Kombat Reptile theme.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.07.2010 - 16:23
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by vezzy on 15.07.2010 at 13:01

You mean this one?

Traci Lords ftw! o/ Truly epic, but it is from the movie not from the game.

Is there a Reptile theme song in the games?
----

----
15.07.2010 - 16:31
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Uirapuru on 15.07.2010 at 16:23

Written by vezzy on 15.07.2010 at 13:01

You mean this one?

Traci Lords ftw! o/ Truly epic, but it is from the movie not from the game.

Is there a Reptile theme song in the games?

Ah, from the film... I haven't actually played any MK games.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
23.07.2010 - 07:33
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Final Fantasy IV,VI,VII,X, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Secret of Mana I-II, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II.
23.07.2010 - 16:16
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Guest on 23.07.2010 at 07:33

Final Fantasy IV,VI,VII,X

What about VIII? Although I HATED the game, the soundtrack was absolutely stellar. And how about FF XIII's soundtrack? Have you heard it? It's terrible. :/
23.07.2010 - 17:42
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.07.2010 at 16:16

Written by Guest on 23.07.2010 at 07:33

Final Fantasy IV,VI,VII,X

What about VIII? Although I HATED the game, the soundtrack was absolutely stellar. And how about FF XIII's soundtrack? Have you heard it? It's terrible. :/

I did enjoy some tracks in VIII, but overall it wasn't as outstanding as the SNES and VII soundtracks. I love Liberi Fatali, but I hate the cheesy radio hit Eyes on me.

I haven't heard XIII soundtrack. I know it has something to do with Leona Lewis (sign of the cross, garlic bread and stake through the heart!), but I lost interest in the series a long time ago. The last game I liked was FF IX, though as I said, X had a very good soundtrack.
26.07.2010 - 05:54
snipo101
Bully.

Great game, unforgettable music.