Metal Storm logo
Games Music

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 29.05.2006 - 03:53
Well, this is simple. Since there are a lot of bands or musicians that only do music for games, it would be cool that you mention bands or musicians from games that you like. Example: I like a lot Econoline Crush from the PS game Sled Storm, Saki Kaskas from various Need for Speed versions, and obviously the VRock station form GTA Vice City. You can mention only the game if you want to, since not all the games have music credits.
26.07.2010 - 13:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I still find it strange how many people hate VIII as a game. But that's clearly not a point for this thread.
26.07.2010 - 14:08
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Guest on 26.07.2010 at 13:27

I still find it strange how many people hate VIII as a game. But that's clearly not a point for this thread.

Yeah, I thought the same because I really enjoyed the game (although 7 was obviously better )
26.07.2010 - 14:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Diabolos on 26.07.2010 at 14:08

Yeah, I thought the same because I really enjoyed the game (although 7 was obviously better )

Yeah, everyone has a favourite (mine will always be 7 too) but to have such such love for one and disdain for another is weird. They all play the same, the stories are well told and engrossing, they each have interesting settings and worlds to explore etc.

Most of the time it tends to be down to specific characters; a lot of people don't like Squall because he's whiny and I even know someone who hated 9 because it didn't feature enough human characters.
26.07.2010 - 21:46
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Guest on 26.07.2010 at 14:14

Yeah, everyone has a favourite (mine will always be 7 too) but to have such such love for one and disdain for another is weird. They all play the same, the stories are well told and engrossing, they each have interesting settings and worlds to explore etc

I beg to differ. The series is notorious for "re-inventing itself" with every release... So it's only natural for most to strongly like one over another.
26.07.2010 - 21:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.07.2010 at 21:46

Written by Guest on 26.07.2010 at 14:14

Yeah, everyone has a favourite (mine will always be 7 too) but to have such such love for one and disdain for another is weird. They all play the same, the stories are well told and engrossing, they each have interesting settings and worlds to explore etc

I beg to differ. The series is notorious for "re-inventing itself" with every release... So it's only natural for most to strongly like one over another.

The only major differences between 7, 8 and 9 that I could detect were really the Materia/Guardian Force/Item Skills systems, maybe a few, subtle changes to the battles. They all pretty much worked on the same principles, good old fashioned epic stories told on pre-rendered locations with ATB driven random battles(how it should always be) not like the vast differences between 10, X-2, 12 and 13

Maybe because I was less critical and more into it when I was a lot younger.
26.07.2010 - 22:01
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Guest on 26.07.2010 at 21:51

Yeah, dude. I know I was. xD

Basically, (I'll make this short, cus I've already ranted about FFVIII on another thread a long time ago) IMO the FFVIII devs had lots of great ideas and failed at executing all of them in the game. Until recently (the release of FFXIII), it was probably my most disliked RPG evar.
26.07.2010 - 22:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.07.2010 at 22:01

Written by Guest on 26.07.2010 at 21:51

Yeah, dude. I know I was. xD

Basically, (I'll make this short, cus I've already ranted about FFVIII on another thread a long time ago) IMO the FFVIII devs had lots of great ideas and failed at executing all of them in the game. Until recently (the release of FFXIII), it was probably my most disliked RPG evar.

8 does have a reputation as being a huge let down, even though both fan and critical reviews would suggest otherwise. I know 1UP.com did a feature about greatest let downs and mentioned 8 and it got a bit of a backlash from people commenting. I'm sure if I'd played it today for the first time I'd be able to identify weaknesses in it but as it stands I can't, I even love the slightly ridiculous and exploitable magic junctioning system which is often cited as a weak point.
26.07.2010 - 22:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious

I didnt like it much. I just felt the characters and story were flat compared to FFVII. lol
26.07.2010 - 22:26
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Ah... listening to the Chrono Cross soundtrack... simply beautiful.
26.07.2010 - 22:34
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Guest on 26.07.2010 at 22:06

8 does have a reputation as being a huge let down, even though both fan and critical reviews would suggest otherwise. I know 1UP.com did a feature about greatest let downs and mentioned 8 and it got a bit of a backlash from people commenting. I'm sure if I'd played it today for the first time I'd be able to identify weaknesses in it but as it stands I can't, I even love the slightly ridiculous and exploitable magic junctioning system which is often cited as a weak point.

My experience and perception on FFVIII is a little different. Besides Golden Sun, FFVIII was the first rpg I ever played. I was probably... 12 or so when I got it, because I just got a PS1. I had nothing to really compare it to (I didn't play VII until a few years later. Missed out on that one). I played through most of it and eventually realized that I didn't like it. Then, after playing many more RPGs (FFX, X-2, IX, Dragon Quest stuff, Legend of Dragoon, FF Tactics, and so on), as I got more into video games, I came back to it with a more experienced, tasteful and intelligent mind. I fucking hated it. But being the masochist I am, I stuck with it up until the final boss battle. Totally gave that shit away sometime after that (I didn't like the gal I gave it to. I mean, come on. Why would I give a friend that crap, right?). Ugh... I just get all flustered thinking about it. D:<
26.07.2010 - 22:38
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.07.2010 at 22:34

Written by Guest on 26.07.2010 at 22:06

My experience and perception on FFVIII is a little different. Besides Golden Sun, FFVIII was the first rpg I ever played. I was probably... 12 or so when I got it, because I just got a PS1. I had nothing to really compare it to (I didn't play VII until a few years later. Missed out on that one). I played through most of it and eventually realized that I didn't like it. Then, after playing many more RPGs (FFX, X-2, IX, Dragon Quest stuff, Legend of Dragoon, FF Tactics, and so on), as I got more into video games, I came back to it with a more experienced, tasteful and intelligent mind. I fucking hated it. But being the masochist I am, I stuck with it up until the final boss battle. Totally gave that shit away sometime after that (I didn't like the gal I gave it to. I mean, come on. Why would I give a friend that crap, right?). Ugh... I just get all flustered thinking about it. D:<

The card game was cool though...
26.07.2010 - 22:45
Fat & Sassy!

Yes, it was. The card mini-game was better than the rest of the game (besides the soundtrack). What does that tell ya? xD
26.07.2010 - 23:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Then again I really like X-2 so that just shows what I know.

And 8's card game is legendary. They royally messed up 9's though but then that had the awesome chocobo treasure hunting game which makes up for it.
26.07.2010 - 23:15
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Guest on 26.07.2010 at 23:03

I really like X-2...

>:[

Written by Guest on 26.07.2010 at 23:03

And 8's card game is legendary. They royally messed up 9's though but then that had the awesome chocobo treasure hunting game which makes up for it.

Yes. IT DID. :O
27.07.2010 - 01:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.07.2010 at 23:15

>:[

To be honest it was mostly just the battle/dress sphere system that compelled me, most of my enjoyment came from grinding and getting all the skills ;] the best battle system an FF has ever had. That aside it was quite a charming and unusual FF, I actually quite liked the mission based structure. It was better than X anyway.
27.07.2010 - 03:26
Kratos

I really like the Donkey Kong 64, Tales of Symphony, and Legend of Zelda's soundtracks. Those are the most memorable/cool for me.
01.08.2010 - 13:08
Cyroth

The Metroid Prime series has awesome music.One of my favorites is "Essence of Metroid Prime battle" from Metroid Prime 1.
----
01.08.2010 - 13:56
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Kratos on 27.07.2010 at 03:26

I really like the Donkey Kong 64, Tales of Symphony, and Legend of Zelda's soundtracks. Those are the most memorable/cool for me.

All the DK games have great music IMO. xD

Legend Of Zelda's soundtracks are awesome. As far back as the one from Link To The Past on the SNES.
01.08.2010 - 21:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 01.08.2010 at 13:56

Legend Of Zelda's soundtracks are awesome. As far back as the one from Link To The Past on the SNES.

I love the main theme to that game and was a happy bunny when they reprised it for Majora's Mask.

And I'm pretty sure that the music on the mill levels on DKC 3 was some kind of version of that "You Give Me Fever" song. I think the first mill level was even called "Mill Fever" ^^
01.08.2010 - 21:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I dunno if I've bollocked on about it on this thread but the greatest game soundtrack, bar none, is that of Shadow of the Colossus. Completely redefined the term "epic"

Recommend Youtube-ing "Revived Power" - dunno if it's on there but it's probably the greatest piece of music I've ever heard.
02.08.2010 - 07:53
Kratos

Written by Angelic Storm on 01.08.2010 at 13:56

Written by Kratos on 27.07.2010 at 03:26

All the DK games have great music IMO. xD

I totally agree on the DK music, its always fun/cool and fits the mood same with Zelda, especially the bosses
02.08.2010 - 12:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Kratos on 02.08.2010 at 07:53
I totally agree on the DK music, its always fun/cool and fits the mood same with Zelda, especially the bosses

Yep! The music is not only great, it fits the game so well, which is what truly makes a classic games soundtrack. <3 Though my fave tune from DK Country, is the one from the "Rattle Battle" level in DKC 2. lol

As for Link To The Past, that also happens to be my all time fave game.
28.08.2010 - 05:57
Uirapuru
Liver Failure

If anyone has played that game it's impossible not to be haunted by the soundtrack. Robyn Miller has simply composed the most beautiful, otherworldly soundtrack to accompany the eerie atmosphere of the game. The songs from the Library, the Planetarium and the Selenitic Age are memorable.. =D
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
28.08.2010 - 07:37
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Uirapuru on 28.08.2010 at 05:57

If anyone has played that game it's impossible not to be haunted by the soundtrack. Robyn Miller has simply composed the most beautiful, otherworldly soundtrack to accompany the eerie atmosphere of the game. The songs from the Library, the Planetarium and the Selenitic Age are memorable.. =D

Words cannot describe the impression Robyn Miller has left on me, the Myst and Riven soundtracks are mesmerizing
28.08.2010 - 22:18
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Introspekrieg on 28.08.2010 at 07:37

Written by Uirapuru on 28.08.2010 at 05:57

Words cannot describe the impression Robyn Miller has left on me, the Myst and Riven soundtracks are mesmerizing

Yeah

I still have to play Exile and the others to seek for more masterpieces. =)
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.09.2010 - 13:43
akvan

I think musics of " The Elder Scrolls " are perfect
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
26.09.2010 - 10:18
Lokier066

Clive Barker's Jericho

Fallout

Unreal

Quake

and Diablo has awesome music lol for no vocals except fallout 3 lol but earlier ones great as well

----
new Band but named Deforming Magenta I think are good
check it out buy if you like

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=deforming+magenta&x=0&y=0
03.10.2010 - 01:39
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Can anyone recommend me music that sounds similar to Castlevania, especially in the organ department? I'm sure I know more but the only one I can think of at the moment is this:
03.10.2010 - 01:46
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Introspekrieg on 03.10.2010 at 01:39

Can anyone recommend me music that sounds similar to Castlevania...

It's kind of hard to pin-point a specific sound in Castlevania games, ESPECIALLY Symphony of the Night, because the music is so varied. Um, but so is the album this song is from:
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=6509

28.10.2010 - 01:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Via my brother i was introduced to music from "Ace Combat 6"...i helped myself to get whole soundtrack and it is awesome piece - 3 disc and more than 2 and half hours of great music

----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep