Metal Storm logo
Best bands with rhyming lyrics?

18.09.2020 - 20:22
BuzzKir

Three cornerstones of good lyrics are, to me - interesting theme(s), rich vocabulary and rhyming.

So here are my top-5 bands that do that:

1. Iron Maiden - I've yet to come across a band that outdoes them in the combination of the three.

2. Cradle of Filth - GREAT rhyming, astonishingly large vocabulary (for a metal band), somewhat limited subject matter. Unfortunately, not a huge fan of the music itself. In fact, I think it's a shame how sometimes you can't even understand what Dani is singing, with some bands it's a blessing, here it's more of a curse.

3. Ancient Rites - concerned mostly with history, I find their texts to be masterful in rhyming and vocab.

4. Nightwish - throughout the albums they touched upon many themes and I always found their lyrics to be well-crafted.

5. Scar Symmetry - though not the most diverse, nor the most eloquent on the list, their songs can often surprise with interesting turns of phrases and rhymes. Science fiction, horror and cosmic trappings help.

What are your favorite lyricists among metal bands, especially when it comes to rhyming and subject matter?
----
I made a 3D animated music video (Unbreakable by Before The Dawn): https://youtu.be/5LOfYRgg_5U
18.09.2020 - 20:40
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by BuzzKir on 18.09.2020 at 20:22

Three cornerstones of good lyrics are, to me - interesting theme(s), rich vocabulary and rhyming.

[...]

What are your favorite lyricists among metal bands, especially when it comes to rhyming and subject matter?

That's an interesting question and a quick and easy answer: everything ever written by Martin Walkyier, in particular the first two Sabbat albums and 20th century's Skyclad.
----
signatures = SPAM
23.09.2020 - 23:44
Redel

Written by Starvynth on 18.09.2020 at 20:40

20th century's Skyclad.

+1
24.09.2020 - 01:01
nikarg

Rhyming "masses" with "masses" 50 years ago was too groundbreaking for words

Joking aside, what Starvynth said above. And I quite like Mgła's lyrics too.
26.09.2020 - 02:07
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by nikarg on 24.09.2020 at 01:01

And I quite like Mgła's lyrics too.

Yeah, Mgła's lyrics are strong as well, particularly in view of the fact that they are not even native speakers.
It's not just what he shouts and how he does it, they also have a keen sense for the best when.

Sometimes it's just one specific line of text exactly in the right time that may turn a good song into an all-time classic, and Mgła are master craftsmen in this discipline. It's just one short sentence and you will instantly remember the entire song and feel its approaching climax, just one sentence to set the ball rolling, just one sentence that will send shivers down your spine.

"At least have some dignity!"

There, I proved it.
----
signatures = SPAM