Metal Storm logo
Pelican

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 29.05.2006 - 04:17
Instrumental Avantgarde Metal, as says here in MS, probably the most relaxing band I've ever heard, quite complex, even mystic; with very long, slow-tempo songs (great for making love) but deffinitely a band you have to have or at least listen if you like complex bands like Tool or Jesu. So, teh idea is simple: How did you discovered it, favourite album, express your opinion about it.
17.02.2007 - 18:46
rebelos
Account deleted
City Of Echoes is great!
way different from the other releases!!
22.02.2007 - 04:38
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Listening to the new track on their myspace now. It sounds as great as always! They're coming around here but I'm deeply saddened to read it's an 18 and over show. I don't turn 18 until the end of May. Too bad, I would've loved to see them and Russian Circles again, especially performing new material.
----
The force will be with you, always.
12.03.2007 - 09:47
lenesu

I wouldnt compare them to tool. They are like Isis but without vocals and a bit heavier.
16.03.2007 - 22:08
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I like their 2005's The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw but its the only cd ive heard from Pelican. Its intimate and at times overwhelming.

If i have time i'll check australasia.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.03.2007 - 07:27
Susan
Smeghead
"Spaceship Broken - Parts Needed" is the coolest title ever. EVER.

I've been getting more and more into this music lately and though Pelican would be a good place to start. I've seen them live twice and they seem like guys who just really really love music. That's important, and it shows in their recordings as well
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
20.06.2007 - 06:52
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
City Of echoes is simplya amazing. They've changed their style a bit, yes. They sound more melodic and less strident, but it's still amazing, relaxing and complex. Like Lyrinan said, "Spaceship Broken - Parts Needed" is a great title, and a great song as well. Bliss in concrete is also awesome. This album is different, certainly, but still great, still Pelican.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
02.07.2007 - 04:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I have yet to hear a bad song by this band. I don't have any of their albums yet though, but I'll be buying them all shortly.
05.07.2007 - 20:49
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Dangerboner on 02.07.2007 at 04:04

I have yet to hear a bad song by this band. I don't have any of their albums yet though, but I'll be buying them all shortly.

You will nor regret that buy partner. This band is completely amazing. Their new album is kinda different, but still Pelican, still great.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

21.08.2007 - 15:28
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Live video and pictures of Pelican are available on their MySpace blog at this location. Enjoy.
08.02.2008 - 04:30
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Just listening this band and thought I'd ask, has anyone ever listened to Lair of the Minotaur? Pelican's drummer Larry Herweg is in it. Haven't listened to them for what seems like ages, but if I remember correctly, the music sounds like how it would feel to get your balls ripped off. Insane shit. Check it out.
----
The force will be with you, always.
09.02.2008 - 14:12
doomina
Account deleted
i love pelican. one of my all time favs.
Winds With Hands or Delicate Sense Of Balance are fucking great.
27.06.2008 - 21:17
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Ah yes, these guys are great, their sound hypnotises me. I listened to the album City of Echoes a few times the other day, and i love it. There isn't a bad song, it never gets boring. Although i have to say my fav. songs from that record atm is Winds With Hands and Lost In The Headlights.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
13.08.2008 - 01:29
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
pelican are awesome, and they are touring soon with torche - im gonna try and get tickets cos that sounds unmissable
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
13.08.2008 - 02:14
Trial By Fire
Account deleted
I just bought "The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw" tonight and gave it a spin. It was absolutely amazing. Normally I'm not a fan of entirely instrumental albums, but it's so layered and consuming that not once was I seeking a vocal.
13.08.2008 - 15:30
MathC
Account deleted
Written by lenesu on 12.03.2007 at 09:47

I wouldnt compare them to tool. They are like Isis but without vocals and a bit heavier.

If you think Pelican is heavier than Isis, you obviously haven't listenned to the right Isis album.
13.08.2008 - 17:28
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 13.08.2008 at 15:30

Written by lenesu on 12.03.2007 at 09:47

If you think Pelican is heavier than Isis, you obviously haven't listenned to the right Isis album.

haha agreed - The Red Sea is heavy as fuck.

BTW, I still prefer City of Echoes over The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw. It's a bit more metal and you really can't beat the title track.
13.08.2008 - 17:37
MathC
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 13.08.2008 at 17:28

haha agreed - The Red Sea is heavy as fuck.

That's exactly what I had in mind !

Written by Dangerboner on 13.08.2008 at 17:28
BTW, I still prefer City of Echoes over The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw. It's a bit more metal and you really can't beat the title track.

I prefer The Fire in Our Throats but i clearly haven't given enough spins to City of Echoes to have an unbiased opinion. It was a good though.

Regarding post-metal in general, I prefer stuff like Unfortunaut : www.myspace.com/unfortunaut
16.09.2008 - 15:56
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Recently got The Fire in our Throats will Beckon the Thaw *gasps for air*. It's amazing, and i'm pretty sure it beats City of Echoes. Has anyone here heard their debut, because my favorite song by them still remains 'Drought'.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
06.10.2008 - 15:12
Thryce
Retired Staff
Pelican - Robbed On Tour In Italy

"Our otherwise excellent tour of Europe hit a severe stroke of bad luck this week. Two days ago we had a spare half hour to spend in Rome before heading to the venue, so we decided to go see the Coliseum. We parked nearby and went to take a brief twenty minute walk around the area. When we returned to our van we found that it had been broken into, despite being parked on a major street in broad daylight. Four bags were stolen, the contents including computers, passports, wallets, ipods, our soundguy's microphone collection, and, most devastatingly, a number of personal journals and two portable recording devices containing hours of song ideas that are now lost forever.

The calculated loss of this theft is several thousands of dollars. Unfortunately our band only earns us a very meager living and some of us are already in the hole from years of trying to make a living as musicians. This incident therefore poses a devastating loss and puts us in a very compromised financial position. Although we realize that there is a worldwide financial crisis going on, if there are those of you who have the means and desire to help out our gratitude would run deeper than words could express. We've set up a Paypal account at the address pelicanrobbed@gmail.com. Anything you can offer, even simple condolences, would go a long way. Thanks so much for reading."
----
Your favorite band sucks.
12.10.2008 - 06:30
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Shit that is some bad news ... talk about bad luck for Pelican. I hope that as much people as possible will pay up a little.
----
12.10.2008 - 17:08
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Yeah. Don't teh organizers of tours have insurances for this kind of things?
----

18.10.2008 - 18:41
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Yes I enjoy this band-- very unique for an instrumental metal band.

How I Discovered: Sirius Radio- Hard Attack

Fav Song: Bliss in Concrete

(and yes I also love Tool)
09.11.2008 - 12:53
benvolent

Aaaah, thats quite nice - will give them a chance!
To compare them with Isis is no mistake at all, somehow. Very relaxing...
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
25.08.2009 - 11:58
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Just discovered this band. Good Stuff. Anything that sounds like Godflesh is fine for me!
----
rekt
01.09.2009 - 07:24
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Haven't heard any of the newer stuff by this band, but I absolutely love 'Australasia' and 'The Fire in Our Throats Beckons the Thaw.' I really enjoy the first two tracks of the former, probably my favourite Pelican songs.
04.11.2009 - 21:50
Black Mass

I've just been introduced to this band and Australasia is an amazing album. Where has this been all my life?
15.11.2009 - 16:49
Sunn174

Sludgy post band, I really like them as background music. Invokes a stellar mood.
16.11.2009 - 08:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Has anyone heard their new album yet? It sounded really dull live, but I'm still interested.
20.11.2009 - 04:17
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Not me, sorry, haven't found it To download
----