Metal Storm logo
Pelican

29.05.2006 - 04:17
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Instrumental Avantgarde Metal, as says here in MS, probably the most relaxing band I've ever heard, quite complex, even mystic; with very long, slow-tempo songs (great for making love) but deffinitely a band you have to have or at least listen if you like complex bands like Tool or Jesu. So, teh idea is simple: How did you discovered it, favourite album, express your opinion about it.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
29.05.2006 - 06:51
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Awesome band, I secially like the Justin Broadrick remix of Angel Tears... that man is a freakin' genious.,
29.05.2006 - 10:35
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Indeed a great band. I love their layered music. Fantastic Post-Rock type stuff. I am going to try and see them live on June 8th with Mono and Russian Circles. It should be a great show.
----
The force will be with you, always.
31.05.2006 - 05:29
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
@C-Dub: I envy you, ´cause I will probably never see them live, at least not here in Colombia. Meybe in a few years, when I move to Canada.

I must add that I discovere dpelican here in MS, looking for Avantgarde bands like tool, that's how I found Pelican and Jesu, another great band.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

01.06.2006 - 23:49
bangladesh
I discover Pelican from a friend. The similarities with Burst that i have already known and the fact of being an instrumental band capt my atention.
I only have The fire in our throats.... and only this album makes me love this band.
02.06.2006 - 22:58
Detric
King Of Twilight
Fantastic band. These guys are so talented, I cant believe how they manage to stay instrumental, and still make so many different guitar riffs, its just amazing. I like to put any Pelican record on, when coming home from school, work or whatever, cause its just so relaxing. Im hoping to see them live some day.
17.06.2006 - 19:31
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Pelican - Move Monday Pittsburgh Show to New Location :

To all Pittsburgh based Pelican fans, the band's forthcoming show that is scheduled for this Monday (June 19) has been moved from Mr. Smalls Theatre to the Lawrenceville Moose (120 51st St., Pittsburgh, PA 15201). Tickets will be valid at the new venue.

(Source : http://www.trustkillshows.com)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
19.06.2006 - 18:09
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I heard some stuff from them, which was quite good. I'll try more out, was also quite with the video that MS once had in its Compilation.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.06.2006 - 22:38
Freyya
I love this band..their songs go from soft rythms to ....blow your mind! Excellent band, too sad it's impossible to bring them here
----
"Music was invented to confirm human loneliness"
24.06.2006 - 03:00
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Freyya on 19.06.2006 at 22:38

I love this band..their songs go from soft rythms to ....blow your mind! Excellent band, too sad it's impossible to bring them here

I completely agree. And the Cds are too damn hard to get! We'll have to buy them on amazon or something. I want to see them live! It's not fir great bands don't come here. I'll die waiting for Pelican, unless I see them in another country.
----

24.06.2006 - 08:34
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 24.06.2006 at 03:00

Written by Freyya on 19.06.2006 at 22:38

I completely agree. And the Cds are too damn hard to get! We'll have to buy them on amazon or something. I want to see them live! It's not fir great bands don't come here. I'll die waiting for Pelican, unless I see them in another country.

I saw them live and they were fantastic. I feel for you guys not being able to see them. They did a great job.
----
The force will be with you, always.
25.06.2006 - 19:36
thehumanpathogen
Account deleted
I got into Pelican through Isis, and then found Neurosis. All of them are just amazing bands and can express so much emotion without saying very much at all.
30.06.2006 - 00:29
Nathan Lurker
I discovered them through Isis too. I first listened to Australasia. Drought is a mindblowing song. It's really powerful at times and can become so moody. I heard they have a DVD ? I'd like to see that sometimes.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
24.07.2006 - 12:46
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
I discovered them thx to Metal Storm and listened to their last album "The fire in your throat..." which is amazing. So much emotion and variety only through instrumental music... I'm planning to purchase Australasia.
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
01.08.2006 - 22:55
Endoftherainbow
Pelican is one of the most amazing bands I discovered here on MetalStorm. All of there albums are great and convey emotion through the music so well. This band came through my town but I didn't see them because it was on the A Taste of Chaos tour and I didn't want to pay $60 to see them play a 20minute set.
05.08.2006 - 03:48
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
i discovered Pelican Through Browsing Hydrahead's website...their description interested me..so i d/led them...top notch...Hydrahead Records is a force that cant be matched...Aaron Turner is The Man
05.08.2006 - 14:48
Misantrophil
Account deleted
fantastic band.They are amazing.last album The fire in our throats.... is my favourite album but Australasia is also fantastic
07.08.2006 - 02:49
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Um, so here's my question...what do people think of this Atmopsheric Hardcore term that some reviewer coined to describe bands like Isis, Pelican, Cult of Luna and Neurosis? Hardcore has been going into all these new directions and it's only right to give all these hardcore bands an extra tag...MS is right to call them avantgarde however because they are very avantgarde...but the term instrumental avantgarde metal sounds a bit too lofty...to call them atmospheric hardcore is very correct I find because it's just that...it's hardcore music with a very distinct atmosphere...
07.08.2006 - 23:21
Deadsoulman
Elite
Atmospheric Hardcore would sound like a rather good label to me, not 100% accurate but it might be one of the best ways to define them. They are usually labelled as post-hardcore bands, spawned from hardcore though apart from the vocals they don't have much in common with pure hardcore. And like post-rock bands they base their music on ambient and ethereal atmospheres and they also use the scales and progression of classical music. So yes, (progressive) atmospheric hardcore might define them quite well

About Pelican themselves, I find them good but a little bit overrated. There's a little buzz around them that I don't really understand. I tend to find them boring on the long term. Somehow I don't think their music is as emotional as you people seem to think. In the same genre I think Red Sparrowes is far better (and far more emotional and atmospheric)
09.08.2006 - 05:55
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
An amazing band. I never thought that i would enjoy so much a band that would not have any vocals. But i think it's better they don't have vocals, or atleast that's what i think.
09.08.2006 - 06:21
Despised Icon
Account deleted
Awesome, awesome band. Mixing doom, drone, a little core, and much more. Truely a band with alot of talent.
09.08.2006 - 23:09
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
i've just bought two of Pelican's albums at the record store...(d/led that self titled ep) and i think i have to say Australasia is their best album..
02.09.2006 - 05:39
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
Hey, just something I was thinking some days ago.
On "The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw", there's that "March to the Sea" song... and, for some strange reason, I always saw penguins in my mind rushing down a hill in Antartica for the sea... and, recently, I've watched that movie "March of the Penguins". So, I began drawing some parallels... Besides the March to the Sea song (and several marches to the sea on the movie), there's also Aurora Borealis and a moment on the movie that shows the Aurora Borealis... not to mention the Last Day of Winter and Autumn into Summer songs. The "-", Red Ran Amber and Sirius, I dunno, though... but overall the feeling of the album fits the idea of penguins very nicely.

So, anyways I was considering watching the movie with Pelican playing in the background. I think it makes a soundtrack 1000x better than the original one with the horribly forced singing.

Has anyone else also had this idea or was just me?
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
02.09.2006 - 08:08
LethargyMan
Honestly... I don't find Pelican very interesting or dynamic at all. It just sounds like... instead of really taking advantage of the music without a vocalist to burden them, they instead sound more like they play instrumental versions of their favourite Isis songs.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
22.09.2006 - 19:10
rebelos
Account deleted
i actually love this band!
Australasia is an amazing album with great riffs and melodies!
much better than "The Fire..."
22.09.2006 - 22:07
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by LethargyMan on 02.09.2006 at 08:08

Honestly... I don't find Pelican very interesting or dynamic at all. It just sounds like... instead of really taking advantage of the music without a vocalist to burden them, they instead sound more like they play instrumental versions of their favourite Isis songs.

I highly disagree here, as Pelican music is much more structure, and melodies more sophisticated than Isis... and to not have a vocalist, I don't see it as a burden, but as totally the opossite... it's much more difficult to create interestic and balanced music out of instrumentals... and I do see Pelican as a dynamic band..
24.09.2006 - 00:23
LethargyMan
Written by Guest on 22.09.2006 at 22:07
\I highly disagree here, as Pelican music is much more structure, and melodies more sophisticated than Isis... and to not have a vocalist, I don't see it as a burden, but as totally the opossite... it's much more difficult to create interestic and balanced music out of instrumentals... and I do see Pelican as a dynamic band.

Well, I disagree about how sophisicated their music is; they're good, but I've heard better.

However, rearead what I posted. I did not say that the lack of a vocalist was a burden, I said the opposite; vocalists can actually be a burden on the band's music.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
01.10.2006 - 23:19
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I saw Pelican live last night! It was a great show they put on. This was the 2nd time I've seen them live and they seem to get better each time. The music is, of course, incredible, but my favourite part is how much the guys seem to love playing it. That makes all the difference
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
02.10.2006 - 05:46
Solaris
Account deleted
Another band I only recently discovered (about 6 months ago), I heard about them through references to Isis. I really like them, I have the 2 albums & a couple of EPs (March Into The Sea, Pelican/Mono split) & I'd love to track the rest down. It's amazing how much emotion they can project through the instrumental format, very intense & evocative. If you like them you should definitely check out Mono, a Japanese band with a slightly similar sound, more laid back though, with elements of Sigur Ros & Mogwai thrown in.

As for what to call this type of music, I generaly throw these types of bands (Pelican, Isis, Neurosis, Cult Of Luna, Callisto, Jesu) in as "ambient metal". Not that it matters, but there you are.
16.02.2007 - 05:22
Detric
King Of Twilight
City Of Echoes has leaked. Send me a PM for the link. I dont wanna post the link here as I dont know the policy of Metalstorm regarding this.