03. Revocation Of The Fallen
04. Imposed Afterlife
05. Deformed Construct
06. Therapeutic Dissonance
07. Defractured In Contemplation
08. Egocentric Entity
09. The Inevitable Outcome
10. Facing The Singularity

There will always be room for healthy debate about whether maintaining relevance or establishing a niche is the most important aspect of content creation.

Disavowed, infrequent purveyors of brutal death metal from the Netherlands, developed a bit of a cult following in the scene with their debut LP, Perceptive Deception. While it didn't break significant ground or generate widespread influence that rippled across future generations, it did have a more distinct touch that helped curate a feeling of genuine care in relation to most of what was on offer at the time by their peers. Those who came to appreciate it, however, would need to wait six years for Stagnated Existence to be released, a blink of an eye compared to 13 years needed for Revocation Of The Fallen's unveiling.

But what did we really wait for? A mildly technical, groove-injected slab of brutality that could have any band's name on the cover. The rhythm section is on point, Robbe Kok's archetypal guttural growls relentlessly pursue each track's bitter end, and the tandem guitarists manage to play off each other in such a way that sounds meticulously crafted and practiced. The production quality is perfectly suited for the music on hand, particularly in regards to the mixing of the drums, accentuating their energetic proficiency, but its individually impressive list of ingredients hardly register as having any unique taste or flavor on the tongue. It's a safe and professional release, but one that gets lost in the waves of brutal death metal's vast, yet stagnant ocean.

Despite its obvious downsides, aspects of interest manage to seep through in order to maintain a sense of accessibility and replay value. The smoothed out edges and catchy hooks, playful bass work, and impeccable technicality of new drummer Septimiu Hărşan's adaptive influence behind the kit coalesce to form expertly executed extreme material that aims to please diverging demographics of fans on the lookout for the most intense or commercially viable renditions of brutal death metal. But in doing so, they overcompensate and consequently eschew their identity.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 4
Production: 10

Written on 27.09.2020 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 35 users
28.09.2020 - 10:22
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I swear Septimiu Hărşan is challenging Costin Chioreanu as the Romanian putting their name on most metal records.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
28.09.2020 - 20:14
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RaduP on 28.09.2020 at 10:22

I swear Septimiu Hărşan is challenging Costin Chioreanu as the Romanian putting their name on most metal records.

His work here alone is enough for me to investigate more of his content, but that guitarist's list of projects might be a little too overwhelming considering the amount of spare time I have these days.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.09.2020 - 22:02
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.09.2020 at 20:14

that guitarist's list of projects might be a little too overwhelming considering the amount of spare time I have these days.

I wasn't even aware Costin was doing so much guitar/bass work, but that's not really what I was thinking of. Go to Misc Staff instead.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
28.09.2020 - 22:51
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RaduP on 28.09.2020 at 22:02

I wasn't even aware Costin was doing so much guitar/bass work, but that's not really what I was thinking of. Go to Misc Staff instead.

Is too much.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 1299 | This month: 8