04. Dominus
05. Drown In Havoc
06. Soul Harvester
07. Coast Of Lies
08. Quarantine Fortress
09. Dead Zone Anthem
10. Nuklearth
11. Mors Temporis

Leave it to the Germans to operate at peak efficiency.

While the amalgamation of brutality and technicality is far from innovative, the precision necessary for these elements to be successfully merged is not easily attained. Of course, where Cytotoxin are concerned, this is but a simple equation having been revealed to them nearly a full decade prior to the release of Nuklearth, with 2012's Radiophobia. Since then, they've become increasingly comfortable in their development, naturally progressing and carefully modifying nuanced aspects of their sound in order to best display their message of post-nuclear apocalyptic desolate chaos, neatly summed up in under 45 minutes of expertly crafted, otherworldly performed brutal death metal.

Featuring an absolute glut of musical references ranging from Gorguts to Cattle Decapitation, even traversing momentarily through Origin territory, this arpeggio-laden, harmonic-induced monument to fanatical creativity and quantum bomb explosiveness is a glowing example of where this genre needs to direct itself to maintain relevance as the extreme metal scene shifts paradigms toward accessibility through its continued incorporation of no longer foreign non-metal influence. Nuklearth never deviates from its initial trademark path of wanton destruction nor its true origins, but in doing so, manages to carry along with it the genre's expanding progressive attitude, attempting a painstakingly plotted kitchen-sink approach, and absolutely nailing it in unique fashion.

Unabashedly unashamed to stuff melody into every nook and cranny imaginable, Cytotoxin have at this point established themselves as reconstructive habitual abusers of the breakdown, rarely so complacent to let the monotonous chug and grind see more than seconds at a time without the accompaniment of sweeping melodies bursting onto the stage or the much welcomed inclusion of subtle bass guitar soloing to help string things along over a toxic terrain of rotting corpses and putrid waste. And the entire foundation for this lies within the inhuman drumming, which begs the question whether Stephan Stockburger has ever provided a blood sample or if that name is a newly designed AI drum program. Between the oddly timed cymbal play, vigorous double bass work, and groovy gravity blasts, you couldn't fathom writing software to execute these commands as perfectly. And though the production errs on the cleaner side of things, doing so allows for these intricacies to be appreciated to the fullest extent, and it isn't quite so squeaky that it feels plasticized.

To put it more directly, Nuklearth is a benchmark album that could, and should, mark a required pushing of the death metal envelope, alongside equally impressive masterworks of the year such as Defeated Sanity's The Sanguinary Impetus and Afterbirth's Four Dimensional Flesh.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 29.09.2020 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 124 users
29.09.2020 - 09:50
Coconut Racecar
What I like about this band is that they remind me of Beneath The Massacre before they became annoying. It's like all the good parts of that band, at least that's how I hear them.
29.09.2020 - 10:05
Rating: 8
musclassia
Staff
I had been wondering how you'd react to this after your comment in the album thread; wow, that's an enthusiastic review. I thought it was pretty solid overall, but I'm nowhere near as into this sound as you so not surprising I didn't think it was THIS good
29.09.2020 - 10:44
Ball Fondlers
I usually skip over anything marked as "brutal death metal", but I might give this one a listen off the back of this review. I doubt I'll get much out of it though, as it's usually just too heavy for me to process, and I'm yet to find anything I've liked
29.09.2020 - 16:30
Rating: 9
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Coconut Racecar on 29.09.2020 at 09:50

What I like about this band is that they remind me of Beneath The Massacre before they became annoying. It's like all the good parts of that band, at least that's how I hear them.

BTM actually isn't a bad comparison either, although they never managed to incorporate this much melody into their writing. Highly technical and brutal though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.09.2020 - 16:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by musclassia on 29.09.2020 at 10:05

I had been wondering how you'd react to this after your comment in the album thread; wow, that's an enthusiastic review. I thought it was pretty solid overall, but I'm nowhere near as into this sound as you so not surprising I didn't think it was THIS good

Had no idea it would be a love at first listen experience. I was anticipating more of a mid to high 7 sort of thing, but I was swept away immediately. Bought digital copies of this and Gammageddon, which I'd score just a hair beneath this. These guys and Ulcerate are contending for my favorite death metal release of the year.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.09.2020 - 16:49
OpethFlames
Yea this is probably the best drumming performance I've heard this year. Guy is unbelievable behind the kit. Amazing album, love Cytotoxin!
29.09.2020 - 16:53
nikarg
Staff
I am looking at the score thinking "there is no way Troy didn't overrate this". Then, I am reading the review thinking "ok, if it's as melodic as he says, maybe it is not going to be another bog standard bdm borefest". So, I just finished listening to the album. This is sick stuff, at the same time brutal, melodic and technical and all these three are in perfect balance, while none of the three goes over the top.

I think the score may be a bit too high but this is me talking after just one listen. It doesn't matter much anyway; what does matter is that I will listen again and I am sure it will grow on me even more just like that Afterbirth album did. This is the thing about really good music; you immediately feel that something is good even if it doesn't belong to the style you prefer listening to.

Nice review and thank you for doing it. I would have probably missed this if you hadn't written about it.
14.10.2020 - 05:00
chomskeet
This is definitely my favorite BDM album I've heard in quite some time. I actually generally dislike BMD but this album is quite special. I've really only ever been taken with Benighted's handful of good albums, Viraemia, some Fleshgod, and now this. I've looped their discography fastidiously for the past few days and this is their best album imo. I agree with Nikarg's impression that much BDM is a "bog standard bdm borefest" lol. Often there is just too much to pay attention to that even in good speakers/headphones, you lose the songwriting in the mush. Not the case with this album, there is a precision to the mix that is amazing, I happen to like clean production, and that is certainly the case here. Excellent recommendation, thanks for the review
04.12.2020 - 19:58
Rating: 8
sgtrobo
Brutal tech-death AotY, over Defeated Sanity's Sanguinary Impetus
incredible performance. Brutal, technical, yet somehow catchy and memorable.
Damned impressive effort.
15.02.2021 - 21:29
Dinruth
Yet another great album that I discovered thanks to the MS awards

Hits total: 2415 | This month: 11