Metal Storm logo
Most influental man during second wave of black metal

Original post

Posted by Hamird, 15.07.2007 - 23:09
These six men that i put in the list were the main members of the most influental black metal group which called BLACK METAL INNER CIRCLE ... so maybe you think about somene who was not a member of this group ...
i think that the most influental man in black metal was VARG VIKERNES who recreated the black metal. that is my opinion. so you name your choise and tell the reason ...
cheers

Poll

which one do you beleave that is the most influental black metal man?

Varg Vikernes
Øystein Aarseth (Euronymous)
Per Yngve Ohlin (Dead)
Other ...
Samoth
Satyr
Bård Faust

Total votes: 79
05.05.2008 - 16:20
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Haightredy on 05.05.2008 at 07:40

I say Samoth, because I like Emperor, but now that I accually think about it, I should Have voted Euronymous because he kind of did get Varg into Black Metal, and De Mystreriis Dom Sathanas was an amasing album.

bro, you didn't got the target. this topic is about influence on black metal inner circle. not releasing the albums.
05.05.2008 - 16:36
Nox Lux
codebreaker
that's fvcking blatant, but in my opinion, within the parameters of 'influence,' that statement still puts Euronymous on the frontline. However, using this logic, Dead levels out also.

Either way, and either any other alternative way [which there are many] that might be proposed, it remains that this is an unfair and standardised hierarchy of the artists featured.

It takes a village to raise a child...

That is why I have not voted on this poll.

----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
05.05.2008 - 16:51
FOOCK Nam

I tend to like Dead, he is the spirit influencer for the spirit of black metal by his death. As for music all 3 Satyr, Varg and Euronymous are influental. But regard the topic, Satyr's not the one who belongs to Black Inner Circle, or Im wrong?
05.05.2008 - 23:11
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Haven't people like Ihsahn and Vikernes stated that there actually wasn't any so called "black metal inner circle" and it was just something that Euronymous pretty much made up?

"First of all the so-called Black Circle was something Euronymous made up because he wanted to make people believe there was such a thing, but it was nonsense and never existed. The media on the other hand believed it existed for a while, but quickly stopped talking about it when they understood it was a fake rumour.' - V. Vikernes, from Burzum.org
05.05.2008 - 23:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 05.05.2008 at 23:11

Haven't people like Ihsahn and Vikernes stated that there actually wasn't any so called "black metal inner circle" and it was just something that Euronymous pretty much made up?

"First of all the so-called Black Circle was something Euronymous made up because he wanted to make people believe there was such a thing, but it was nonsense and never existed. The media on the other hand believed it existed for a while, but quickly stopped talking about it when they understood it was a fake rumour.' - V. Vikernes, from Burzum.org

Only Varg nowadays claims there was no such thing as the black metal inner circle. Please do not believe everything that is written by the man because he keeps on changing history over and over again.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2008 - 01:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.05.2008 at 23:14

Only Varg nowadays claims there was no such thing as the black metal inner circle. Please do not believe everything that is written by the man because he keeps on changing history over and over again.

It must be pretty convenient when your chief rival is dead and rotting. Makes it real easy to re-write history constantly injecting your version of things as fact. Even easier when the flock of sheep eat up every word as if it is gospel.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.05.2008 - 17:30
Hamird
Lieutenant

You are absolutely right. Generally Varg is changing his opinion time by time... because he said something in his youth and now he is regret that he has said.
About BM Inner Circle, he denies that he was in black metal inner circle while he was the 2econd person after Euronymous.
07.05.2008 - 16:02
rageing atheist
Account deleted

I really don't care that much about Vikernes' opinion on anything, but in my opinion it's an exaggeration to refer to the people who were spearheading the Norwegian black metal scene as the "Black Circle" or whatever.
Also Vikernes is not the only person who has indicated that the popular view on the events of the early 90'ties in Norway is somewhat distorted, for example Ihsahn has also said in an interview given to Decibel in 2005 that:
"Of course, in the beginning, we knew all the people involved, but the whole idea of a unified black metal scene was just very unfamiliar to how I experienced it"
And also in CoC interview after the release of Anthems: "Also, I think the information from the Norwegian black metal scene - the original thing, plus all the rumors that are added during time, and also the distance from here to the States - it becomes very different. It makes it seem more mystic than it really is"

The reason I used the Vikernes quote previously was because I found it fast, not because I hold him in very high regard (which I do not), or whatever.

Obviously the members of leading bands knew each other and were part of the same social circle and I didn't claim that they weren't, but imo to talk about "The Black Circle" in 2008 just because Aarseth used this term in 1993, is to overmystify the events of the early 90'ties in Norway, and it sounds like meaningless hero-worship to me. I mean, in reality the so-called "Black Circle" were just young musicians with extreme worldviews and interest in Satanism/Occultism, and it's pointless to talk about them as somekind of near-mythical "Black Circle" or "Inner Circle of Black Metal".
08.05.2008 - 20:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
whether the black circle was organized like Al'Q or just a loose knit collection of miscreant youths bent on rebelling and giving themselves a 'cool' name (see: Lords of Chaos- not the book, the actual dipshit teenagers in Florida who called themselves that before the book came out ) that has been given mythical status over time because of the actions committed and music created by the musicians who were loosely affiliated is slightly immaterial.

i have no doubts it was the later - misanthropic rebellious youths and not nearly as sinister as it was or continues to be made out to be. it is undoubtedly over hyped, over mystified.

what it comes down to is:

1. Was their a collection of people that associated with one another as the social hub of the scene?
2. Was Euro the straw that stirred the drink, so to speak?

varg denying it's existence is simply (yet another) attempt on his part to chip away and diminish the legacy of his chief rival.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.05.2008 - 06:18
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Frankly, I think Varg could be said to be far from having recreated Black Metal, but he did play a role in the most Crucial band/series of events in the second wave. However, because it was Euronomys' band and his initial concept, I voted for him, dispite the fact that he was a real dick. I wish I could Say Ishaan or Hellhammer, because as people they are way cooler and definitly very influential, but I just don't think the second wave would have gotten as far as it did without Euronomys.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
17.06.2011 - 13:51
JD
Account deleted
Dead's death play a big role, also Euronymous, and Varg, this is the top 3, i will vote for any of them, but voted for Varg.
08.10.2011 - 15:09
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Did Satyr spend time in prison like the rest of the dudes listed? Excluding Dead and Euronymous, of course.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
08.10.2011 - 19:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
If you don't go to jail you don't influence anyone.

The Rules of Black Metal and Rap.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.10.2011 - 20:08
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 19.07.2007 at 02:33

Euronymous.

his brainchild, Mayhem, was the one that basically kicked off the second wave movement. he was the one who inspired other bands to start playing that style of music (Immortal, Darkthrone), he was the one who founded DSP records to put out black metal, was the one who owned the shop that functioned as BMHQ, and was making all those outrageous claims in zines...

how many bands would not exist if not for what he did with Mayhem? they might not SOUND like Mayhem, but if not for Mayhem, there probably would be no second wave.

Vargy might have been number two, but has the benefit of, well, killing Euronymous - he lives and gets to continue to make ridiculous statements whereas Euronymous was cut short and has had his legacy tainted by Vargy.

Within the context of the second wave, as the thread requests, it has to be Euronymous.

Wonder what Euronymous would have done if he wasn't killed by Varg, and this comes from a non-Mayhem fan. Euronymous is to black metal what Chuck Schuldiner is to death metal.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2007 at 11:36

Wihtout Euronymous Varg would never have been know at all IMO

Yes, that's right, and without Abbath he wouldn't have gotten into the scene at all.
12.10.2011 - 13:51
ANGEL REAPER

Well because all of them second wave got all the attention that first wave lacked thus made this underground music well known.
But my vote goes to Varg... he was THE BADASS of the second wave.Church burning ,murder,neo-nazism,odinism,gave the ammo to Dead,made good bm stuff, escaped jail few times...i mean many people into bm that i know first heard about Varg and than about black metal...
and he likes his cornflakes crispy ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.10.2011 - 13:54
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 11.10.2011 at 20:08

Euronymous is to black metal what Chuck Schuldiner is to death metal.

actually that is Quorthon...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.10.2011 - 15:38
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 12.10.2011 at 13:54

Written by Guest on 11.10.2011 at 20:08

Euronymous is to black metal what Chuck Schuldiner is to death metal.

actually that is Quorthon...

Sorry, I always forget about Bathory...
12.10.2011 - 16:47
TheBigRossowski

Definitely Varg. I'd like to post more, but for some strange reason this seems like an axiom (almost). Varg pretty much laid the way for black metal becoming what it is... (ughh, or was). Euronymous was more or less the dog with a whole lot of bark, but not too much bite.

The rest is as they say, history.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
12.10.2011 - 19:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 12.10.2011 at 13:51

I loved him in that documentary...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.10.2011 - 20:44
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.10.2011 at 19:52

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 12.10.2011 at 13:51

I loved him in that documentary...

yeah me too...
----
18.10.2011 - 09:10
blackelkspeaks

I like that half of these guys are from mayhem
----
when i die one thousand birds will fly out of my mouth