Metal Storm logo
Most influental man during second wave of black metal

Poll

which one do you beleave that is the most influental black metal man?

Varg Vikernes
Øystein Aarseth (Euronymous)
Per Yngve Ohlin (Dead)
Other ...
Samoth
Satyr
Bård Faust

Total votes: 79
15.07.2007 - 23:09
Hamird
Lieutenant
These six men that i put in the list were the main members of the most influental black metal group which called BLACK METAL INNER CIRCLE ... so maybe you think about somene who was not a member of this group ...
i think that the most influental man in black metal was VARG VIKERNES who recreated the black metal. that is my opinion. so you name your choise and tell the reason ...
cheers
15.07.2007 - 23:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.07.2007 - 23:30
Hamird
Lieutenant
i didn't talked about voice ... maybe i asked my question bad. i meant which one is the most influental man, not vocalist. both musically and socially.
if i wanted to ask about vocalists:
1-i didn't put Euronymous and Samoth
2- i love ATTILA ... so i would put him, or other great vocalist in the list.
16.07.2007 - 12:14
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Bad English on 15.07.2007 at 23:16

This is not same?
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=981

No, we are talking here about influence, not about the vocals.

Anyway, in my opinion, Euronymous, simply because he was the leader. Second comes Varg Vikernes, because he was the one who rebelled against the leader. The others on the list werent that influental compared with those two.
16.07.2007 - 12:34
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I believe you misspelled the title there. There is no 2 in second.

Anyway, I'm split between Dead, Euronymous, and Varg Vikernes. Dead became dead when he blew out his brains dead and became dead... dead. Euronymous was one of the two minds behind the fantastic album "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas". Finally, Varg Vikernes for stabbing Euronymous 23 times (I think it was 23, I'm not sure).
16.07.2007 - 13:08
Basso
Account deleted
Varg imo. His music still stands today as some of the better BM ever done. His radical beliefs have influenced almost all of eastern europes BM scene. Besides he is a much more intressting person than Euronymous ever was.
16.07.2007 - 17:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Only two that deserve to have a shot for the title are Euronymous and Varg.

Basso makes a good point. And there are far more Burzum clones than Mayhem clones. But Mayhem recorded De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas'.

All in all I'd say Varg.

Varg has influenced East European scene.
Varg was on DMDS.
Varg single-handedly recorded Det Som, Hvis Lyset and Filosofem.
Varg killed Euronymous, lots of publicity for BM.

That's about it?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.07.2007 - 17:25
APOHAKC
The Bard
Varg definetely. Other musicians mostly became influenced by their music, except Euronymous while Varg became god to hordes of metalheads because of evertyhing he has done, sometimes I have feeling that his fans are trying to find out the way he is shiting and to do the same.

He is/was influental person because he have great band, with good lyrics, and beside that he spread some kind of propaganda all the time, he burned chrches, he was Satanist, some kinf of nazist, paganist...

Again, as Nervel said, he somehow influenced even new way of eastern (you can say NS) Black Metal, he influenced many Viking, pagan non Black Metal and Black Metal bands, he influenced many musicians from different Metal (and even non-metal) genres, and also he influenced big number of kids who will maybe make music one day, but even if they don't they have Varg's ideas in their head..
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
18.07.2007 - 13:45
Infurnace

I agree, Varg Vikernes is perhaps the most influental man. I mean, he killed Euronymous. He was also influental to all those bands out there, not only in the eastern part of Europe, but to bands all over the world.
19.07.2007 - 02:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Euronymous.

his brainchild, Mayhem, was the one that basically kicked off the second wave movement. he was the one who inspired other bands to start playing that style of music (Immortal, Darkthrone), he was the one who founded DSP records to put out black metal, was the one who owned the shop that functioned as BMHQ, and was making all those outrageous claims in zines...

how many bands would not exist if not for what he did with Mayhem? they might not SOUND like Mayhem, but if not for Mayhem, there probably would be no second wave.

Vargy might have been number two, but has the benefit of, well, killing Euronymous - he lives and gets to continue to make ridiculous statements whereas Euronymous was cut short and has had his legacy tainted by Vargy.

Within the context of the second wave, as the thread requests, it has to be Euronymous.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.07.2007 - 08:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Euronymous for all the reasons BitterCOld stated.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2007 - 11:27
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by Lucas on 16.07.2007 at 17:18

All in all I'd say Varg.

Varg was on DMDS.

That's about it?

WORD.
19.07.2007 - 11:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Wihtout Euronymous Varg would never have been know at all IMO
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.07.2007 - 04:18
Bitch Boy

All votes are only for Euronymous and Varg.

Mine was for Euronymous. He was an influence even for Varg himself at that time, and Mayhem are still among the most influential bands not only in BM but in metal world. But Varg was also influential of course, especially with that church burning issues.
27.07.2007 - 19:24
Thrash666

Written by Lucas on 16.07.2007 at 17:18

Only two that deserve to have a shot for the title are Euronymous and Varg.

Basso makes a good point. And there are far more Burzum clones than Mayhem clones. But Mayhem recorded De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas'.

All in all I'd say Varg.

Varg was on DMDS.

That's about it?

Definately agree with you on this one way too much publicity for BM........Euronymus is IMO the most influential
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
10.08.2007 - 07:07
selken
Irreligious
The reason for Euronymous to be most influential can be partly because he is dead, BTW RIP to him, but If he were alive - and varg weren't in jail it could be dramatically different.

So my vote goes for Euronymous
----
22.08.2007 - 17:05
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Bitch Boy on 20.07.2007 at 04:18

All votes are only for Euronymous and Varg.

Mine was for Euronymous. He was an influence even for Varg himself at that time, and Mayhem are still among the most influential bands not only in BM but in metal world. But Varg was also influential of course, especially with that church burning issues.

yeah, this topic has turned to VARG vs. Ueronymous topic ...

i think Varg did something which made him a known person. after burning churchs, killing the unluvky uronymous, and so on ... and also he made a monster from black metal to non-metal people. and they are afraid of black metal.
but i've heard some rumors about that Varg has claimed that he will kill Marilyn Manson after he will be released from jail. ... if it is true i hope that Varg come out from jail as soon as possible ...
22.08.2007 - 19:08
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I'd say Euronymous, as he was the one to start the movement, and although his personality might not be as interesting as Vikernes, the poll here isn't about the most interesting person from the second wave, and anyway without Euronymous Vikernes would have had no one to kill to gain that publicity.
22.08.2007 - 22:27
Pinusar
Account deleted
Hence, without Euronymous Vikernes might not even have gotten interested in black metal...

However, I'd rather not say who was the most influential, because I don't know the scene very well, so...
23.08.2007 - 08:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Euronymous OF COURSE, without Euronymopus Varg wouldn't have existed and would still be called Kristian. Euronymous inspired Varg, therefore it is simple that Euronymous is the most influential. Varg should just rot in his cell
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.08.2007 - 09:04
Chaosgoat

Euronymous, because he was the one behind the Mayhem, which was probably the most influecial bm that exists. Not to mention he was the leader of the inner circle

to all of you who say Varg, he wouldn't have murdered euronymous if euronymous hadn't joked about torturing him, and thus never gained either fame or influence. In short Varg was (and definitely still is) an idiot who takes things too seriously and couldn't point out a joke.
23.08.2007 - 17:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
Euronymous for the exact same reason as Marcel.
----
30.08.2007 - 00:43
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.08.2007 at 08:40

Varg should just rot in his cell

and his Casio out of reach.

EDIT: I don't think DMDS should even come into question. The genre already had its' sound developed fully by then. It just happened to be Mayhem's first album. Also, about half the songs were already written and performed before the recording sessions ever started.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
30.08.2007 - 18:44
Baz Anderson

Euronymous had the biggest influence for the music over the second wave of black metal - but Varg I would think definitely is the guy that brought the reputation of black metal to what it is now..

so I would say music - Euronymous. black metal's reputation - Varg

I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to black metal though..
30.08.2007 - 19:26
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.08.2007 at 08:40

Euronymous OF COURSE, without Euronymopus Varg wouldn't have existed and would still be called Kristian. Euronymous inspired Varg, therefore it is simple that Euronymous is the most influential. Varg should just rot in his cell

Yes. And it was around Euronymous that everyone gathered at first. He somehow masterminded the scene, which quickly got out of his hands.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.05.2008 - 14:37
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
sure Varg cause if he didnt kill Euronymous and if he wasnt a church burner,BM couldnt spread like this.
04.05.2008 - 22:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Varg...

Even if Euronymous influenced Varg...
Right now... Varg is the one that has influenced more people [specially in the easter area]

This is of course a personal opinion.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.05.2008 - 23:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Euronymous of course. he was the main man behind Mayhem and the whole second coming of black metal. just think, the first black metal record label, Helvete, the countless shocking stories and act or just the bands he was involved with: Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal (they actually started playing black metal because of Euronymous).

he is also influential today. take Watain for example.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
05.05.2008 - 07:34
totaliteraliter

Interesting how almost all the pro-Euronymous voters make derogatory statements about Varg.

Tough choice, Euronymous was extremely important in terms of guitar style, if it was Mayhem vs. Varg I'd probably go with Mayhem, but without Dead Euronymous' influence is a bit more confined to the musical side of things. Varg's style is I think far more imitated and probably more of the respected pure BM bands since have followed in the Burzum style than the Mayhem style. What Varg created is much more versatile and broad (he pushed farther beyond Satanism and the occult), Euronymous and Mayhem kind of mastered their style and left little room for innovation in their niche (and they have since largely abandoned it). With Burzum's prevailing influence on most things pagan, folk and/or NS in black metal I have to go with him. Not to mention his ideas have become much more discussed and important, although he of course has the advantage of not being dead for the last few decades.
05.05.2008 - 07:40
Haightredy

I say Samoth, because I like Emperor, but now that I accually think about it, I should Have voted Euronymous because he kind of did get Varg into Black Metal, and De Mystreriis Dom Sathanas was an amasing album.