05. Glory Of The World
06. A Million Light Years Away
07. Freedom
08. Infinity
09. Celestial Dream
10. It's A Mystery [bonus]
11. Why Are We Here? [bonus]
12. Keep The Flame [French bonus]

After "Visions" and "Destiny," two very good albums, Stratovarius is back with "Infinite." I'm sure every fan was expecting another album better or at least as good as the previous ones; fortunately, it is!

The album is very? well? Stratovarius. Anyone can recognize the classic "team work" of the guitars and keyboards. The opener is nothing more, nothing less than "Hunting High And Low," one of the band's best songs (and my personal favourite). The chorus of this song is really good and catchy and it puts the listener into the album. Actually, this is a good point of this album: is easy to like it (just like the two previous ones), and I don't mean that in a bad way.

Some other great Stratovarius songs are in this album, such as "A Million Light Years Away" and "Phoenix." It also has some powerful songs, like "Millennium," "Freedom" and "Glory of the World," good ballads as the already mentioned "A Million Light Years Away," "Mother Gaia" and "Celestial Dream" (this last one being a beautiful acoustic ballad, very interesting) and the epic "Infinity."

The bad thing is that even without any bad song only 2 or 3 of them are really special ones, with something different, some creativity. Every single song is enjoyable and if you like Stratovarius then buy it, you can be sure that it is a very good album, believe me. Just don't expect something too different from the others.

Written by Fierce Deity | 06.09.2005

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 116 users
16.07.2007 - 01:03
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
In Infinite, the band shows it's face most progressive with Phoenix. New Hymns of the Melodic Power like Hunting High And Low and A Million Light Years Away and the awesome Infinity. One of the best works of Stratovarius.
15.11.2007 - 01:38
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
i don't own this one, but wow look at all the great songs on there! This is the album where they really found themselves imo.
31.03.2008 - 05:31
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
best album from stratovarius.. its very hard to find a bad song in this one (Millennium is the worst). 9,6/10
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
09.05.2008 - 22:27
ChriVa
Account deleted
the best album ever!Hunting high and low ROCKS!!!!!!!
29.10.2008 - 19:12
Hourglass
Account deleted
Stratovarius is original as a band (other power metal bands don't sound like them) but within themselves they do repeat their ways of music quite often but i don't care I love it and more of the good is good. Infinity is great
19.12.2008 - 08:49
Rating: 9
Morphis

A brilliant album.
19.09.2009 - 21:06
Rating: 10
-Mayhem-

A great album.
This was a fine piece of art in their discography.
You don't always have to do the best album because only one album can really be the best but really Infinite sure was worth making even if it isn't their best.
20.09.2009 - 01:29
Lord_Regnier

I think this album marks the point at which Stratovarius started to repeat themselves over and over. This album is basically only a slightly alternative version of "Destiny". They were very predictable after that.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
20.09.2009 - 10:13
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I dont like this album that much, though it is not to be called "bad"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.02.2010 - 00:24
Dominus
The Shooter
Hunting High And Low is the best Strato song
20.02.2011 - 20:42
Mountain King
K i K o
This is their best album with Visions...
20.02.2011 - 23:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I feel this album certainly isn't up there with their absolute best works. :\ It kicks off with the amazing "Hunting High And Low", but sadly, the album overall lacks the consistency, and high volume of truly great tracks that their best albums offer. It's certainly not a bad album, but for me anyway, this was a step down in quality from the classic Strato albums.
21.02.2011 - 04:36
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 20.02.2011 at 23:27

I feel this album certainly isn't up there with their absolute best works. :\ It kicks off with the amazing "Hunting High And Low", but sadly, the album overall lacks the consistency, and high volume of truly great tracks that their best albums offer. It's certainly not a bad album, but for me anyway, this was a step down in quality from the classic Strato albums.

This album is not bad. It's one of their good ones. However, imo, it suffers from the major flaw common to all the albums Stratovarius released from "Destiny" to "Elements part 2". Guitar riffs are drown under drums because drums are way too much on top of everything else in the mix. Honestly, I can't stand this album nowadays because drums are a huge annoyance to me. I think Stratovarius is even worse than Brutal Death Metal on this aspect.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
21.02.2011 - 07:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 21.02.2011 at 04:36
This album is not bad. It's one of their good ones. However, imo, it suffers from the major flaw common to all the albums Stratovarius released from "Destiny" to "Elements part 2". Guitar riffs are drown under drums because drums are way too much on top of everything else in the mix. Honestly, I can't stand this album nowadays because drums are a huge annoyance to me. I think Stratovarius is even worse than Brutal Death Metal on this aspect.

It isn't a bad album, and I never suggested it was. lol I just think overall it lacks something compared to albums like "Visions" or "Episode".

Ive never had a problem hearing the guitar riffs on "Infinite" or the "Elements" albums. That is an issue I have with some brutal death bands. That the production has a tendency to bury the guitar riffs, so you can't make them out. It's worse in grindcore bands though. Carcass' "Reek Of Putrefaction", being the most classic example. Ive never been able to accurately judge that album, because I can't hear most of the riffs! hehee
21.02.2011 - 14:18
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 21.02.2011 at 07:30

Written by RavenKing on 21.02.2011 at 04:36

It isn't a bad album, and I never suggested it was. lol I just think overall it lacks something compared to albums like "Visions" or "Episode".

Ive never had a problem hearing the guitar riffs on "Infinite" or the "Elements" albums. That is an issue I have with some brutal death bands. That the production has a tendency to bury the guitar riffs, so you can't make them out. It's worse in grindcore bands though. Carcass' "Reek Of Putrefaction", being the most classic example. Ive never been able to accurately judge that album, because I can't hear most of the riffs! hehee

I know you never suggested it was a bad album. And I agree about it being a bit lacking compared to "Episode" and "visions". Stratovarius had become predictable traditional Tolkkivarius when this album came out.

It's not that I can't hear the riffs, it's that they don't stand out enough and drums are a huge annoyance because they don't blend with the rest, they're on top of it.

I don't listen to Brutal Death. It's a genre I hate. And guitar riffs being buried is one of the reasons I don't enjoy it.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.12.2012 - 14:27
Sword_Chant

For someone who is starting out on the Stratovarius discography - this album makes a great first purchase. 'Hunting High And Low' is a classic that will remain for many years. 'A Million Light Years Away' is another great tune and 'Millenium', 'Phoenix' and 'Freedom' contain the fast paced drums, riffs and solos that made them so captivating in their mid-career.

Infinite is a f*cking great album, one of their most listenable to date but not quite as grandiose as their albums in 1994-1998. Man those years of the band were something special.
27.08.2016 - 02:10
BlankFile

Awsome album, really catchy.

Hits total: 10025 | This month: 7