02. Set
03. The Wheel
04. Aspherance
05. The Myth
06. Mass Cathexis
07. The Form
08. The Formed
09. All And Nothing

Remaining at the head of the trail being blazed can be exhausting, but it can also invigorate the senses by providing inspiration for sources of new ideas.

Having paved the path for many a follower with their off-kilter brand of technically charged black metal, Krallice achieved a full circle rotation resulting in the chasing of their own jagged tails, forming a constant tug-of-war state between their innovation and the continued sonic expansion of their peers. Incorporating the universe of influence from their New York origins in an effort to create invasive aural textures of complexity over the better part of a decade, they've succeeded not only in helping shine the light on an oft-overlooked area of murky avant-garde dissonance, but also in showcasing the virtuosity and progressive thought structures of black metal's musicians in regards to what constitutes the formula of extremity.

Mass Cathexis works as a harrowing pressure cooker featuring a burdensome atmosphere that maintains its grounded realism through excellent use of hypnotic melodic riffing, ensuring its listeners (and creators) don't get carried away beyond the ominous grey skies and end up stranded too close to the sun. It's finely tuned and delivered at times menacingly, other times in a more welcoming and accessible rendition, mostly when served on the same platter as its saccharine side menu: an effervescent ambiance that pulls incessantly at the weighty bass lines like a garrote. It tightens steadfastly around the atmospheric girth, a chastity belt stifling the cacophony of noisy plucking from spewing up any unwanted excess. And beyond all of the combative instrumentation competing simultaneously to be heard and silenced, there lies in wait an intensely grimy, seedy underbelly of offal and sewage. New York indeed.

Readily fulfilling the expectation of being a big picture oddity, Mass Cathexis is a cautionary resolution that shows exactly where the Krallice ideology was generated, exploring avenues previously touched upon, but never delved into. The sound is more concise, as these sporadic iterations vary so quickly between each other that they rarely allow the listener enough time to digest them before they're abandoned in favor of a radically shifted chord progression that leads into further uncharted territory. They refuse to dwell on any particular aspect of their sound, straying as far as possible from droning repetition, making a concerted effort to alter direction seemingly whenever possible. After all, it's easiest to lead where no one else is willing to follow.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 04.10.2020 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 123 users
05.10.2020 - 22:24
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Colin Marston is steadily becoming one of my favorite musicians/producers
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.10.2020 - 23:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RaduP on 05.10.2020 at 22:24

Colin Marston is steadily becoming one of my favorite musicians/producers

I'm seeing his name pop up seemingly everywhere and while I haven't explored the entirety of his involvements, I haven't really disliked anything he's put his name on.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.10.2020 - 23:07
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.10.2020 at 23:00

I'm seeing his name pop up seemingly everywhere and while I haven't explored the entirety of his involvements, I haven't really disliked anything he's put his name on.

Yet.
----
05.10.2020 - 23:19
nikarg

Didn't Colin Marston produce the latest Imperial Triumphant?

It must be a real challenge for anyone's sanity to listen to Alphaville and Mass Cathexis back to back.
05.10.2020 - 23:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by nikarg on 05.10.2020 at 23:19

Didn't Colin Marston produce the latest Imperial Triumphant?

It must be a real challenge for anyone's sanity to listen to Alphaville and Mass Cathexis back to back.

Pyrrhon and Defeated Sanity as well, among others. He definitely has an affinity for the more intricate challenges when it comes to the producing side of things.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.10.2020 - 23:24
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by nikarg on 05.10.2020 at 23:19

I'll take it.
----
06.10.2020 - 18:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Got me fired up to check it out, Killjoy. in my listen to queue.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.10.2020 - 22:01
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.10.2020 at 23:00

The guy's in behold the arctopus, indricothere, krallice and gorguts, he's only 38 and already a legend
(btw is this how you answer to people, it's my first time trying that out)
06.10.2020 - 22:02
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Okay that's definitely not how you do it
06.10.2020 - 22:06
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Roman Doez on 06.10.2020 at 22:02

Let me help you with that.
----
06.10.2020 - 22:16
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by RaduP on 06.10.2020 at 22:06

Written by Roman Doez on 06.10.2020 at 22:02

Let me help you with that.

Thanks haha I'm struggling a lil bit
06.10.2020 - 22:17
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Roman Doez on 06.10.2020 at 22:16

Thanks haha I'm struggling a lil bit

Soon you'll also learn to trim the quotes.
----
06.10.2020 - 22:20
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by RaduP on 06.10.2020 at 22:17

I'm unstoppable
06.10.2020 - 22:21
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Roman Doez on 06.10.2020 at 22:20

Written by RaduP on 06.10.2020 at 22:17

I'm unstoppable

Oh wow I actually successfully did that, I'm proud of myself now
07.10.2020 - 01:03
nikarg

Written by Roman Doez on 06.10.2020 at 22:21

Oh wow I actually successfully did that, I'm proud of myself now

This is so much fun
07.10.2020 - 16:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by BitterCOld on 06.10.2020 at 18:13

Got me fired up to check it out, Killjoy. in my listen to queue.

It's as solid as anything they've ever done, but a little more on the nose at times. Hopefully it tickles your fancy.
----
07.10.2020 - 16:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Roman Doez on 06.10.2020 at 22:01

The guy's in behold the arctopus, indricothere, krallice and gorguts, he's only 38 and already a legend

I'm glad to see the journey of your quoting messages unfold successfully

Some day you'll be as prolific a commenter as Colin Marston is a sound engineer and musician 🙏
----
07.10.2020 - 16:41
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.10.2020 at 16:34

Written by Roman Doez on 06.10.2020 at 22:01

I'm glad to see the journey of your quoting messages unfold successfully

Some day you'll be as prolific a commenter as Colin Marston is a sound engineer and musician 🙏

This is all I want to do in life, comment

Hits total: 2165 | This month: 3