Metal Storm logo
Epica - Announce 'Omega' Album, Share First Single & Video

Symphonic metal powerhouse Epica unveil details and premiere first official single from their new studio album, entitled Omega. Due out on February 26th 2021 via Nuclear Blast, it will be the band's first full length in five years and will feature 12 new songs. The single "Abyss Of Time" is now streaming with accompanying video clip, made in collaboration with Grupa 13.

About the new album, Mark Jansen comments: "I am very proud of this album, as I am convinced we have written a very refreshing and well balanced album even after so many years of existence. Our strength is that we have many great songwriters in one band. We have managed to combine each other's strongest qualities and selected the best songs. It was a fruitful period of spending time together to work as one team on those tracks. I think this has made the biggest difference compared to our previous albums. Still using the advantages of comfortably sending files by the internet to each other but combining that with coming physically together again to work on all the tracks. I think I have listened to Omega about 50 times already and still can't get enough of it!"

Simone Simons on the video: "Finally we can show you the video for our newest single "Abyss Of Time"! We flew all the way to Poland to work with Grupa 13 for the first time. Shooting videos is one of my favorite parts of creating the visual side to our music. The costumes were insanely beautiful. It was so much fun and I hope that you like the video."

Omega tracklist:

01. Alpha - Anteludium
02. Abyss Of Time - Countdown To Singularity
03. The Skeleton Key
04. Seal of Solomon
05. Gaia
06. Code Of Life
07. Freedom - The Wolves Within
08. Kingdom Of Heaven, Part 3 - The Antediluvian Universe
09. Rivers
10. Synergize - Manic Manifest
11. Twilight Reverie - The Hypnagogic State
12. Omega - Sovereign Of The Sun Spheres

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Epica
Posted: 09.10.2020 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 21   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 187 users
09.10.2020 - 20:16
Lord Grim
Woohoo! And it will release a couple of days before my b-day! Thanks for the present, Epica! Looking forward to the full album release!
----
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary in life."
09.10.2020 - 20:25
Metren
Dreadrealm
An uninspired song, even by Epica's own very low standards.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
09.10.2020 - 21:20
CWA
Written by Metren on 09.10.2020 at 20:25

You've envy is showing, just in case you weren't aware.
09.10.2020 - 22:48
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Yeah, that's a good song.
09.10.2020 - 22:52
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by CWA on 09.10.2020 at 21:20

Well, shit. Excuse me for a moment...

Bad envy, bad! I told you not to reveal yourself to less-than-mediocre symphonic metal bands! Back into the back pocket with ya!!!

But seriously, if there's a symphonic metal band I envy out there it's Wilderun, not fucking Epica. This song is mediocre AF as is almost everything Epica have ever put out. Deal with it.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
10.10.2020 - 00:49
IBlackened

Are you calling him envious just because he's a musician? When you don't like something, what's the reason?
----
Their old stuff is better.
10.10.2020 - 03:22
CWA
Written by IBlackened on 10.10.2020 at 00:49

Are you calling him envious just because he's a musician? When you don't like something, what's the reason?

Yes, I called him envious because he is a musician who referred to Epica as having "very low standards". I should have quoted him more accurately. I agree the song in question sounded uninspired, and was personally underwhelming and redundant, but so say they have "very low standards" in general is the statement of an envious man.
10.10.2020 - 04:31
Nifheim
Nifheim
I noticed some reminiscence of Consign To Oblivion, especially the chorus (it reminded me of Dance of Fate).

Good song for being the first single; surely the album is much better; I hope better than THP which I didn't like very much.
10.10.2020 - 09:49
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by Metren on 09.10.2020 at 22:52

But seriously, if there's a symphonic metal band I envy out there it's Wilderun, not fucking Epica. This song is mediocre AF as is almost everything Epica have ever put out. Deal with it.

Some one (me) could argue that the band had better songs at the start of their discography where the symphonic metal was less or not at all part of their sound. Personally I think this song is fine, but if this is another one of those 75+ minute albums, then 90% of it will very likely to fit under that "mediocre AF" symphonic metal label.
----
My vision is augmented
10.10.2020 - 11:16
Lord Slothrop
A solid song. I'm very much looking forward to this album to drop. I've enjoyed all of their releases, more or less, with relish. And sometimes ketchup. Spicy, of course.
10.10.2020 - 12:39
annodomini
I usually am not pleased with leading singles that Epica releases, but this is an amazing song. And totally agree with strong Consignt to Oblivion album vibes. If they keep up this quality, it will be another amazing album.
----
the riddle wants to be...
10.10.2020 - 13:32
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
This is probably the weakest single they ever released. I hope the album is way better.
But hey judging by the yt comments, the crowds are happy.
10.10.2020 - 18:34
Callisto
I mean, it would be a more than enjoyable song if it had'nt been done like a thousand times before.
10.10.2020 - 19:01
FELIX42
A clasical stuff...well produced..very nice sound--..not their best song but i hope this añbum will be better than the last one
10.10.2020 - 19:26
Abattoir
Staff
Actually very solid, likeable stuff. The song shows some diversity and grows gradually, with the more intensive second part. Will definitely pay more attention on this one comparing to the last two records.
10.10.2020 - 21:07
SAY10
I liked it. Beautiful middle part and last minute too.
12.10.2020 - 00:18
Fabiano
Written by Guest on 10.10.2020 at 13:32

But hey judging by the yt comments, the crowds are happy.

That's why I almost never look at YT comments if I seek for an objective review, I only scroll them when I want to see some positivity on something I like but it's not well received by critics.
13.10.2020 - 20:31
mikeprado30

The voice of undervaluing other musicians' work just by the "own taste's" sake. In my case I don't like for example the music from Linkin Park but I wouldn't say something like that about their music. Definitively some people are in a very obnoxious snob behaviour. Then I remind that I'm on Metalstorm and everything takes sense once again, SAD BUT TRUE...

"Live and let to die..."

And before anyone tell "you're just blindly defending your favorite band", my favorite band is BLIND GUARDIAN.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
13.10.2020 - 20:47
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by mikeprado30 on 13.10.2020 at 20:31

The voice of undervaluing other musicians' work just by the "own taste's" sake. In my case I don't like for example the music from Linkin Park but I wouldn't say something like that about their music. Definitively some people are in a very obnoxious snob behaviour. Then I remind that I'm on Metalstorm and everything takes sense once again, SAD BUT TRUE...

I didn't realize I was being snobbish/elitist. I think Epica basically suck balls (apart from some of their early stuff), but that's all there is to it. It's just my opinion. I don't think that is "undervaluing" Epica either, as there's no such thing as objective value when it comes to musical compositions. I don't care when people criticize my favorite bands, even if they use harsh language, which is why I don't see a problem here. You're free to praise or bash Linkin Park or Epica or whatever. It is perfectly normal to express one's dislike for a band in a music forum. I would never criticize fans for their taste though, that's where I draw the line and for me those two things are completely separated. Criticizing a band is not elitist, criticizing fans of said band for liking the band is what I consider elitist and such behavior I find obnoxious myself.

"Live and let to die..."

Epica aren't going to live or die by one person's opinions LMFAO.

And before anyone tell "you're just blindly defending your favorite band", my favorite band is BLIND GUARDIAN.

Was that a pun??? BC I smiled. Well done.
----
13.10.2020 - 21:44
JoHn Doe
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
02.11.2020 - 16:04
SageBlackMetal
Epica always do a great mix between technicality and melody in all facets of their music. This is no exception. Pre-ordered.
----
Check out my one-man, atmospheric black metal project below. Free Downloads:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdEEl0_hWvGgCtmuwfZjUmA?view_as=subscriber
https://www.instagram.com/sageblackmetal/
http://sageblackmetal.bandcamp.com/

Hits total: 3520 | This month: 11