Metal Storm logo
Satyricon - 15.07 Novi Sad, Serbia

Event: Satyricon: Summer Dates
Written by: APOHAKC
Published: 17.07.2007

After many years of waiting, one of the best bands from the old Norsk Black Metal scene came to my home town, or to be precise Satyr and Frost of Satyricon backed with a band of good musicians. After wasting a lot of time, and money, on this boring festival, waiting for the headliners I took time to walk around and try not to drink too much because I didn't want to ruin the overall impression of the band that I am going to see with too much beer in my stomach. Anyway, since Satyricon was planed for 23:10 and I arrived much earlier it was impossible, so during my visits to the tent where they served alcohol I saw mister Frost who was so drunk that he couldn't stand normaly. Not the best thing to see two hours before their show, well, when I saw him in that condition, I thought to myself, if he can to be drunk before the gig, why the hell can't I? After an hour of drinking bad beer mixed with water, I moved in front of the stage, it was time for the gig to start, well, suprise, suprise, welcome to Serbia! Not only that Satyricon was late, but even the band that should have finished 15 minutes before was still playing (or boring people to death if you want).

After half an hour of doing nothing, sweating like a pig and listening to stupid gossip, Satyricon's came onto the stage and everything was ready for the band to start. After another half an hour of waiting the lights turned off, it was about time. Hvite Kristne Dod started with terrifying Satyr's scream, he was there! Moving onto the stage with great energy and screaming like a maniac. People around me went crazy, they were headbanging, screaming, kicking each other, some guy even bit me... twice! After a few seconds of total madness I tried to pay attention on music, and the first dissapointment come: although Satyr's voice was perfect, and his guitarists were really good, the keys were horrible; in some moments I couldn't hear them at all and sometimes they were just too loud. I suppose it is because of the bad organisation or something, but still it ruined the song. Frost, he was destroying his drums, but in some moments he really was out of rhytm, especially in slow parts with double bass blast beats. But song after song this band showed why they are among the best Black Metal bands in the world, powerful Nemesis Divina, new songs that sounded perfect, for me, even better than old ones, Now Diabolical and Pentagram Burns, then Repined Bastard Nation, and fantastic K.I.N.G.

After some time the sound was improved greatly, and song by song satyricon sounded better and better until perfection. After New Enemy they started Du Som Hater Gut, and came the biggest dissapointment of the night... there were no keys! The adorable girl that played keys obviously forgot why she came and she headbanged during whole song, well yes, she was here for that, too, but the most important thing was to play the instrument! After this song, Satyr said that since they were late they don't have time to go off to stage and came back again so they will keep playing immidiately and it was fair from him. Fuel For Hatred started and then, moment of the evening, of course Mother North. Before the song started Satyr showed what kind of showman he is, he let the fans sing the main melody for two minutes. Mother North was fantastic, I know many people came to hear all songs, but still, this one IS special. After 10 minutes of Mother North Satyricon left stage and their fans completely statisfied. Satyr is really great on stage, and Frost, despite the fact that he was terribly drunk he did great work with only a few mistakes, but who cares!? All in all, Satyricon showed class last night and everyone who like this band should be happy with their overall performance

Setlist:
Hvite Kristne Dod
Nemesis Divina
Now, diabolical
Pentagram burns
Repined bastard nation
K.I.N.G.
New enemy
Du Som Hater Gut
Fuel for hatred
Mother north

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 13 users
17.07.2007 - 21:32
Ernis
狼獾
Hey....I loved that concert review...it was nice, not tediously long and fun to read....
17.07.2007 - 22:47
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Sounds awesome. Hopefully I will see them one day.
18.07.2007 - 10:17
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I enjoyed that review.

You are good at conveying the atmosphere of the concert.

Write more
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
18.07.2007 - 15:51
APOHAKC
The Bard
Thanx friends..

about writting, well, I dunno, I planned to write only one to try, but now you encourge me anyway, I am going to Blind Guardian on monday, maybe I write something (if I like the show)
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
20.07.2007 - 21:27
APOHAKC
The Bard
Clips from this concert:

Satyricon - Mother North

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6g_ljm5Rks

Satyricon - K.I.N.G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sNNu6Wu3Uw
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!

Hits total: 4857 | This month: 3