Metal Storm logo
Stratovarius vs Sonata Arctica

Original post

Posted by , 18.07.2007 - 21:30
Duel between the two biggest exponents of Melodic Power Metal.

Stratovarius had a longer journey, but Sonata Arctica in so little time had demonstrated to be one of the best bands of the Finnish Power Metal. Stratovarius with Fourth Dimension demonstrated to be the angular stone of the Melodic Power Metal and It reach the top with Visions in 97. In 99 appears Sonata Arctica with Ecliptica, one of the albums more important in this style.

What do you think ?

Poll

Which do you Prefer ?

Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica

Total votes: 244
04.07.2011 - 18:57
SPNkitkat

I'm quite amazed how close it is! It's a battle of old vs new, Stratovarius have got to be one of the founders of power metal -especially in Finland- while Sonata are much more recent in comparison, with a generally more modern style. Personally I far prefer Sonata Arctica though, and my vote goes to them.
10.07.2011 - 23:40
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Can't stand both. Very cheesy. Especially in Sonata Arctica's Blank File when their vocals keeps going higher with his voice until you say it's impossible to go higher, but still, he does and it sounds very cheesy. No offense, but probably not a fan of both.
11.07.2011 - 01:58
Vacant Throne

My girlfriend is Sonata to the core and I am Stratovarius to the core, so this argument goes on quite a bit in my household!
11.07.2011 - 13:27
diaminder

My voice for the original pioneers of the Finnish power metal school - for Stratovarius!
12.07.2011 - 12:31
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 10.07.2011 at 23:40

Can't stand both. Very cheesy. Especially in Sonata Arctica's Blank File when their vocals keeps going higher with his voice until you say it's impossible to go higher, but still, he does and it sounds very cheesy. No offense, but probably not a fan of both.

Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica started to sing in his more natural voice somewhere in the third album
As for my voice, it goes to Sonata. Much smarter band, with better lyrics and all, and no members of it have been total cooks and stubborn people, which helps the music also, a band with a lot more variety.
----
7.0 means the album is good
12.07.2011 - 14:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Milena on 12.07.2011 at 12:31

Written by Guest on 10.07.2011 at 23:40

Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica started to sing in his more natural voice somewhere in the third album
As for my voice, it goes to Sonata. Much smarter band, with better lyrics and all, and no members of it have been total cooks and stubborn people, which helps the music also, a band with a lot more variety.

I agree about lyrics because Strato was and are so weird, only Fight Night lyrics is good others are to weir even try to read and understand , its like get master degre in fisics or chemistry LOL
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.07.2011 - 00:20
Sean 79

Stratovarius. I like Sonata Arctica too but i think Stratovarius have the much stronger catalogue.
13.07.2011 - 00:31
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Vacant Throne on 11.07.2011 at 01:58

My girlfriend is Sonata to the core and I am Stratovarius to the core, so this argument goes on quite a bit in my household!

Settle the argument with some Cain's Offering
14.07.2011 - 12:35
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 13.07.2011 at 00:31

Written by Vacant Throne on 11.07.2011 at 01:58

Settle the argument with some Cain's Offering

+1!
----
01.08.2011 - 08:00
tmaniac

Honestly, though Sonata Arctica is one of the best bands out there, it isn't even close IMO. Stratovarius wins by a mile. Especially live. Both first class bands though.
02.08.2011 - 22:01
moe5512

Sonata of Course
21.08.2011 - 21:13
GammaRayForever

I like both, but I voted Stratovarius because they've been a long-time favourite
That's just counting the classics... Stratovarius without Tolkki and Kainulainen can't really match Sonata Arctica
15.09.2011 - 15:37
AMA91

Stratovarius all the way no doubt about it.
17.09.2011 - 15:56
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Even though I haven't listened to Stratovarius, I admit I'd choose Korn over Sonata Arctica. The shittiest band I heard in my whole life.
07.01.2012 - 13:42
LichBorne

Written by Guest on 17.09.2011 at 15:56

Even though I haven't listened to Stratovarius, I admit I'd choose Korn over Sonata Arctica. The shittiest band I heard in my whole life.

we have a winer.
07.01.2012 - 14:40
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by LichBorne on 07.01.2012 at 13:42

we have a winer.

He used to shit all over every thread how Sonata Arctica sucks. Like we don't have enough of casual shitters anyway
----
07.01.2012 - 17:38
RavenKing

Sonata Arctica started as a Stratovarius copycat so, even if I still listened to Powermetal at that time, I never cared for this band.
And now they turned into a popmetal band.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
09.01.2012 - 23:07
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Stratovarius...Sonata Arctica is so cheesy for me, although I really don't listen to power metal anymore if I did I wouldn't listen to Sonata
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
11.01.2012 - 16:44
LichBorne

Written by Milena on 07.01.2012 at 14:40

Written by LichBorne on 07.01.2012 at 13:42

we have a winer.

He used to shit all over every thread how Sonata Arctica sucks. Like we don't have enough of casual shitters anyway

I just cant understand how can anyone choose Korn over Sonata... A real metalhead should know better...
11.01.2012 - 17:12
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by LichBorne on 11.01.2012 at 16:44

I just cant understand how can anyone choose Korn over Sonata... A real metalhead should know better...

I won't judge, I know a lot of people hate that favorite band of mine, but dude, doing this is like standing on rooftops and yelling through a megaphone you hate something. Not very tasteful.
----
15.01.2012 - 15:46
Infernal Eternal

Sonata Arctica all the way although Stratovarius are really good too
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter