Metal Storm logo
Therion - 'Leviathan' Album Announced, Reveal Details & First Single

Swedish symphonic metal pioneers Therion are proud to unleash the first single and title track from their upcoming 17th studio album Leviathan, set to be released on 22 January 2021 via Nuclear Blast.

"We have done the only thing that was left of all the different angles to explore", explains Christofer Johnsson. "We have decided to give the people what they kept asking for. 'Leviathan' is the first album that we have deliberately packed with Therion hit songs."

Leviathan tracklist as follows:

01. The Leaf On The Oak Of Far
02. Tuonela
03. Leviathan
04. Die Wellen Der Zeit
05. A?i Dahāka
06. Eye Of Algol
07. Nocturnal Light
08. Great Marquis Of Hell
09. Psalm Of Retribution
10. El Primer Sol
11. Ten Courts Of Diyu

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Therion
Posted: 13.11.2020 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 31   Visited by: 225 users
13.11.2020 - 18:05
SAY10
Well, I like the song, and I like even more that they seem to go back to the Vovin / Secret of the Runes / Sirius B / Lemuria kind of sound. But, I can't help it, since I saw Cristopher saying that this album was composed as a hit album, to give the fans what they want, instead of making the music that they genuinely would like to do, I already have a strange feeling about it. I'm sure the songs will be great, but I already know it wasn't genuine...
13.11.2020 - 18:14
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by SAY10 on 13.11.2020 at 18:05

But, I can't help it, since I saw Cristopher saying that this album was composed as a hit album, to give the fans what they want, instead of making the music that they genuinely would like to do, I already have a strange feeling about it. I'm sure the songs will be great, but I already know it wasn't genuine...

Word to the wise: never ever believe what artists say about their new output, because they are never honest. They're just selling their product.
13.11.2020 - 19:08
Loban
Просто праздник какой-то!!!!
13.11.2020 - 19:25
Khold Baroness
Powerful song 🎶🎵💪👏👍
13.11.2020 - 19:39
Opethian
This is uninspiring in the flesh. Whatever happened to this group? After Kabbalah, it has gone downhill at 1000mph. Another hard pass from this once beloved Therion fan

*Also, the artwork is as generic as they come
13.11.2020 - 20:18
Lanthros

Well, I like the song, and I like even more that they seem to go back to the Vovin / Secret of the Runes / Sirius B / Lemuria kind of sound. But, I can't help it, since I saw Cristopher saying that this album was composed as a hit album, to give the fans what they want, instead of making the music that they genuinely would like to do, I already have a strange feeling about it. I'm sure the songs will be great, but I already know it wasn't genuine...

I get what you're saying. I kind of agree too. I think what it boils down to is Chris is getting tired of not being as successful as other bands that all but ripped therion off.
13.11.2020 - 20:25
FELIX42
Finally!!! I like this song...but....i never expected a song without power riff....chris always said they returned to the classical stuff....i hope more killer riff in the album
13.11.2020 - 20:28
skelator
Average song, nothing new, never get used to Lori Lewis voice which for me is too high..."forceful opera-like"
Always preffered more Katarina Lilja.
----
Best Metal Albums of 2023: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jaZJRBeBw

Best Metal Demos: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HtsgSQjV44
13.11.2020 - 20:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Somehow i did ignore this band because i thought they dont play metal what is true enough, but in last years i change my mind. I still think this death era was their best. Some sympho albums are bad, but more are good enough to me. This song is ok, i like it, can be good, always bonus points to they creativity
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.11.2020 - 21:38
Crème fraiche
Inormally don't like CGI album art, but that's one dope looking snake leviathan
13.11.2020 - 21:44
Oracles

I have no problem if they want to make albums like The Birth of the Antichrist, but they also have to understand that sometimes what they want to do won't work on the retail spectrum. Their Antichrist album was way too long and way too boring to listen to that it eventually became a choir. Music should never ever become a choir.
13.11.2020 - 22:08
SAY10
Written by skelator on 13.11.2020 at 20:28

Average song, nothing new, never get used to Lori Lewis voice which for me is too high..."forceful opera-like"

Just a small correction, it's not Lori on that song but Chiara Malvestiti.
Katarina was amazing, not only her singing but her performance live. She and Snowy carried Therion on their backs in those "golden years", IMO.
13.11.2020 - 22:10
resurgam
Light version good old Therion ))
13.11.2020 - 22:15
RaphaelThorne

Everyone does. Such a shame she left.
----
Huddled in the safety of a pseudo silk kimono wearing bracelets of smoke, naked of understanding.
13.11.2020 - 23:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Loban on 13.11.2020 at 19:08

Просто праздник какой-то!!!!

Please post your comments in English, as per our rules and guidelines here.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.11.2020 - 02:07
Batlord666
Written by Daniell on 13.11.2020 at 18:14

Word to the wise: never ever believe what artists say about their new output, because they are never honest. They're just selling their product.

What a sadly cynical thing to believe
14.11.2020 - 02:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Batlord666 on 14.11.2020 at 02:07

Yes and no. I would say that, while marketing involves over-selling a product, the responsibility mostly falls on the label to boost sales, and so sometimes musicians are pushed into uncomfortable pitch scenarios where they have to essentially self-review their material in order to promote it appropriately. Thus, tempered expectations are usually best so as not to fall for what could amount to meaningless sales tactics. But if you've ever known any musician or artist of any sort, it's exceedingly rare that they don't genuinely believe in whatever it is that they've created.

Just look at how film critics and audiences responded to John Carpenter's "The Thing" during its theatrical release compared to how he felt (and still feels) about it as a prime example of a content creator's personal opinion of their work failing to reach the esteem they believe it deserves. Thankfully most people came around to liking or loving it, but that doesn't make up for its initial reception.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.11.2020 - 03:41
Batlord666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.11.2020 at 02:29

Written by Batlord666 on 14.11.2020 at 02:07

Yes and no. I would say that, while marketing involves over-selling a product, the responsibility mostly falls on the label to boost sales, and so sometimes musicians are pushed into uncomfortable pitch scenarios where they have to essentially self-review their material in order to promote it appropriately. Thus, tempered expectations are usually best so as not to fall for what could amount to meaningless sales tactics. But if you've ever known any musician or artist of any sort, it's exceedingly rare that they don't genuinely believe in whatever it is that they've created.

Just look at how film critics and audiences responded to John Carpenter's "The Thing" during its theatrical release compared to how he felt (and still feels) about it as a prime example of a content creator's personal opinion of their work failing to reach the esteem they believe it deserves. Thankfully most people came around to liking or loving it, but that doesn't make up for its initial reception.

Yes I would agree on the little blurbs from the labels being there to grab your interest - they can be silly and "a maelstrom masterpiece of malignant metal! For fans of So-and-So!" can make me roll my eyes. What I was replying to was believing that the artists/bands themselves are just peddling instead of just... being proud of what they made and wanting it to get some attention. All of my friends that are in bands always just tell me "Hey, we finished that record we've been working on. Let us know what you think".
And to your thing about The Thing - it has always amazed me that that genuinely perfect masterpiece of sci-fi horror was so panned on release!
14.11.2020 - 07:06
BetterThanRaw

Well, you could always swim over to Gozo and tell Chris that he should hire Katarina again

I really think that this song is awesome. I can't wait to hear the whole album!
----
Kai Hansen über alles!
14.11.2020 - 07:22
tintinb
Written by Crème fraiche on 13.11.2020 at 21:38

That is the lochness monster right? In the artwork?
----
Leeches everywhere.
14.11.2020 - 12:05
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by Crème fraiche on 13.11.2020 at 21:38

I agree, but the font of the album title is despicable.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
14.11.2020 - 12:14
Netzach
Planewalker
staff
Written by RaduP on 14.11.2020 at 12:05

I agree, but the font of the album title is despicable.

Why, oh why did you have to point that out for me? I hadn't noticed before
14.11.2020 - 15:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Netzach on 14.11.2020 at 12:14

Why, oh why did you have to point that out for me? I hadn't noticed before

How? It dominates the entire cover lol
----
14.11.2020 - 15:46
Netzach
Planewalker
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.11.2020 at 15:26

How? It dominates the entire cover lol

That super-cheesy CGI dragon probably had something to do with it
14.11.2020 - 15:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Netzach on 14.11.2020 at 15:46

That super-cheesy CGI dragon probably had something to do with it

When I first read this news here I was on my phone so the bright and bulky font captured my attention more than anything.

The shiny Gyarados doesn't help, either. Just an eyesore all around.
----
14.11.2020 - 15:54
Netzach
Planewalker
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.11.2020 at 15:48

When I first read this news here I was on my phone so the bright and bulky font captured my attention more than anything.

The shiny Gyarados doesn't help, either. Just an eyesore all around.

Gyarados! That ought to have been the album title, with exclamation mark and all.
14.11.2020 - 23:38
Atrus
Written by Opethian on 13.11.2020 at 19:39

This is uninspiring in the flesh. Whatever happened to this group? After Kabbalah, it has gone downhill at 1000mph. Another hard pass from this once beloved Therion fan

Niemann Brothers left the band. Then the fall...
15.11.2020 - 00:33
SAY10
Written by Atrus on 14.11.2020 at 23:38

Written by Opethian on 13.11.2020 at 19:39

Niemann Brothers left the band. Then the fall...

Nieman brothers, drummer Petter Karlsson (who composed various songs as well), Snowy Shaw, Katarina Lilja... that was, by far, the best lineup they ever had.
15.11.2020 - 13:53
Ismarmlp
I love the song. It reminds me of his best symphonic records. And the cover art is fucking awesome!
15.11.2020 - 15:15
The song is nothing special. Sounds like they are emulating their own songs from Gothic Kabbalah and Sitra Ahra. In no way this approaches the quality of Sirius B or Secrets of the Runes. But still far better than any song from their previous ridiculously long and boring album.

Hits total: 4637 | This month: 20