Release date: October 2020

01. Phantom Pain
02. Wires
03. Echoes
04. Kept Afloat
05. Those Scares Are Landmarks
06. I Made My Heart A Field Of Fire
07. Slumber

Dehn Sora is perhaps best known as for his one-man bands, either the black metal Throane or the dark ambient Treha Sektori. Here, he is the guitarist in a post-metal band.

Formed around 2014 in Paris, France, the quartet released a EP-that-is-sort-of-long-enough-to-kinda-be-an-LP with 2016's Eroded, but Fields Of Fire, though only around 12 minutes longer, is where the band truly debuts. I can't seem to find out if anybody of the three members who aren't Dehn Sora are or were part of any significant projects, so I can only hope that Dehn's back is strong enough to carry the entire band's need for clout. So, in short: French band, debut album, Dehn Sora plays guitar. Good. I mentioned that Ovtrenoir plays post-metal, but I guess I should've been more specific that they're on the side of post-metal that is more atmospheric sludge metal than heavy post-rock. Just to clear any confusion.

I'm far from the best French speaker out there, despite all those classes in high school, but from my understanding the band name means something along the lines of "blacker than black". A bit of false advertisement, considering that the band don't play black metal, but as the mood it tries to convey, especially in tandem with the bleak cover art, it's pretty fitting. The cover art and Dehn Sora's involvement are what got my attention in the first place, but of course it happens that the cover art is actually made by Dehn Sora himself, in collaboration with one Hideyuki Ishibashi. And if you want to have thick bass-heavy depressing riffs, you better have the cover art to match it up. Or in this case, the other way around.

It's more than just that they're both French, but at times it does sound like Gojira making a post-metal album but with no chugs. Mostly because of the vocals, but also a bit in the ability to be melodious and crushing at the same time in a very specific way. As much as I enjoy the vocals, I can't help but feel that they lack the variety needed to make the emotional impact of an album that tries to be so mournful and sombre. It falls just short of actually being great post-metal, and as great as the bass and drums that back the guitars and vocals are, the latter two don't do nearly enough to break from the mold of the lineage of a lot of other post-metal bands that attempted this exact sounds and did it better.

It's quite like a one-trick pony. Hearing a few minutes of this is pretty amazing, especially with the way the production emphasizes all the right crushing qualities of the sound, but over the course of the entire listen, you end up realizing that those ambient interludes felt like the most original part of the entire thing.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 17.11.2020 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 35 users
18.11.2020 - 02:40
Nejde
CommunityManager
My Friday ritual is to get up in the morning, make a cup of coffee, sit down by the computer and browse through new releases here on MS. This is a good way to know when bands I listen to release new music and to find new interesting bands and albums. Ovtrenoir is one of those pleasant surprises. This album came out of nowhere from a band no one(?) heard of and it is crushing indeed.

My post-metal/sludge days are mostly beyond me so I can't really compare to other bands like RaduP did even though he didn't name drop any of them. All I know is that this album is very good to listen to while doing all the heavy lifting at the gym and that's good enough for me.

And to RaduP, great review and very nuanced as always. Solid 8 for me.
18.11.2020 - 12:03
Rating: 7
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Nejde on 18.11.2020 at 02:40

My Friday ritual is to get up in the morning, make a cup of coffee, sit down by the computer and browse through new releases here on MS. This is a good way to know when bands I listen to release new music and to find new interesting bands and albums. Ovtrenoir is one of those pleasant surprises. This album came out of nowhere from a band no one(?) heard of and it is crushing indeed.

My post-metal/sludge days are mostly beyond me so I can't really compare to other bands like RaduP did even though he didn't name drop any of them. All I know is that this album is very good to listen to while doing all the heavy lifting at the gym and that's good enough for me.

And to RaduP, great review and very nuanced as always. Solid 8 for me.

I loved this album a lot on first listen, but also because it was during the "let's check a lot of new releases" type of binge. Giving it a closer listen for the review I found myself often thinking "this is going nowhere" and "I heard this so many times before". It didn't really bring to mind any specific bands also doing the sound, but it still feels like a sound I already listened to a lot of times before, and I heard it done better.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
18.11.2020 - 15:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
So radu parlous frsncaise
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.11.2020 - 17:11
musclassia

Yeah, it's nothing exceptional for the genre, and in a year with some really fine post-metal releases it won't challenge the best, but it does a style that I innately find super enjoyable to a good standard, so unsurprisingly I rather like it. The build-up in Echoes is pretty epic
29.11.2020 - 20:45
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Quote:
Hearing a few minutes of this is pretty amazing, especially with the way the production emphasizes all the right crushing qualities of the sound, but over the course of the entire listen, you end up realizing that those ambient interludes felt like the most original part of the entire thing.

This is the most appropriate description of Fields Of Fire I've read so far.

I experienced quite the same, on the first listen I thought it was pretty awesome but on the second and more attentive listen, I caught myself waiting for the moments of sheer brilliance that I thought I had encountered on the first spin. They simply were not there anymore.

Regardless, I still think this is a very solid album. I even purchased it on their bandcamp, not because I consider it a masterpiece or something, but since the "open your heart and open your wallet" pop-up simply annoyed the shit out of me while I was still desperately waiting for the awesomeness that I wrongly presumed to be there to finally return.
----
signatures = SPAM

Hits total: 1481 | This month: 9