Metal Storm logo
Children Of Bodom - Alexi Laiho Passed Away At The Age Of 41

Official statement from Children Of Bodom's Henkka, Janne and Jaska:

"One of the most renowned guitarists in the world, Alexi Laiho, has passed away. The musician, most notably known as the front man of Children of Bodom, died in his home in Helsinki, Finland, last week. Laiho had suffered from long-term health issues during his last years."

"More than 25 years of friendship. We lost a brother. The world lost a phenomenal song writer and one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Memories and Alexi's music will live forever. Our thoughts are with Alexi's family during this difficult time."

Furthermore, his Bodom After Midnight bandmates have shared the following massage: "It is with heavy hearts and great sadness that we have to announce the passing of Alexi Laiho. We are absolutely devastated and heartbroken for the sudden loss of our dear friend and band member. Our journey together as a band had only just begun so there's no words to describe the shock and the bottomless grief that all of us feel.

"May your soul rest in peace, you will be eternally missed. We love you brother.

"Our deepest condolences go to his family. No further announcements nor interviews will be given at this time. We kindly ask to respect our need to process and go through this terrible situation in privacy. Thank you for your understanding and support."

Source: cobhc.com
Band profile: Children Of Bodom
Posted: 04.01.2021 by Abattoir

Comments page 3 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 77   Visited by: 565 users
05.01.2021 - 04:29
Icewings
La Luna
I never got the chance to see CoB .

So sad we keep losing so many people in the world. May he rest in peace and lyric.
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
05.01.2021 - 05:39
Dungeon Shaker

Tonight, somewhere in suburban Chicago, I've paused everything to reflect on the passing of Alexi Laiho. This may sound a little bit melodramatic, and I suppose it is, but a part of my youth is now lost to all but a memory. I don't mean that in the George Lucas fucking up the trilogy with lame postscript CGI kind of way. No, I mean it in the I just lost an old, out of touch friend kind of way. You know, that kid from down the street you used to rage with but, for no particular reason, just went your separate ways.

I've never been one to lament the passing of celebrities or artists. I didn't know them, and they didn't know me. Life goes on. The only reciprocal relationship I've ever had with any 'star' is the transactional one. I didn't personally know Alexi Laiho. I've never seen Children of Bodom live. Hell, I've never even had the opportunity to see them. But you know what made Bodom, and particularly Alexi, special? I always felt like I knew him. Bodom felt close, and yes, I do mean that in a physical sense. Thus Alexi's passing is different and hits a little closer to home.

Children of Bodom was my gateway, as I'm sure is the case for many, into the world of extreme metal and for many of us around the world, European metal as well. I joined the Bodom fray in 2003, shortly after Hate Crew Deathroll came out. Since I could not afford that atrociously titled album, I settled for a used copy of Follow the Reaper. It was the game-changer that anyone still reading this can relate to, or at least understand. As Youtuber Bradley Hall accurately put it, "he was sort of like the Van Halen of our generation." Musically, Children of Bodom was Alexi's vessel, but always a band. A showcase of his virtuosic skill, of course, but most importantly, Bodom was consistently a great time.

Children of Bodom knew how to connect with their fans. All those making-of documentaries, binge drinking across Helsinki, and behind the scenes videos momentarily made us feel like we were part of the band. Rockstar escapism for those of us who never have, nor ever would, live that lifestyle. Alexi always encapsulated a happy go lucky approach to making heavy metal, which was an absolute breath of fresh air in a genre of music that takes itself far too seriously. Even amid their rather impressive decline, I could always respect that they had the best of time doing what they loved.

Aside from all the great music the first four and/or five albums gave the world, the most valuable lesson Alexi taught a young me was the value of enjoying what you do. Alexi is the reason I've always wanted to start a band, not to party my way across the globe, but to enjoy the camaraderie - the finest that life has to offer. Alexi had barely ten years on me. A reminder that something as simple as enjoying your life is now more important than ever. Thank you for the music, the memories, and the indirect support through those more challenging times.

It is time to get out my towel, don my battle best, and rage some Bodom. This overpriced beer is for you, Alexi.

Cheers
----
www.thunderousvoices.com
05.01.2021 - 08:12
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

This is fucking devastating. Alexi is the reason I got into extreme metal to begin with. And this happens right after "Hexed," which IMO was one of Bodom's top 3 albums of all time. This really sucks. Nobody will ever be able to replicate Alexi's sound... many try, but nobody can.

PS - Really hope we still get the Bodom After Midnight album.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
05.01.2021 - 09:08
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
(Puts on the 3 Sinergy albums)
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.01.2021 - 11:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
A damn shame, he was a fantastic guitarist and songwriter, also is it just me or is he the one on the Metal Storm logo? skinny long-haired dude, RR V style guitar?
05.01.2021 - 11:55
nikarg

Written by Valentin B on 05.01.2021 at 11:13

A damn shame, he was a fantastic guitarist and songwriter, also is it just me or is he the one on the Metal Storm logo? skinny long-haired dude, RR V style guitar?

It's debatable.
05.01.2021 - 13:52
Nokturhn

So sorry to hear that.
Damn, he was too young.
06.01.2021 - 12:38
Litvin

It rather cancer or chinese virus, what else?

R.I.P Alexi
06.01.2021 - 14:12
Metal Rasputin

Written by Litvin on 06.01.2021 at 12:38

It rather cancer or chinese virus, what else?

R.I.P Alexi

From what I've read, probably sudden case of severe gallstone pancreatitis. If I remember correctly they had to cancel some shows few years back because of his extreme stomach pains caused by some of this stuff, the man was hospitalized for days back then.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
06.01.2021 - 18:47
theFIST

At just 41 he had managed to end his main project on a high note, make times of millions of people more enjoyable with what he created and can be remembered as someone whose life to take inspiration from.
Thank you for having lived Alexi
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
06.01.2021 - 19:19
Captain Laika

Written by Dungeon Shaker on 05.01.2021 at 05:39

Tonight, somewhere in suburban Chicago, I've paused everything to reflect on the passing of Alexi Laiho. This may sound a little bit melodramatic, and I suppose it is, but a part of my youth is now lost to all but a memory. I don't mean that in the George Lucas fucking up the trilogy with lame postscript CGI kind of way. No, I mean it in the I just lost an old, out of touch friend kind of way. You know, that kid from down the street you used to rage with but, for no particular reason, just went your separate ways.

I've never been one to lament the passing of celebrities or artists. I didn't know them, and they didn't know me. Life goes on. The only reciprocal relationship I've ever had with any 'star' is the transactional one. I didn't personally know Alexi Laiho. I've never seen Children of Bodom live. Hell, I've never even had the opportunity to see them. But you know what made Bodom, and particularly Alexi, special? I always felt like I knew him. Bodom felt close, and yes, I do mean that in a physical sense. Thus Alexi's passing is different and hits a little closer to home.

Children of Bodom was my gateway, as I'm sure is the case for many, into the world of extreme metal and for many of us around the world, European metal as well. I joined the Bodom fray in 2003, shortly after Hate Crew Deathroll came out. Since I could not afford that atrociously titled album, I settled for a used copy of Follow the Reaper. It was the game-changer that anyone still reading this can relate to, or at least understand. As Youtuber Bradley Hall accurately put it, "he was sort of like the Van Halen of our generation." Musically, Children of Bodom was Alexi's vessel, but always a band. A showcase of his virtuosic skill, of course, but most importantly, Bodom was consistently a great time.

Children of Bodom knew how to connect with their fans. All those making-of documentaries, binge drinking across Helsinki, and behind the scenes videos momentarily made us feel like we were part of the band. Rockstar escapism for those of us who never have, nor ever would, live that lifestyle. Alexi always encapsulated a happy go lucky approach to making heavy metal, which was an absolute breath of fresh air in a genre of music that takes itself far too seriously. Even amid their rather impressive decline, I could always respect that they had the best of time doing what they loved.

Aside from all the great music the first four and/or five albums gave the world, the most valuable lesson Alexi taught a young me was the value of enjoying what you do. Alexi is the reason I've always wanted to start a band, not to party my way across the globe, but to enjoy the camaraderie - the finest that life has to offer. Alexi had barely ten years on me. A reminder that something as simple as enjoying your life is now more important than ever. Thank you for the music, the memories, and the indirect support through those more challenging times.

It is time to get out my towel, don my battle best, and rage some Bodom. This overpriced beer is for you, Alexi.

Cheers

This is not only very well put, I also relate to practically everything you said.
08.01.2021 - 23:02
Hooman

I still remember when I was 15 and for the first time heard "Are You Dead Yet". It's not a high rate album on MS, but at that time, I felt so alive and rebel.
May he rest in peace.
09.01.2021 - 01:53
s(AINT)

I was shocked by the news because, as sad as it was to see Children Of Bodom disband, I was happy knowing that Alexi got Bodom After Midnight together and they were in the recording studio as recently as December.

I've always really liked their music and funnily enough, knew about Norther and was really into them before even hearing of Bodom, so when I finally discovered them, it was a breadth of fresh air and love at first listen. Even though COB never springs to mind when thinking about my favourite bands, and I listen to a lot of different bands across a range of subgenres and spend more than a thousand hours/year on spotify, being curious I had a look at my lifetime spotify statistics and COB came up as my 12th most listened artist which I think can be considered as one of the most favourite bands, I guess, especially seeing bands which do spring to mind, far down below on that list.

Unfortunately, I managed to see them live only once, at Bloodstock in 2019 (full set can be found on the festival's channel) and I remember being very excited particularly about them. Needless to say, it was a fantastic set and I loved it and couldn't wait to see them again.. Sadly, a couple of months later they announced their disbandment. Speaking of COB's final album, Hexed, I was stoked for its release based on the singles and when it came out, it hit me like a ton of bricks - the album is just that good, probably the best out of the last 5 or maybe even 6 albums.

I feel like I'm in the same boat with many others, whose comments I've seen, that neither COB nor Alexi seem to always be relevant in my life, but having paused and thought about it, they always have been, which is why this news hit me really hard.. The metal community lost a legend, may he rest in riffs and power.. \m/
10.01.2021 - 00:46
wildchild
Warchild
My heart is so in pain. I was at vacation when I received the news. this website icon. my nickname.

just part of my life that is no more.

----
warchildpost.blogspot.com
22.01.2021 - 11:43
Vikcen
Metálico
So sad (at the same age as me) Your legacy will be forever!

Era un puto genio...
11.05.2022 - 13:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.11.2022 - 00:44
MetalstormBANatm

Rest In Peace, man, one of greatest guitarist of all time.

Hits total: 8226 | This month: 17