Metal Storm logo
Children Of Bodom - Alexi Laiho Passed Away At The Age Of 41

Official statement from Children Of Bodom's Henkka, Janne and Jaska:

"One of the most renowned guitarists in the world, Alexi Laiho, has passed away. The musician, most notably known as the front man of Children of Bodom, died in his home in Helsinki, Finland, last week. Laiho had suffered from long-term health issues during his last years."

"More than 25 years of friendship. We lost a brother. The world lost a phenomenal song writer and one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Memories and Alexi's music will live forever. Our thoughts are with Alexi's family during this difficult time."

Furthermore, his Bodom After Midnight bandmates have shared the following massage: "It is with heavy hearts and great sadness that we have to announce the passing of Alexi Laiho. We are absolutely devastated and heartbroken for the sudden loss of our dear friend and band member. Our journey together as a band had only just begun so there's no words to describe the shock and the bottomless grief that all of us feel.

"May your soul rest in peace, you will be eternally missed. We love you brother.

"Our deepest condolences go to his family. No further announcements nor interviews will be given at this time. We kindly ask to respect our need to process and go through this terrible situation in privacy. Thank you for your understanding and support."

Source: cobhc.com
Band profile: Children Of Bodom
Posted: 04.01.2021 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 77   Visited by: 565 users
04.01.2021 - 13:40
ScottyM

God damn.
04.01.2021 - 13:44
corrupt
With a lowercase c
What. the. fuck. man.
----
04.01.2021 - 13:46
Charlotbk

2021 starts fucking badly
04.01.2021 - 13:47
MyNameJeff

RIP Alexi
04.01.2021 - 13:47
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
You inspired me in a lot of different ways both as an artist and a person. He must had gone through a lot in recent years with the legal differences, relationships, and amount of physical effort used to sustain the music that he did that I'm grateful to have seen the Something Wild anniversary tour. He helped me appreciate harpsichords and Dissection!

Of course, there's the drinking historically speaking. But I wonder how much it had increased during the Finnish purely European turned American mainstream from HCDR's breakthrough on top of whatever personal conformities/ stress involved.

Shit. Another musician I met and conversed same time last year with Sean Reinert. Said to him he was like Chuck as a musician and he liked that. From briefly talking about health and CoB's (then unique to me) use of clever audio samples I think I helped inspire him to use Natural Born Killers (on Halo Of Blood) in a sample just before I grew out of them as we talked about that film.

Thank you for sharing what time you had with me. Time to return to Lake Bodom my friend, rest in chaos.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

04.01.2021 - 13:52
FeskarN

What?! This is comes as a shock. He will be missed. One of my biggest guitar hero's. RIP Alexi
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
04.01.2021 - 13:56
Bizzaremifo

Terrible news .. we lost one of the best musician. RIP bro
04.01.2021 - 13:58
Hyamendacil1450

So freaking young. I never really liked his music, but seeing people dying at such a young age is so demoralizing. RIP.
04.01.2021 - 13:58
HyperDrifter

RIP Alexi, what a bad way for the year to start! 41 is way too young...
04.01.2021 - 14:02
Darkside Momo
Retired
Wow 2021 is already starting on a bad roll... RIP Alexi
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.01.2021 - 14:09
EloZ

Great musician, great man. I have all your albums, from the beginning to the end. Children of Bodom will last forever, as your immortal soul. See you on the other side.
04.01.2021 - 14:09
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
No matter what, he was sure as hell a truly gifted musician.

RIP, Alexi.
04.01.2021 - 14:16
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Wow, holy crap. one thing to see guys like RJD or Lemmy, adults when I was BitterCYoung pass away... this is shocking and very sad.

He'll live forever with his work and, well, our logo.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.01.2021 - 14:19
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Grim start to the year. Haven't posted here in a long time, but this one is such a shock. RIP.
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
04.01.2021 - 14:22
Blindhate

Fuuuuuuck
2021 starts to killing
04.01.2021 - 14:46
s(AINT)

RIP to the one of the true guitar masters, can't believe that he is gone The one and only time i was lucky to see Children Of Bodom was at Bloodstock 2019 and it was an epic performance. His legacy will live on!
04.01.2021 - 14:50
Stormm

He was one of the reasons I started to play guitar. His neoclassical style and guitar equilibristics were inspiring and iconic. But his lifestyle was definitely utter destructive. Too much smoking, too much drinking and was also known that he was eating only sporadic. Another shitty year is coming...

It's almost symbolic for me. Seconds before I read this message I put on myself T-shirt Children of Bodom, Something Wild.
04.01.2021 - 15:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Wow that's unfortunate. Definitely one of my introductory metal bands. Rip.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.01.2021 - 15:18
Taravilyaion

Incredibly sad about this news.
I've hoped for a European tour from Bodom After Midnight this year, and a new record.
Hopefully something of that record will be released soon, because they've been working on it for a while.
It feels like a part of my childhood has passed away.
----
"The best violence against one is the violence no one ever forgets.."
04.01.2021 - 15:23
zeromus44

Great way to start the year... Such a terrible loss. He was an amazing guitar player and I was really looking forward his new band.

This 2021 will be even worse than 2020.

May he rest in peace
04.01.2021 - 15:43
Spacerunner

My beloved guitarist and composer((( "Follow the Reaper" was the turning point of my musical journey. I'm in tears.
04.01.2021 - 15:56
KaninStryparn

Makes me really sad, he still had it in him to make great music
----
Heavy Metal is the law that keeps us all united free
A law that shatters earth and hell
04.01.2021 - 15:58
BlankFile

Shit...

He was a really tallented and gifted musician. May he rest in peace.
04.01.2021 - 16:01
SageBlackMetal

When I was growing up, I hated any metal with "screaming" vocals. I just didn't get it. Then I heard Children of Bodom and six months later I was doing screams for a band and am still doing them today. This really sucks.
----
Check out my one-man, atmospheric black metal project below. Free Downloads:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdEEl0_hWvGgCtmuwfZjUmA?view_as=subscriber
https://www.instagram.com/sageblackmetal/
http://sageblackmetal.bandcamp.com/
04.01.2021 - 16:17
qlacs
"The Quaker"
This hit as hard as anything in the last year. The early CoB was so inspirational and formative for me at a young age - it set a bar for how fun extreme music can be, how melodic runs can be infused with energy and that growls and screams are not to be afraid of. Alexi was the total front and face of it. Even just recently we saw the news of a new record coming up with his post-CoB band. Although for nearly 2 decades his output was of varying quality, he still was a sort of a hero for many I know (including myself). Rest in Peace, man.
----
04.01.2021 - 16:23
Asat0r

RIP Alexi. I remember the first time I heard them, I was in high school and the song "Triple Corpse Hammer Blow" melted my brain. They've been one of my absolute favorite bands ever since.
04.01.2021 - 16:24
Maco
Pvt Funderground
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
04.01.2021 - 16:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darkside Momo on 04.01.2021 at 14:02

Wow 2021 is already starting on a bad roll... RIP Alexi

Well they said he died last week, so its hope thay ir was last year.
Rip
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.01.2021 - 16:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Rip Alexi
I though he has good health, but then we commented his pic in BaM picture. He was like weird. Maybe ilness. Did he tock drugs, why ge died. Teenage Girls idol.
Silent night bodom night
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.01.2021 - 16:34
Necrodamus

Just gutting man. Children of Bodom was my first extreme metal band. Follow the Reaper is one of the greatest albums of all time. I feel very lucky to have been able to see them live prior to his passing. Rest in Power, brother.

Hits total: 8208 | This month: 27