Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Marko Hietala Leaves The Band

Nightwish bassist Marko Hietala announces his resignation from the band, after his lifelong commitment as their bassist and second vocalist. His reasons on this decision is explained in official statement, which can be read down under.

Full statement from Marko Hietala: "Dear people. I am leaving Nightwish and my public life. For a quite a few years now I haven't been able to feel validated by this life. We have streaming company big guns demanding 9/5 work from artists of inspiration while unfairly sharing the profits. Even among the artists. We're the banana republic of the music industry. Biggest tour promoters squeeze percentages even from our own merchandise while paying dividends to Middle East. Apparently some theocrasies can take the money from the music that would get you beheaded or jailed there without appearing as hypocrites. Just a couple of examples here.

"This past year forced me to stay home and think. And I found myself very disillusioned about these and a lot of things. I found out that I am in need of that validation. For me to write, sing and play, I need to find some new reasons and inspirations. "My Walden" so to speak. And it's even in my book that I'm a chronic depressive. It's dangerous for me and the people around me, if I continue. Some of the thoughts a while back were dark. Don't worry, I'm fine. I have my two sons, a wife, the rest of the family, friends, a dog and lots of love.
And I don't think that I'll be gone for good.

"Conspiracy is the word of the day. For the people who like them I need to say that my 55th birthday is now on 14th of Jan and I've certainly done my time for now. Blaming for instance Tuomas is an insult to both him and my free thinking. This is a very sad thing to all of us too. Have a care please.

"But of course now we'll know, if some go there on purpose.

"There are a couple of things agreed on that I will do on 2021. Otherwise I kindly and with respect ask the media, bands, artists projects etc. to not ask me for anything within the next year. I have some reinventing to do. I hope to tell you about it on 2022. It's not a promise though."

P.S. Tony Iommi is an exception to the "no contact whatsoever". Childhood hero takes a precedence.

The band commented: "Marko's resignation has left us with some difficult decisions and choices to be made. After much thought and consideration, we have, in mutual understanding, decided to perform the upcoming Human. :II: Nature. -world tour' as planned, but with a session bass player.

"The live line-up will be announced at a later date.We respect Marko's decision and wish him all the very best. We will not comment any further."

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 12.01.2021 by Fallen Ghost

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 42   Visited by: 436 users
14.01.2021 - 18:53
Hyamendacil1450

Written by Metren on 14.01.2021 at 18:49

Written by Hyamendacil1450 on 14.01.2021 at 18:41

Agree on this too. His solo album is pretty good. But the moment he blends that with the NW sound, it just fails to deliver. Sounds boring and uninspired.

Totally uninspired indeed. More than that though, it just sounds lazy AF. Songs like "Elan" and "Noise" are songs that most professional musicians could write in their sleep.

Or those long ass ones where the interludes or ambient occupies almost half the song.
14.01.2021 - 18:58
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Hyamendacil1450 on 14.01.2021 at 18:53

Or those long ass ones where the interludes or ambient occupies almost half the song.

Yep. I am not impressed with those either. The last "long ass" Nightwish song that I liked and still like was "Ghost Love Score". Every long track Tuomas has written after that one has been a bloated, self-indulgent snorefest.

EDIT: Marko's parts in The Poet And The Pendulum were pretty bad-ass though. So yeah, more points to the man no longer with the band.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
14.01.2021 - 19:58
Aries Rising

I'm starting to think Tuomas might be a douchebag. And I would not be surprised if Emppu leaves next.
14.01.2021 - 23:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Aries Rising on 14.01.2021 at 19:58

I'm starting to think Tuomas might be a douchebag. And I would not be surprised if Emppu leaves next.

If he leaves Floor might do it as well and form new band, metal band. Who owns rights to band name?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.01.2021 - 01:48
Litvin

Written by Bad English on 14.01.2021 at 23:25

If he leaves Floor might do it as well and form new band, metal band. Who owns rights to band name?

Tarja
17.01.2021 - 06:14
Aries Rising

I should probably clarify my statement a bit. Every time someone has left Nightwish they've put out an emotional and sincere explanation/goodbye to the fans. And every single time, you get a clinical, cold response put out by the band. We all know it's Tuomas' band and he most likely has final say on the press releases so it just makes him look bad IMO.
18.01.2021 - 16:21
Elisyon

Guess we'll be seeing Poet and the Pendulum part II coming soon
19.01.2021 - 09:51
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Maybe he'll be on the next Delain album?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
24.01.2021 - 02:23
skelator

Written by Ansercanagicus on 13.01.2021 at 00:05

Written by skelator on 12.01.2021 at 22:56

Tarot, its not good either and never was. Go and create in different projects.

Never was??? The Spell Of Iron is downrightly one of the best heavy metal album ever

Nonsense. You talking about that bad produced mix of heavy and glam with poppish voice?
----
Best Metal Albums of 2023: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jaZJRBeBw

Best Metal Demos: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HtsgSQjV44
24.01.2021 - 19:43
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by skelator on 24.01.2021 at 02:23

Nonsense. You talking about that bad produced mix of heavy and glam with poppish voice?

yes, I'm talking about this album with solid songwriting for its whole length, great singing, nice heavy riffs and amazing drumming parts

what you call badly produced I just call oldschool (could be better indeed). As for the rest of Tarot's discography it is pretty lame, if you want to bring me there.
----
12.08.2022 - 13:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.06.2023 - 17:19
This is an interesting story, thanks so much for sharing. Besides I have to remark that you should fight with it, because I also read about Wolden, this story I found very interesting, by the way I read here https://paperap.com/free-papers/walden/ and now I saw the common features between you and him, it really amazed me, I hope you will recover soon, good luck, I look forward to new information from you.

Hits total: 5188 | This month: 17