Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Marko Hietala Leaves The Band

Nightwish bassist Marko Hietala announces his resignation from the band, after his lifelong commitment as their bassist and second vocalist. His reasons on this decision is explained in official statement, which can be read down under.

Full statement from Marko Hietala: "Dear people. I am leaving Nightwish and my public life. For a quite a few years now I haven't been able to feel validated by this life. We have streaming company big guns demanding 9/5 work from artists of inspiration while unfairly sharing the profits. Even among the artists. We're the banana republic of the music industry. Biggest tour promoters squeeze percentages even from our own merchandise while paying dividends to Middle East. Apparently some theocrasies can take the money from the music that would get you beheaded or jailed there without appearing as hypocrites. Just a couple of examples here.

"This past year forced me to stay home and think. And I found myself very disillusioned about these and a lot of things. I found out that I am in need of that validation. For me to write, sing and play, I need to find some new reasons and inspirations. "My Walden" so to speak. And it's even in my book that I'm a chronic depressive. It's dangerous for me and the people around me, if I continue. Some of the thoughts a while back were dark. Don't worry, I'm fine. I have my two sons, a wife, the rest of the family, friends, a dog and lots of love.
And I don't think that I'll be gone for good.

"Conspiracy is the word of the day. For the people who like them I need to say that my 55th birthday is now on 14th of Jan and I've certainly done my time for now. Blaming for instance Tuomas is an insult to both him and my free thinking. This is a very sad thing to all of us too. Have a care please.

"But of course now we'll know, if some go there on purpose.

"There are a couple of things agreed on that I will do on 2021. Otherwise I kindly and with respect ask the media, bands, artists projects etc. to not ask me for anything within the next year. I have some reinventing to do. I hope to tell you about it on 2022. It's not a promise though."

P.S. Tony Iommi is an exception to the "no contact whatsoever". Childhood hero takes a precedence.

The band commented: "Marko's resignation has left us with some difficult decisions and choices to be made. After much thought and consideration, we have, in mutual understanding, decided to perform the upcoming Human. :II: Nature. -world tour' as planned, but with a session bass player.

"The live line-up will be announced at a later date.We respect Marko's decision and wish him all the very best. We will not comment any further."

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 12.01.2021 by Fallen Ghost

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 42   Visited by: 436 users
12.01.2021 - 13:42
CWA

You will be deeply missed Marko. Enjoy the rest of of your life and thank you for your contributions.
12.01.2021 - 13:45
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Sad news to wake up to. He will be missed. Wish him all the best.
12.01.2021 - 14:21
HyperDrifter

Woah, now I have even less in interest in Nightwish now... though I'm all for it if it means Marko's mental health improves as a result.
I really ilke Marko's voice, it gave a good contrast and often aggression to the Nightwish sound, so it was a big shame they did not use him more in the last two Nightwish albums.
12.01.2021 - 14:25
Metren
Dreadrealm
A huge loss for the band and the fans, I am sure. Ever since Marko joined, he was the best thing about Nightwish; great vocalist, and the only member of the band that could write a good ballad. I wish him all the best, him and his beard.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
12.01.2021 - 14:50
Spacerunner

He was the only Nightwish member replacement that all or near all fans had accepted. Sad day indeed.
12.01.2021 - 15:04
SageBlackMetal

Nightwish was THE band that got me into metal when I was 14 years old. When I heard Century Child (the first full studio album that Marko was on) I knew that I had a musical direction for the rest of my life. This is sad, but I understand. Honestly, Human. :II: Nature was the first Nightwish album I didn't purchase because it just didn't too it for me. Way too theatrical. Therefore, I wasn't expecting much musically from the band in the future. This, however, dashes any remaining hopes for music worth listening to in the future. I wish him the best. Depression is no joke.

On strictly a musical sense, there are SO many songs that Marko's vocals were the driving force behind. When Tarja left, and they went with Anette, they didn't even bother to try and find a replacement with the same style. I have a feeling they do the same with Marco here.
----
Check out my one-man, atmospheric black metal project below. Free Downloads:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdEEl0_hWvGgCtmuwfZjUmA?view_as=subscriber
https://www.instagram.com/sageblackmetal/
http://sageblackmetal.bandcamp.com/
12.01.2021 - 15:20
Dronewolf12
Account deleted
Written by Irritable Ted on 12.01.2021 at 14:07

Doesn't sound as though he is in a good place.

I can understand that the normal touring schedule for a band the size of Nightwish must be a massive strain. Burn out is likely when you are exhausted and away from family.

Even though the internet has opened doors for the discovery of bands, it has cut their income as people buy and listen in such a different way now. Record companies are going to squeeze as much as they can. If you aren't making money for your efforts then it must be frustrating.

Naming tuomas and trying to move blame from him makes me think more will come out from this over time. No smoke without fire and all that. Why name him at all?

The band reply seems very cold and clinical, no emotion whatsoever. Probably written by lawyers not the band. Probably punishment for appearing on stage with Tarja. There's my conspiracy theory.

Or.....he thought the new album was shit as well.

I always had the impression that Tuomas is hard to work with as it's HIS band.
12.01.2021 - 16:07
Hyamendacil1450

Written by SageBlackMetal on 12.01.2021 at 15:04

Nightwish was THE band that got me into metal when I was 14 years old. When I heard Century Child (the first full studio album that Marko was on) I knew that I had a musical direction for the rest of my life. This is sad, but I understand. Honestly, Human. :II: Nature was the first Nightwish album I didn't purchase because it just didn't too it for me. Way too theatrical. Therefore, I wasn't expecting much musically from the band in the future. This, however, dashes any remaining hopes for music worth listening to in the future. I wish him the best. Depression is no joke.

On strictly a musical sense, there are SO many songs that Marko's vocals were the driving force behind. When Tarja left, and they went with Anette, they didn't even bother to try and find a replacement with the same style. I have a feeling they do the same with Marco here.

I got into metal thanks to them as well. With Oceanborn though, my first metal album. I remember the days when Marko joined them. The previous guy, although a full member, felt more like a session musician rather than an integral part of the band. Still, the best 2 NW albums were made with him in the band.

Unlike most fans though, I did not bitch and moan when Anette replaced Tarja. The move was sort of predictable give that tensions ran high months before the split and that the band was steadily moving towards a more commercial, less metallic sound. They wanted a gal that could do the operatic stuff decently, but also sing pop stuff. Tarja wouldn't have been a good pick for the pop stuff. Most of her solo stuff, which are clearly more rock/pop sounds awful.
12.01.2021 - 16:13
SageBlackMetal

For sure, man. I know I'm not alone when I say Nightwish had a huge impact on my musical life.

I agree with what you said about Anette. I didn't care as much either. However, Marko has a unique voice, and I doubt they will have Troy take over all his parts. Based on history, I feel like they would go with someone completely different than Marco's style. Tuomas has always pushed himself musically. I bet this is another opportunity for him to write for a voice different than Marko's.
----
Check out my one-man, atmospheric black metal project below. Free Downloads:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdEEl0_hWvGgCtmuwfZjUmA?view_as=subscriber
https://www.instagram.com/sageblackmetal/
http://sageblackmetal.bandcamp.com/
12.01.2021 - 16:37
ANGEL REAPER

And so the methamorphosis of Nightwish to pop band was completed- a journey some 18 years in the making.

Anyway, this is a bit angry resignation which makes me think that there might be more to this story.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.01.2021 - 17:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Another major news in this week. I dont know what to say, to me its big weird news. What to say, Yes music indusry suck bands empthy, but Why we need play in middle East. This is big band maybe farewell tour whit original bass player in 25 towns in Finland whit beggining and and in Kitee.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.01.2021 - 18:52
Metal Rasputin

I was expecting something like this would happen. After the streaming companies took over the music business the bands have had to invest more time and energy on touring and selling merchandise to be able to exist moneywise, but after the flu hit they haven't been able to make a dime and the future is still uncertain. I'm pretty sure there will be many more musicians stepping down and bands breaking in the near future, since the state of the music industry is so hopeless.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
12.01.2021 - 19:32
Oracles

Obviously you can tell in his statement he didn't have the passion for it anymore and if you don't why keep continuing what you're doing? Good luck to him for his journey beyond music, but this isn't really surprising since Nightwish is a pretty old band now and they've been fortunate to not have many line up changes except in the singer department.
12.01.2021 - 21:45
BCI

I was never a Nightwish fan. I did like some tracks though and Marko was in all of them. Like others have mentioned, I'm a little uncomfortable with how all this played out though. The band's comment doesn't match the spirit of the Marko's statement. That's why I think these things don't need to be made public.
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...
12.01.2021 - 22:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Marko and Tuomos were obviously left inconsolable after being led astray by Floor, who seduced the men into a threesome, after which they awoke the next morning in a stupor, having discovered their deep-rooted love for her and each other. This emotionally crippling polygamous divide ultimately caused so much tension and strain that recording together became an unfathomable thought, as all involved felt shackled with guilt and shame over their actions. These negative emotions could only be repressed for so long, until it came to light that secret alliances formed out of jealousy and fear of losing power. A whirlwind of threats to go public swirled into the Bermuda love triangle of what is now known as Nightwish, an eddy of self-loathing and destructive tendencies. The burden of that fateful night finally strangled the inner voice that once fought so valiantly to convince Marko that all would be well, and his departure from the band to follow was merely a foregone conclusion, the vicious and tumultuous experiences of his past laid to rest among the shallow graves of former Nightwish victims, while Tuomas sips on his over-filled glass of red wine, smirking to himself as the portrait of Tarja hanging over his living room fireplace looks on in bitter judgment.

He said we should make our own conspiracies, right?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.01.2021 - 22:46
dammage11

I really missed him on the last couple albums. Maybe it's the straying away from the metal that drove him off. Sad to see him underutilized.
Also at 55 with a wife and kids, I'm guessing you'd want to spend a lot more time at home being with them than world touring
12.01.2021 - 22:56
skelator

Written by CWA on 12.01.2021 at 13:42

You will be deeply missed Marko. Enjoy the rest of of your life and thank you for your contributions.

No you wont be missed, its good you left, whatever your reasons are.
This band from "Century Child" era never recorded good album with you and your vocals - and to be honest your band, Tarot, its not good either and never was. Go and create in different projects.
----
Best Metal Albums of 2023: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jaZJRBeBw

Best Metal Demos: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HtsgSQjV44
12.01.2021 - 23:16
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.01.2021 at 22:14

Marko and Tuomos were obviously left inconsolable after being led astray by Floor, who seduced the men into a threesome, after which they awoke the next morning in a stupor, having discovered their deep-rooted love for her and each other...

^Troy, trying to get us all hot and bothered.

Can't say it didn't work.
13.01.2021 - 00:05
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by skelator on 12.01.2021 at 22:56

Tarot, its not good either and never was. Go and create in different projects.

Never was??? The Spell Of Iron is downrightly one of the best heavy metal album ever
----
13.01.2021 - 01:10
metalwolf

Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.01.2021 at 22:14

Marko and Tuomos were obviously left inconsolable after being led astray by Floor, who seduced the men into a threesome, after which they awoke the next morning in a stupor, having discovered their deep-rooted love for her and each other...

Sounds like a script for an Asylum movie or the lyrics of an Avril Lavigne song...
----
----------------------------------------------------------
Cthulhu for President! Why settle for the lesser evil?
13.01.2021 - 02:31
Netzach
Planewalker
Incredibly sad news. He has been a role model, and the template for a musician, and is synonymous to the word "musician" to me. I was not personally affected when their drummer left due to insomnia (despite high relatability), or by any artist who recently died, or any band that recently split up. Not in the same way as this.

Nightwish was the band that got me into music when I was 12 years old. I had no real friends, was completely detached from family and relatives, and nobody to trust, confide in, or identify with at that age. I found that in this band, and especially in Marko. In his humble demeanour, ability to laugh at life, his lyrics about science, fantasy, love, and insanity (more so in Tarot than Nightwish, though he wrote many of Nightwish's best songs too).

He has been an inspiration to me in more ways than my own musicianship and writing. I can imagine the business side sucking all joy out of artistry, but mostly it seems it was the public life rather than the artist life that got to him. I hope he returns to making art somehow, but most of all I wish him well.
13.01.2021 - 09:29
The Melting Snow

Written by Irritable Ted on 12.01.2021 at 14:07

Or.....he thought the new album was shit as well.

it's probably that. The amount of guest appearances Marko was doing lately might be an indicator. His contributions there were much more profound than those in Nightwish lately... and then he also went and made a solo album. I don't think he would've been doing all of that if he was satisfied with what was going on in Nightwish.

To me, the inclusion of Troy was what completed Nightwish's slow downfall and I'm sure that was a factor in Marko's decision too. Marko's metal vocals were replaced by Troy's Disney pop stuff and then Nightwish released their worst album to-date.

Emppu is already probably the most dormant guitarist a "power" metal band has ever had. for the first 10-12 years he was awesome, for the next he has been silenced completely. Tuomas is the other original member left, but he's probably watching Frozen right now and humming "Let it Go".

Replacements to Tarja, Jukka came. But time revealed how overrated Floor was, and how even a guy as skilled as Kai can go unnoticed if the band chooses to make pop music.
13.01.2021 - 09:30
The Melting Snow

To date, The End of an Era is my favorite memory of Nightwish. The peak. Right before the descent began, and it had everything I loved about Nightwish. Then the pieces fell apart one after the other.
13.01.2021 - 12:07
Duck Dodgers

He probably listened to the last Nightwish album and lost his will to play music. )
13.01.2021 - 14:46
Obsidiann6

Last album was definitely pretty weak. Although I liked the last song which was kinda doomy and had lots of Marko vocals in it. Sad to see him leave, I hope he gets better and finds some other project or band where he can be active and enjoy.
13.01.2021 - 21:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Troy is cool, now he needs write another story about that guy K7.
He funasually wont stuffer, he has cash. Maybe Tarot comes back, maybe he and brother does something. He will focus on Finland as main theritoy.
His solo album is much better as last NW
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.01.2021 - 09:57
Hyamendacil1450

Written by The Melting Snow on 13.01.2021 at 09:29

it's probably that. The amount of guest appearances Marko was doing lately might be an indicator. His contributions there were much more profound than those in Nightwish lately... and then he also went and made a solo album. I don't think he would've been doing all of that if he was satisfied with what was going on in Nightwish.

To me, the inclusion of Troy was what completed Nightwish's slow downfall and I'm sure that was a factor in Marko's decision too. Marko's metal vocals were replaced by Troy's Disney pop stuff and then Nightwish released their worst album to-date.

Emppu is already probably the most dormant guitarist a "power" metal band has ever had. for the first 10-12 years he was awesome, for the next he has been silenced completely. Tuomas is the other original member left, but he's probably watching Frozen right now and humming "Let it Go".

Replacements to Tarja, Jukka came. But time revealed how overrated Floor was, and how even a guy as skilled as Kai can go unnoticed if the band chooses to make pop music.

The things is that Floor is not overrated. Her capabilities as a vocalist exceed both Tarja and Anette easily. She can do both and even more. The problem is that she joined Nightwish at a time when the mastermind behind it wanted the band to sound more as one that records music for movie soundtracks. Therefore, her vocal capabilities are underused. And even when they are used, the music falls flat. Because that is how most movie soundtracks are. Unimpressive.

The last 2 albums were painfully average. The last one was their worst and most boring. A clear emphasis on a theme rather than the music itself. Troy has no credit in the downward spiral Nightwish has been going through. As a session musician on DPP and Imaginaerum, he added new, fresh stuff that worked. But here it is not him that devolved the music, but Tuomas's questionable decisions to go to an even more softer sound. He tamed the music even further to be even more accessible. He wants to make out of NW a slightly heavier rendition of his solo album basically.

Emppu is to blame for him being sidelined. He allowed this to happen. Back in the band's hey day, he had a saying in the songwriting process as well as the band's direction, often clashing with Tuomas's views almost to the point that the band fell apart after releasing Oceanborn. I guess that it became more comfortable for him to be a follower, rather than a leader. In addition, Tuomas's decision, while detrimental to musical quality, were successful in terms of commercial success. So I wouldn't wonder if Tuomas and the management bought Emppu's silence with more $. After all, who can argue against success? Even more so, Emppu does not even give a hint that is unsatisfied with the band's direction. He hardly took any side jobs, side projects or side guesting on other band's songs. He plays in a hard rock band as a side project who makes sporadic releases, but that's it. Emppu doesn't have a songwriting credit since DPP which speaks volumes about his interest in the band other than being a live and studio recording musician.
14.01.2021 - 16:00
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Hyamendacil1450 on 14.01.2021 at 09:57

Insightful, wise words

Completely agreed on all points.

Also, I think Tuomas is now at his best when he doesn't even attempt to incorporate metal into his songwriting. The Scrooge album is about 5 times better than anything Tuomas has done with Nightwish for the last 15 years.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
14.01.2021 - 18:41
Hyamendacil1450

Written by Metren on 14.01.2021 at 16:00

Written by Hyamendacil1450 on 14.01.2021 at 09:57

Insightful, wise words

Completely agreed on all points.

Also, I think Tuomas is now at his best when he doesn't even attempt to incorporate metal into his songwriting. The Scrooge album is about 5 times better than anything Tuomas has done with Nightwish for the last 15 years.

Agree on this too. His solo album is pretty good. But the moment he blends that with the NW sound, it just fails to deliver. Sounds boring and uninspired.
14.01.2021 - 18:49
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Hyamendacil1450 on 14.01.2021 at 18:41

Agree on this too. His solo album is pretty good. But the moment he blends that with the NW sound, it just fails to deliver. Sounds boring and uninspired.

Totally uninspired indeed. More than that though, it just sounds lazy AF. Songs like "Elan" and "Noise" are songs that most professional musicians could write in their sleep.
----

Hits total: 5190 | This month: 19