06. The Rus
07. Kiew
08. Aifur
09. Taste Of Steel
10. God Of Thunder
11. Our Backs To The Wind
12. Miklagard
13. The Uprising

The second part of "History Of Vikings" story and let me tell you, this is a cracker of an album. When you hear a band so heavy and true you know that they will have fallen out of the seemingly copious nest of emerging German bands. Rebellion give us their taste of steel in the form of a very heavy style of power metal much in the same style of the Iced Earth of past years.

After an almost folkish style introduction track "Vi Seglar Mot Miklagard", we are lead into the meat of the album with "Sweden", a great stomping introduction to the main meat of the album but we are not at the best material yet. "On The Edge Of Life" is, besides the last track, the longest on the album and is by far one of the most epic as well. "Ulfberth" picks up the pace once more, a more frantic song about an Ulfberth sword, one of the supposed first all steel swords made. I could go along and name something good about each track but I will try and restrain, this does however confirm that this is a great album that has nearly everything you would want to hear in a heavy metal album.

We have songs to sing or chant along with like "Taste Of Steel" which is probably the best track on the album with thundering drums and great air punching material, faster songs for example "Aifur" and "Back To The Wind", epic songs as well as good thumping stompers of songs like "The Rus" and "Kiew", we also have a lovely memorable slower track, the title track "Miklagard" and of course also this a good history lesson in a way as the title suggests.

This is an all round fantastic album, it is produced very well to enhance the thundering drums, heavy guitars and the noble, gritty singing of Michael Seifert. It is of good, healthy length clocking in at just over an hour of grand material. The earlier Iced Earth material will always come to mind when you listen to this album, the band don't seem to make any drastic leaps towards any crazy new original ideas, but that is not so much of an issue if you like your heavy metal powerful, strong and to the point.

If the band carry on like this they may just, deservedly so, catch the attention of vast numbers of people and gain the allegiance of all the old school Iced Earth fans and just generally thumping heavy maniacs alike. With an album like this you can't ask for anything more than what we already have. It is that simple, if anything I have written caught your attention then you must listen to this album, you will love it.

Written on 28.07.2007 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 103 users
29.07.2007 - 05:00
Opium
Account deleted
It better be as good as you say it is, otherwise you're gonna hear about this one on chat, Baz

It did catch my attention, but the name made me expect a Viking/Folk Metal album, not a Heavy Metal one
09.08.2007 - 22:03
Rating: 9
Promonex
Cathemeral
Sounds like I'm ought to give them a try after all. They are from my area, but I've only seen them live once and the only song that caught my attention was their cover of Grave Digger's "Rebellion"; ever since I've regarded them as a poor man's Grave Digger. But if this album sounds like old Iced Earth I might give them another chance.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
09.08.2007 - 23:05
Rating: 6
Susan
Smeghead
Of course with an album name like that I had to read this review

I've gotta say Baz, you sold me! I am ordering this one today, if I can find it. Thank you sir!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
14.08.2007 - 19:57
YoreLore

I preferred part I to part II, but this is still a great album. Sweden is my favourite on this album
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
14.08.2007 - 22:45
Rating: 6
Susan
Smeghead
I was able to find it at The End Records and it arrived rather quickly. Wow, this IS a great album!! I was surprised how quickly it grabbed a hold of me The music is more aggressive at times than I had expected but it works so well. The lyrics are applied in a way that is slightly cheesier than I might like but whatever, can't complain really.

And a lovely female shredder, too! Nice surprise that was
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
15.08.2007 - 14:33
Baz Anderson

yeh, I am glad you liked the album!! I did intend on mentioning they had a female guitar player but I must have just forgotten. hahaha. oh well

mr Junglemanchild, I prefer part II to the first part, but then I didn't really give the first part as much attention as I did this one.. maybe I will go back and give it another listen but on first listen I definitely prefered this one
05.12.2007 - 22:55
Rating: 9
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by Promonex on 09.08.2007 at 22:03

Sounds like I'm ought to give them a try after all. They are from my area, but I've only seen them live once and the only song that caught my attention was their cover of Grave Digger's "Rebellion"; ever since I've regarded them as a poor man's Grave Digger. But if this album sounds like old Iced Earth I might give them another chance.

So I did give it a try by now and it sounds indeed like a Grave Digger ripoff, especially in the vocal department. Unlike GD they don't seem to have run out of ideas yet though. I might take a closer look at the band's other material, so far they look like a rather enjoyable alternative to Grave Digger who have turned quite stale after their brilliant middle age trilogy.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
15.11.2008 - 09:48
Metalbound7

Amazing band they are just like Amon Amarth but whit clear voices, i love them!
30.08.2018 - 05:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well why peoplöe says its power metal, its pure heavy metal, I like basically all, all here and well German HM bands has kicked Emglish HM band asses, because seems Maiden is one and only one.
Iced Earth well don't see any connmections, even IE is powerful band in the genre, and are heavy and great. But compare I dont know why and how you came up whit that.

Aifur ... I knew a dude once whitv such name, 900 years ago, wait a sec in Iceland today.
Sad that swedish parents dont give names as Rurik, Baldur, Aifur, Eidur , Gunhild, Astrid and so on, its dead, sad old names dies.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8331 | This month: 12