Metal Storm logo
My Top Metal Albums Of 2021

This time around I'm only including albums rating 78.2% or higher to ensure only quality albums by my standards. This year is the first time I'm including a small description for each album rated around 83.0% or higher. Some below get an exemption because well, I had something to say about it. It's also the first time I'm including release date, record company, type (full-length, if blank), and volume. My volume by default is at 46 so + and - indicate how low or high it deviates from that.

My 2021 Awards (thus far):

Best Vocalist: Musician: Cryptic Lust; Album: Morbid Winds - The Black Corridors Of The Abyssal Depths Of Existence Opened Their Gates
Best Guitarist(s): Musicians: Samuel Boodt & Dustin Ponkovilneus; Album: Dipygus - Bushmeat
Best Bassist: Musician: ?; Album: Caixão - Demo 2020
Best Drummer: Musician: Primeumathon; Album: Anael - Mare
Best Solo: Musician: Plague; Album: Kaal Akuma - In The Mouth Of Madness; Track #3: Master Of Metnal
Best Atmosphere: Emptiness - Vide
Most Creative:
Most Evil: Aberration - Aberration
Most Beautiful:
Most Heaviest: Divide And Dissolve - Gas Lit

I won't get mad if you copy me ;-)

Created by: quieted_darkness | 23.01.2021

1. Sol Kia - Zos Ethos
(95.8%) Experimental Atmospheric Black Metal, Drone Metal, Electronic/Industrial with Stoner/Doom Metal, Folk, Dark Ambient, Dark Jazz, Noise, and Glitch Influences - September 3rd - I, Voidhanger Records - Volume: +7 - Belgium - Feels like a vocal performance to superb instrumentation utilizing electronic and industrial arrangements. I passed on this album a few times but finally stuck with me when RaduP's review went up and I decided to give it one final chance.
2. Victory Over The Sun - Nowherer
(95.8%) Avant-Garde Black Metal, Sludge Metal with Post-Metal, Noise, Chamber Music, Spoken Word, and Nature Recordings Influences - April 23rd - Independent - Volume: -1 - United States (Portland, Oregon)
3. Peste Noire - Le Retour Des Pastoureaux
(95.0%) Black Metal, Folk, Psychedelic Rock with Punk, Bluegrass, Thrash Metal, Glitch, Chamber Music, and Nature Recordings Influences - September 1st/3rd - La Mesnie Herlequin - Volume: -1[Y] - France
4. Chaos Echœs - Ecstasy With The Nonexistents
(93.5%) Experimental Death Metal, Blackened Death Metal with Progressive/Technical Death Metal, Post-Metal, Dark Ambient, Occult/Psychedelic Black Metal, Death/Doom Metal, and Noise/Drone Influences - February 5th - [Full-length, Live] - Sentient Ruin Laboratories - Volume: 0 - France - Odd, math-like structured album with ominous atmosphere and riffs. I'd classify this album as strategically technical with progressive-oriented drumming. Solos are occultish as are the black metal riffs featured.
5. Dipygus - Bushmeat
(92.4%) Death/Doom Metal with Deathgrind, Electronic, and Field Recordings Influences - January 25th - Memento Mori - Volume: 0 - United States (Monterey Bay, California) - Disgusting and intoxicating death/doom with the aptitude to activate your gagging reflexes from a mile away with its atmospheric stench. Guitars have a majestic quality where at times one of them is tuned higher than the other creating a distinctive harmony.
6. Spire - Temple Of Khronos
(92.4%) Progressive Black Metal, Blackened Death Metal with Epic, Dissonant, Gothic/Doom Metal, Electronic/Industrial, and Field Recordings Influences - February 19th - Sentient Ruin Laboratories - Volume: +3 - Australia (Brisbane, Queensland) - Eccentric vocals ranging from experimental epic heavy metal, sludgy doom growls, depressive black, chanting, to somber gothic/doom. Wish I could've gotten the limited edition vinyl to hear those glorious blast beats at max.
7. Emptiness - Vide
(91.8%) Experimental Darkwave/Coldwave/Dissonant Avant-Garde/Post-Metal with Ethereal Wave, Folk/Bluegrass, Synth-pop, Industrial, and Jazz Influences - February 12th - Season of Mist - Volume: -2[Y] - Belgium - There's an animosity (anxious-avoidant type) within the vocalist's delivery as if it could kill with a simple stare. Music is equally as dark but the post-metal is as beautiful as seeing a cavern entirely made of crystal even if there's an underlying whirlpool of darkness within it too.
8. Hoofmark - Evil Blues
(91.5%) Black Metal, Heavy Metal with Grunge, Experimental, Doom Metal, Blues, Psychedelic, and Alternative Rock Influences - January 13th - Miasma of Barbarity - Volume: +3/+7 - Portugal - Can see a lot of people disliking this due to the vocal choices. To me, it's a bold avant-gardish decision to approach. It's like a grunge singer becoming an emcee. Musically though, I don't see a problem. There's a s**t ton of influences blending together smoothly. Reminds me of Maquahuitl & Imha Tarikat + some avant-garde group I don't know. Hmm, maybe Funereal Presence.
9. John The Baptist - John The Baptist
(91.3%) Doom Metal, Blackened Dark Metal with Electronic, Crust Punk, Psychedelic, Nature Recordings, and Folk Influences - January 3rd - Independent - Volume: +18 - Finland - F**kin' good doom with a vocalist that could pass off as an epic doom vocalist but not quite, sometimes breaching gothic territory. Riffs have a unique sound from typical doom. Don't quite have the same thickness but are exemplified by its dark metal concept.
10. Sexmag - Sex Metal
(91.1%) Black/Speed Metal - October 22nd - [EP] - Dying Victims Productions - Volume: ? - Poland
11. Seed (USA-MA) - Dun Pageant
(90.8%) Doom Metal/Post-Metal with Electronic, Experimental, Post-Hardcore, Dark/Ambient, and Drone Influences - March 5th - ? - Volume: 0 - United States (Boston, Massachusetts)
12. Dosanjos - Heterogeneous Hieratic Areopagus
(90.3%) Atmospheric/Ambient Black Metal with Dark Ambient, Noise, Power Electronics, Avant-Garde, Glitch, and Nature Recordings Influences - January 13th - Independent(?) - Volume: -14 - Brazil - Eerie and inherently evil via the unseen. Guitars are pushed to the background while everything else to the forefront. Seems bad in theory but Raphael Mandra did an exceptional job capturing their vision.
13. Reverorum Ib Malacht - Svag I Döden
(89.5%) Atmospheric/Symphonic Black Metal, Industrial Metal - August 6th - Independent - Volume: +4 - Sweden
14. The Ruins Of Beverast - The Thule Grimoires
(89.5%) Atmospheric Blackened Doom Metal, Psychedelic Post-Metal/Gothic Metal with Ritual/Dark Ambient, Death/Doom Metal, Folk, Electronic, Doom/Thrash Metal, and Stoner Metal Influences - February 5th - Ván Records - Volume: +9[Y] - Germany - So... Much... passion in what Alexander von Meilenwald does. Imagination taking me to a cold landscape subdued by ambience and psychedelia. If you enjoyed Drown's Subaqueous and don't mind Type O Negative then be prepared for a lush environment.
15. Autarcie - Apogée.Ivresse.Agonie
(89.4%) Atmospheric/Melodic Black Metal with Dungeon Synth and Epic Influences - April 30th - Purity Through Fire - Volume: +6 [Y] - France
16. Pestis Cultus - Pestis Cultus
(89.2%) Raw Orthodox Black/Death Metal with Industrial and Dark Ambient/Drone Influences - February 12th - Signal Rex - Volume: 0 - Australia (Perth, Western Australia) - The correct way to create riveting and relentless satanic black metal having an inclination toward blast beats.
17. Gravestench - Will To Madness
(89.2%) Raw Black/Death Metal with Punk, Noise, and Doom Metal Influences - January 14th/18th - [Demo] - Independent - Volume: +8 - Finland - I find a lot of punk-influenced metal difficult to love since many choose the lax, mid-paced route. Gravestench, however, have a chaotic, raw and evil atmosphere working wonders for their relentless, punkish satanic metal.
18. LICE (UK) - WASTELAND: What Ails Our People Is Clear
(88.7%) Avant-Garde/Experimental/Industrial/Progressive Rock with Psychedelic Rock, Jazz, Post-Rock, Art Punk, Sludge Metal, and Drone/Doom Metal Influences - January 8th - Settled Law Records - Volume: +2 - United Kingdom (Bristol, England) - The surreal, disturbing atmosphere taking place in the middle of the instrumentation is astounding. Overall, this sounds more Voivod than Voivod. Also don't see how soft-spoken vocals can convey a feeling of absolute emptiness and dread.
19. Kabbalah - The Omen
(88.7%) Heavy Psychedelic/Doom Metal - January 15th - Ripple Music - Volume: -2 - Spain - All-women band knowing how to write songs carrying weight. Infectiously groovy with vocals having a very early gothic rock vibe.
20. Kharàce - Dakhalè
(88.7%) Raw Black Metal with Doom Metal Influences - January 15th - Xenoglossy Productions - Volume: +5/+6 - Italy - Strange album deciding to record the first track with a loud hiss while doing away with it for the remainder. Wasn't minded but improved the experience without it. Style of the final track is a bit different too - following a more depressive composition.
21. Wampyric Rites - The Eternal Melancholy Of The Wampyre
(88.6%) Black Metal with Raw Influences - February 1st - Inferna Profundus Records - Volume: -1/+6 - Ecuador - If your morning coffee won't wake you, surely this will. Enough energy to power up a factory and those drums are the main power source. God those drums are magnificent. They're more fitting for a black/thrash act but you get them here in a pure black metal album.
22. Këkht Aräkh - Pale Swordsman
(88.6%) Black Metal with Folk Influences - April 10th - Livor Mortis - Volume: -5 - Ukraine
23. Anael - Mare
(88.5%) Black Metal, Dark/Gothic/Doom Metal with Psychedelic/Post-Metal, Post-Punk, Viking/Folk Metal, and Death/Thrash Metal Influences - February 4th - Into Endless Chaos Records - Volume: +4 - Germany - Oh my god, where do I start? Not your typical black metal. Phenomenal fusion between it and dark metal. Passionate drummer so in tune with what he's doing and a vocalist combining the arrays of black, death, gothic, and viking metal into a homecooked melting pot.
24. Culted - Nous
(88.2%) Blackened Sludge/Doom Metal, Psychedelic Post-Metal/Dark Ambient with Ritual Ambient, Drone/Doom Metal, Electronic, Noise, and Acoustic Folk Influences - February 26th - Season of Mist - Volume: +7 - International (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada/Sweden) - Sludge/doom under the filter of darkness. Album switches between that and more atmospheric moments concentrated on ambience and minimal guitar passages via the interplay of post-metal, droning, and acoustics.
25. Gabestok - Én Gang Rådden, Altid Rådden
(88.0%) Blackened Crust Punk with Stoner Metal and Heavy Metal Influences - April 15th - Strange Aeons Records - Volume: -1 - Denmark
26. Kwade Droes - Met Onoprechte Deelneming
(87.6%) Avant-Garde Black Metal with Experimental, Electronic, Doom Metal, and Choral Influences - April 16th - Ván Records - Volume: +2 - Netherlands/Germany(?)
27. Tenue - Territorios
(87.5%) Screamo/Metal/Hardcore with Blackgaze, Sludge/Doom Metal, Thrash Metal, and Melodic Black Metal Influences - March 30th - Zegema Beach Records - Volume: 0 - Spain
28. Enterré Vivant - Shiki (四季)
(87.5%) Atmospheric Black Metal with Raw, Folk, Gothic/Depressive Black Metal, Neoclassical, and Dungeon Synth Influences - January 5th - [EP] - Independent - Volume: +1 - International (France/Japan) - Vocals have a flair of gargling saliva and spitting fire in the stylings of depressive black metal. Atmosphere and folk tendencies are similar to Esoctrilihum but on the raw spectrum.
29. Rxy - Allá Donde Mueren Los Conceptos
(87.4%) Experimental Post-/Noise Rock/Flashcore/Shoegaze, Depressive Black Metal with Raw, Progressive/Electronic, Psychedelic, Jazz/Fusion, Avant-Garde, Emo, and Breakbeat Influences - February 12th - Independent - Volume: -6 - Spain - Artsy effort seemingly amateurish on the surface but its intensity in the dark arts is well-crafted.
30. Valac - Burning Dawn Of Vengeance
(87.1%) Raw/Atmospheric Black Metal with Field Recordings Influences - January 15th - Independent - Volume: -2 - United States (Santa Fe, New Mexico) - Holy s**t. Guitar tone has a nice black/heavy - raw, cold Hellenic feel. Production helps heaps pushing this onto the plateau.
31. Portent - Black Humours & Sour Chasms
(87.0%) Progressive Black Metal with Avant-Garde Metal, Thrash Metal, Acoustic Folk, and Psychedelic Influences - May 6th - Independent - Volume: +12 - United Kingdom (London, England)
32. Vermineux - 1337
(86.9%) Raw/Atmospheric Black Metal, Dark/Folk, Space/Dark Ambient with Pagan, Dungeon Synth, and Field Recordings Influences - January 31st - [Demo] - Purity Through Fire - Volume: +16 - United States (Sacramento, California) - I'm in love with the cloudy production of this emotive, 50-minute folkish raw black metal "demo" piece. Turn it up, the tinnitus is worth it.
33. Big Brave - Vital
(86.4%) Experimental Sludge/Doom/Drone Metal, Post-Metal with Noise, Dark Ambient, and Punk Influences - April 23rd - Southern Lord Records - Volume: -7 - Canada (Montreal, Québec)
34. Reveal! - Doppelherz
(86.3%) Black Metal/Deathrock with Psychedelic Rock, Thrash Metal, and Heavy Metal Influences - December 10th - Sepulchral Voice Records - Volume: -2 - Sweden
35. Fawn Limbs - Darwin Falls
(86.2%) Mathcore/Deathcore/Dark Jazz/Spoken Word with Dark Ambient, Chamber Music, Groove Metal, Glitch, Folk, and Field Recordings Influences - August 13th - [?] - Volume: 0 - United States (Pennsylvania)
36. Alkuharmonian Kantaja - Shadowy Peripherals
(86.2%) Progressive/Avant-Garde Black Metal with Atmospheric Black Metal, Dungeon Synth, Thrash Metal, Epic Doom Metal, and Field Recordings Influences - October 1st/8th - I, Voidhanger Records - Volume: +13 - Finland
37. Muyubyosha - Noč Na Krayu Sveta
(86.1%) Industrial/Avant-Garde Metal/Jazz with Dark/Ritual/Space Ambient, Atmospheric Black Metal, Drone/Doom Metal, Folk, Smooth Jazz, and Death Metal/Noise Influences - April 2nd - Sentient Ruin Laboratories - Volume: -5 - International (Russia/Japan/United States) - Mixing is great, especially the interplay between the industrial and jazzy drumming.
38. Defacement - Defacement
(86.1%) Death/Black Metal with Dissonant and Ambient Influences - September 3rd - I, Voidhanger Records - Volume: 0 - Netherlands
39. Qrixkuor - Poison Palinopsia
(85.9%) Blackened Death Metal with Death/Doom Metal, Dissonant, and Epic Influences - August 13th - Dark Descent Records - Volume: 0 - International (United Kingdom/New Zealand)
40. Furia - W Śnialni
(85.9%) Avant-Garde/Black Metal/Experimental Rock with Atmospheric, Psychedelic/Drone/Noise/Tribal Ambient, Jazz, Electronic, and Rap Influences - February 21st - Pagan Records - Volume: +3 - Poland - Great build-up through and through in this atmospheric and hypnotic experimental rock release. Highly inventive in its sampling concepts and adjusting the mixing and volume as the album progresses.
41. Thos Ælla - Abnegation Psalms
(85.5%) Progressive Black/Death Metal with Melodic Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Epic, and Hard Rock Influences - March 15th/21st - Sunshine Ward Recordings - Volume: 0 - United States (Georgia)
42. Elegiac - Father Of Death
(85.5%) Pagan Black Metal, Black 'n' Roll with Raw and Ritual Ambient Influences - January 28th - Independent - Volume: -3 - United States (Allegany, New York) - Mid-paced black metal more in tuned with the spirit of heavy metal, hard rock, and the cries of their pagan ancestors.
43. Hadit - With Joy And Ardour Through The Incommensurable Path
(85.2%) Death/Black Metal with Dissonant, Orthodox Black Metal, Progressive Metal, Doom Metal, Deathgrind, and Industrial/Noise Influences - May 7th - Sentient Ruin Laboratories - Volume: +2 - Italy
44. Ehnahre - Jacob [Collaboration]
(85.0%) Avant-Garde Drone/Doom Metal/Noise with Mathcore and Blackened Death Metal Influences - March 5th - Glossolalia Records - Volume: +6 - Germany & United States (Boston, Massachusetts)
45. Krallice - Demonic Wealth
(84.9%) Lo-fi Technical Black Metal/Space/Dark Ambient with Technical Death Metal, Technical Thrash Metal, Brutal Death Metal, and Blackened Death Metal Influences - March 5th - Independent - Volume: +8 - United States (New York, New York)
46. Diemen Sniep - Life Without Adrenaline
(84.6%) Experimental Post-/Noise Rock, Drone with Psychedelic, Dream Pop, Stoner Rock, Space Ambient, Chiptune, Chamber Music, Electronic, Depressive Rock, Post-Metal, and Post-Black Metal Influences - June 18th - JauneOrange - Volume: +7 - Belgium
47. Labor Intvs - Sunken Crucible
(84.4%) Blackened Death/Doom Metal with Avant-Garde Black Metal, Atmospheric, Industrial, Acoustic Folk, Psychedelic Rock, Avant-Garde/Dark/Jazz, and Electronic Influences - October 26th - Independent - Volume: +12 - Finland
48. Charnel Altar - Abatement Of The Sun
(84.3%) Death/Black/Doom Metal - December 17th - Blood Harvest - Volume: +8 - Australia (Adelaide, South Australia)
49. Sår - Absurdism
(84.3%) Depressive Black Metal with Raw and Field Recordings Influences - January 2nd - Independent - Volume: +5 - Russia - Genuine, sincere DSBM not seemingly stuck on overt sadness and desperation. Instead, understanding the hopelessness of the situation realizing little can be done about its manic affairs. Surprisingly, there exists a couple of uplifting tracks coping with the fact inner peace can be found in a chaotic world even if short-lived.
50. Morbid Winds - The Black Corridors Of The Abyssal Depths Of Existence Opened Their Gates
(84.2%) Black Metal with Raw and Atmospheric/Dungeon Synth Influences - February 14th - Analög Ragnarök - Volume: 0 - Poland - Excellent slab of black metal with a disposition of tortured monstrous vocals from the depths of long forgotten catacombs.
51. Socioclast - Socioclast
(84.2%) Deathgrind with Thrash Metal and Slam Metal Influences - February 19th - Carbonized Records - Volume: +1 - United States (San Jose, California) - Phenomenal extreme drumming with the capability to crumble buildings of great stature. Even in its chaotic exterior, there're atmospheric passages allowing breathing room to absorb the fresh mold from the crunchy guitars.
52. Dreamwell - Modern Grotesque
(84.2%) Screamo/Post-Metal/Post-Hardcore, Psychedelic Post-Rock - February 26th - Independent - Volume: -1 - United States (Providence, Rhode Island)
53. Vessel Of Iniquity - The Doorway
(84.1%) Black/Death/Industrial Metal with Ambient Influences - August 6th - Sentient Ruin Laboratories - Volume: +5 - United Kingdom (Oxfordshire, England)
54. Dead And Dripping - Miasmic Eulogies Predicating An Eternal Nocturne
(84.1%) Progressive/Technical Brutal Death Metal, Slam Metal with Avant-Garde and Jazz Fusion Influences - May 12th - Independent - Volume: -1 - United States (New Jersey)
55. Rhododendron - Protozoan Battle Hymns
(83.9%) Progressive Metal/Experimental Rock, Noise/Space Rock with Math Rock, Drone Metal, Electronic, Shoegaze, Folk, and Atmospheric Influences - May 14th - [?] - Volume: +5 - United States (Portland, Oregon)
56. Johanna Hedva - Black Moon Lilith In Pisces In The 4th House
(83.7%) Singer/Songwriter, Avant-Garde Drone/Doom Metal, Noise Rock, Folk with Electronic and Hard Rock Influences - January 1st - [?] - Volume: -1 - United States (Los Angeles, California)
57. Klanen - Coerced Into Desolate Eternity
(83.6%) Raw Black Metal with Melodic, Depressive Black Metal, and Gothic Influences - January 23rd - Independent - Volume: -2/+32 - United States (Virginia) - Solid black metal with of course, shrieks, joined by noisy growls giving this a certain charm. The few black/heavy inserted leads are the highlight of this album.
58. Lunar Shadow - Wish To Leave
(83.6%) Heavy Metal, Post-Metal, Gothic Rock with Blues Rock, Melodic/Black Metal, and Field Recordings Influences - March 19th - Cruz del Sur Music - Volume: +1 - Germany
59. Aberration - Aberration
(83.5%) Black/Death Metal with Industrial Influences - January 15th - [EP] - Sentient Ruin Laboratories - Volume: +9 - United States (Minneapolis, Minnesota) - A thick, poisonous fog surrounds this. Pretty damn insane and clear they want no trace of you in this infernal, suffocating EP.
60. Diskord - Degenerations
(83.3%) Progressive/Technical/Avant-Garde/Death Metal with Free Jazz and Electronic Influences - August 13th - Transcending Obscurity Records - Volume: +2 - Norway
61. θoʊθ (Thoth) - Ruins Of Gubla
(83.2%) Death/Stoner/Doom Metal with Raw, Brutal Death Metal, and Drone Influences - February 1st - [EP] - Kellerassel Records - Volume: +7/+18 - Germany - Novel EP recorded brilliantly for the style they have going. Never have I heard meshing of all the above mentioned elements in all its raw and somber splendor.
62. Sacrocurse - Supreme Terror
(83.2%) War Metal - January 20th - [EP] - Shadow Records - Volume: +4[Y] - México (Monterrey) - Mind-blowing EP filled with maddening, satanic riffing while having instances of howling dispersed and situated solos at a lower volume in the mix.
63. Acausal Intrusion - Nulitas
(83.1%) Technical/Avant-Garde Death Metal, Death/Doom Metal with Experimental, Melodic Death Metal, Electronic, Blues, Chamber Music, Brutal Death Metal, Drone/Doom Metal, and Dark Ambient Influences - May 21st - I, Voidhanger Records - Volume: +3 - United States
64. Nomadic Rituals - Tides
(82.9%) Sludge/Doom Metal with Progressive/Post-Metal, Noise, Psychedelic Rock, Electronic, and Death/Doom Metal Influences - January 8th - Cursed Monk Records - Volume: +3 - United Kingdom (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - Subtle, noisy, raw production. Holy psychedelic atmosphere on "Moving Towards Total Disorganisation"! What a legendary sounding song. Progressive touches throughout the album are nice too.
65. Mvltifission - Decomposition In The Painful Metamorphosis
(82.9%) Death Metal with Technical, Death/Doom, Gothic, and Jazz Fusion Influences - February 4th - Independent - Volume: -1 - China - Feast on some dark Chinese OSDM infused with heavy metal and technical leanings. Only minor problem is the pretension of the bass in some areas. Great use of the toms though and stellar melodic, mvlti-dimensional solos.
66. Regnvm Animale - Ignis Sacer
(82.9%) Post-Black Metal with Punk, Folk, and Nature Recordings Influences - January 24th - [EP] - Independent - Volume: 0 - Sweden - The few melodic, triumphant Iron Maiden-esque guitar leads are delightful.
67. Crucifixion Bell - Eternal Grip Of The Nocturnal Empire
(82.7%) Black Metal with Raw, Ambient, Melodic Black Metal, and Noise Influences - June 11th - Crown and Throne Ltd. - Volume: -7 - United States
68. Vertebra Atlantis - Lustral Purge In Cerulean Bliss
(82.7%) Death/Black Metal, Symphonic Black Metal with Post-Metal, Death/Doom Metal, Avant-Garde Metal, and Field Recordings Influences - November 12th - I, Voidhanger Records - Volume: +6[Y] - Italy
69. Labored Breath - Dyspnea
(82.6%) Black/Death Metal with Blackened Death Metal, Extreme Progressive Metal, Industrial Metal, Screamo, Space/Ritual Ambient, Electronic, and Epic Influences - April 2nd - Sentient Ruin Laboratories - Volume: +1 - United States (Oakland, California) - Nice exhibition of extreme aptitude and calm, dark ambience with plenty of breathing room for the rest of the main instruments.
70. Astral Tomb - Degradation Of Human Consciousness
(82.6%) Brutal/Death Metal with Avant-Garde/Free Improvisation and Jazz Influences - January 29th - [EP] - Blood Harvest - Volume: +5 - United States (Denver, Colorado) - All in good fun in its sloppy goodness. Drums set-up momentous headbanging along with the primitive BDM riffs. The integrous dichotomy of the crass-natured slow riffs and the frantic solos is the recipe toward excellency.
71. Kaal Akuma - In The Mouth Of Madness
(82.5%) Death Metal with Death/Doom Metal, Avant-Garde Black Metal, Folk, and Slam Metal Influences - January 18th - Dunkelheit Produktionen - Volume: +3 - Bangladesh - Chilling, ominous, chugging death metal with the iconic Krisiun-styled drumming. With the guitarist, it's the little things giving this an explosion of flavor (e.g. ghastly leads).
72. Dread Sovereign - Alchemical Warfare
(82.5%) Doom Metal with Psychedelic Rock, Heavy/Doom Metal, Dark Ambient, Black Metal, Thrash/Death Metal, Post-Metal, and Black/Speed Metal Influences - January 15th - Metal Blade Records - Volume: ? - Ireland
73. Cthonica - Lesser Incantations Of Chthonic Lore
(82.2%) Blackened Death Metal with Electronic, Dark Ambient, Drone/Doom Metal, and Noise Influences - March 5th - [EP] - Caligari Records/Sentient Ruin Laboratories - Volume: +1 - Venezuela - Dark and truly disgusting and evil s**t. Drums are a tad quieter than other acts but have a unique sound which blends in perfectly with the atmosphere.
74. Stikkersvin - Kælderens Barn
(82.2%) Raw Black Metal with Punk, Epic, and Death Metal Influences - January 24th - [Demo] - Dolk-I-Ryg Records - Volume: +8 - Denmark - Those epic heavy metal vocals sound mad and intoxicated. They're used sparingly so I appreciate them whenever they surface. Surprisingly, my favorite track, "Køtervalsen" doesn't feature them but in place is an equally as amazing riff.
75. ÂGE ⱡ TOTAL - ÂGE ⱡ TOTAL
(82.2%) Alternative/Atmospheric Sludge/Doom Metal/Space Ambient, Funeral Doom Metal with Dream Pop/Post-Punk, Psychedelic Drone/Industrial, Electronic, Avant-Garde Jazz, Progressive Metal, Emo/Post-Hardcore, and Dungeon Synth Influences - February 4th - [EP] - SOZA - Volume: -1 - France - Mixture of sludge/doom and funeral doom with ethereal post-punk vocals. The electronics being used feel nostalgic and the dark space ambient and droning are lovely.
76. Order Of Omega - 333
(82.2%) Dissonant Black Metal - September 13th - Rat King Records - Volume: +1[Y] - International
77. Breath - Primeval Transmissions
(82.2%) Stoner/Doom Metal, Psychedelic Doom Metal with Experimental and Drone Influences - February 5th - Desert Records - Volume: +6 - United States (Portland, Oregon) - Hypnotic bass-driven, minimal guitar DIY-esque stoner metal with mostly a somber deadpan voice as if the vocalist had a speech impediment.
78. Lamp Of Murmuur - Submission And Slavery
(82.2%) Black Metal, Gothic Rock with Dark/Ambient, Dungeon Synth, and Avant-Garde Influences - September 16th - Independent - Volume: +1 - United States (Olympia, Washington)
79. Bossk - Migration
(82.1%) Atmospheric Sludge Metal, Post-Rock, Electronic with Ambient, Alternative Rock, Industrial, Shoegaze, Drone Metal, and Nature Recordings Influences - June 18th - Deathwish Inc. - Volume: -1 - United Kingdom (Ashford, Kent, England)
80. God Is An Astronaut - Ghost Tapes #10
(82.1%) Instrumental, Progressive/Post-Rock, Progressive/Post-Metal with Avant-Garde/Experimental, Ambient/Drone/Electronic, Post-Hardcore, Acoustic Rock/Folk, Alternative Metal, and Hard Rock Influences - February 12th - Napalm Records - Volume: -5[S] - Ireland -One jam session taking you to cloud nine and the final track slowly bringing you back to Earth. Is there a better way to experience a lucid dream?
81. Secret Gardens - Tundra
(82.0%) Instrumental, Depressive/Progressive/Post-Rock with Ambient, Alt-Country/Alternative Rock, Progressive Math Metal/Rock, Electronic, and Blues Influences - January 22nd - Independent - Volume: -2 - United States (New York, New York) - Warm and cozy depressive post-rock with the utmost alluring alt-country elements. The couple of voice narrations are pleasant too.
82. Frostcloud - Frostcloud: One
(81.8%) Black/Dark Metal, Ambient/Dungeon Synth with Post-Black Metal, Psychedelic Folk, and Nature Recordings Influences - January 1st - [EP] - Independent - Volume: -2 - United States (Port Townsend, Washington) - Dreamy ambient sections in a black/dark metal album having the signature Type O Negative sound. Outside of this sound (when this one-man band plays post-black metal), is a fusion of black metal and indie rock instead of shoegaze to be properly called blackgaze.
83. Starscape - Colony
(81.8%) Heavy/Speed Metal with Melodic, Progressive Rock, and Blackened Influences - March 1st - Independent - Volume: 0 - Sweden
84. White Stones - Dancing Into Oblivion
(81.7%) Progressive Metal with Death Metal, Black Metal, Jazz, and Drone Influences - August 27th - Nuclear Blast - Volume: +1 - Spain
85. Infected Humans - Unexpected Traumatic Experiences
(81.7%) Brutal Death Metal with Slam Metal, Progressive Metal, Technical/Avant-Garde, Jazz, and Folk Influences - January 15th - Gore House Productions - Volume: -2 - Ecuador - Unlike the drums, the rest opts for a natural, even lo-fi production. Other couple of oddities being midway slamming begins happening while on the final two tracks songwriting takes an experimental turn embracing originality.
86. Sepulchral Cult - Immurement, Spirits And Graveyard Chants
(81.5%) Death Metal with Blackened Sludge Metal, Noise, and Tribal Influences - February 8th - Putrid Cult - Volume: +1[Y] - Poland - Distinct, dark death metal with the feel of blackened sludge and heavy metal integrated.
87. Circle Of Ouroborus - Kiromantia
(81.5%) Atmospheric Black Metal, Post-Black Metal with Experimental and Gothic Rock Influences - November 5th - His Wounds - Volume: +15 - Finland
88. Maledictum - Sempiterno
(81.4%) Avant-Garde Dissonant Black Metal with Psychedelic Post-Metal, Technical Thrash Metal, and Field Recordings Influences - January 13th - Minche Mapu Records - Volume: +5 - Chile
89. Meister Leonhardt - Meister Leonhardt
(81.2%) Black Metal with Punk, Epic/Dungeon Synth, and Field Recordings Influences - February 8th - Purity Through Fire - Volume: 0 - Russia - Well-grounded and somewhat up-beat black metal. There's a lot of interesting riffs, some atmospheric, some evil, and some melodic.
90. Kurushimi - Chaos Remains
(81.2%) Instrumental, Avant-Garde Jazz/Metal, Grindcore/Noise Rock with Industrial, Jazz Fusion, Funk, Electronic, and Progressive Metal Influences - February 26th - Independent - Volume: +3 - Australia (Sydney, New South Wales) - Futuristic, dark industrial setting dismantling under the weight of gravity.
91. Dola - Czasy
(81.1%) Post-Metal, Atmospheric Sludge Metal, Atmospheric Black Metal with Psychedelic, Sludge/Doom Metal, Acoustic Folk, Doom Rock, Blackgaze, Industrial, Crust Punk, and Field Recordings Influences - July 5th - Widno - Volume: +1 - Poland
92. Savage Necromancy - Feathers Fall To Flames
(81.0%) War Metal with Thrash Metal Influences - August 6th - Unpure Records - Volume: -6 - United States (Phoenix, Arizona)
93. Cadaveric Cult - Spiritual Migration
(80.9%) Blackened Death/Doom Metal with Funeral Doom Metal Influences - February 5th/15th - [Demo] - Burning Coffin Records - Volume: +13 - Chile - Loaded with murky, phantasmal, and horrific atmosphere. Excellent use of the funeral doom-lite influences.
94. Divide And Dissolve - Gas Lit
(80.8%) Instrumental, Drone/Doom Metal with Sludge/Industrial Metal, Chamber Music, and Ambient Influences - January 29th - Independent - Volume: -1 - Australia (Melbourne, Victoria) - The haunting, operatic avant-gardish classical music is phenomenally layered around the heavy drone and sludge.
95. Bongzilla - Weedsconsin
(80.6%) Sludge/Doom/Stoner Metal with Psychedelic Post-Rock and Drone Metal Influences - April 20th - Heavy Psych Sounds - Volume: +1 - United States (Madison, Wisconsin) - Embarrassed to admit I like this, but it's groovy and hypnotic. Vocals can be a hit or miss but I don't mind them.
96. Isgherurd Morth - Hellrduk
(80.5%) Progressive Black Metal with Doom Metal and Death Metal Influences - March 12th - Repose Records - Volume: 0 - Russia
97. Moon (GER) - On The Other Side Of Daylight
(80.4%) Heavy/Doom Metal with Rock 'n' Roll and Punk Influences - January 22nd - [Demo] - Dying Victims Productions - Volume: 0 - Germany - Excellent heavy/doom with the nicest touch of deadpan gothic vocals. Exquisite melodic leads in great contrast to the heavy, dark and evil riffs. Indeed it has left me mesmerized.
98. Skin Tension - Machinic Impulses Of The Hyperreal
(80.4%) Experimental/Technical/Avant-Garde Metal/Mathcore/Noise Rock, Avant-Garde/Jazz with Raw, Free Improvisation/Jazz, Electronic, Drone, Black Metal, and Industrial Influences - February 5th - Independent - Volume: +7 - United States (Nashville, Tennessee) - Raw and dark mechanical chaos entangled with vocals sounding similar to Travis Ryan's (Cattle Decapitation) blackened hissing snarls.
99. Ezra Brooks - Visions Of Esoteric Splendor [Split]
(80.3%) Heavy Metal with Speed Metal, Blackened, and Progressive Rock Influences & Heavy/Doom Metal - October 22nd - No Remorse Records - Volume: +1[Y]/+5[Y] - Finland & United States (Seattle, Washington)
100. Nansarunai - Ultimul Rege
(80.3%) Raw Black Metal with Psychedelic Influences - January 10th - Independent - Volume: +3 - Indonesia
101. Lugubrum - Bruyne kroon
(80.3%) Experimental Black Metal, Psychedelic Rock with Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Crust Punk, Alternative Metal, Spaghetti Western, Avant-Garde/Jazz, and Bluegrass Influences - May 13th - Independent - Volume: -1 - Belgium
102. Monte Penumbra - As Blades In The Firmament
(80.2%) Atmospheric/Black Metal with Dissonant and Avant-Garde Influences - March 26th - End All Life Productions - Volume: +4 - Portugal
103. Cynic - Ascension Codes
(80.0%) Progressive Metal/Jazz Fusion, Ambient with Electronic Influences - November 26th - Season of Mist - Volume: -2 - United States (Los Angeles, California)
104. Glassing - Twin Dream
(80.0%) Screamo/Post-Hardcore/Sludge Metal/Post-Metal with Post-Black Metal, Drone, Dark/Ambient, Dream Pop, Avant-Garde, and Noise Influences - November 5th - Brutal Panda - Volume: 0 - United States (Austin, Texas)
105. Bríi - Sem Propósito
(79.7%) Atmospheric Black Metal/Ambient with Blues, Electronic, Dark Ambient, EDM, Doom Metal, Thrash Metal, Progressive Metal, Noise, Avant-Garde Jazz, Metalcore, and Blackened Death Metal Influences - March 15th - [?] - Volume: 0 - Brazil
106. Ad Nauseam - Imperative Imperceptible Impulse
(79.7%) Technical/Avant-Garde Dissonant Blackened Death Metal with Mathcore, Dark Ambient, Technical Thrash Metal, Jazz, and Electronic/Drone Influences - February 12th - Avantgarde Music - Volume: ? - Italy - Wow... just wow. At least that's saying for the first couple of songs and a bit later on. Eerie atmosphere aside from the cheesy, suspenseful ambience in the first track. Mechanical-like dissonance and structure but less disordered as the album went on. There're times I prefer this over Ulcerate's Stare Into Death And Be Still but many times it found itself in lukewarm territory.
107. Darkthrone - Eternal Hails......
(79.5%) Black/Heavy/Speed/Doom Metal with Space Ambient Influences - June 25th - Peaceville Records - Volume: +6[Y] - Norway
108. Belliciste - Deathsworn
(79.3%) Black Metal with Melodic, Orthodox, Dungeon Synth, and Pagan Influences - January 12th - [Demo] - Independent - Volume: +19/+25 - New Zealand; Serbia - Dude, drums sound so good. Classically thunderous and double bass, especially, has an au naturel, orgasmic production.
109. Melancholia - Static Church
(79.1%) Blackened Doom Metal, Sludge Metal with Post-Metal and Drone Metal Influences - February 5th - [EP] - Independent - Volume: +13 - United States (Bellingham, Washington)
110. Proudhon - The Damaged Bodies
(78.4%) Raw Deathgrind with Crust Punk, Slam Metal, Progressive, and War Metal Influences - February 1st - [EP] - Independent - Volume: +15 - France - This Cannibal Corpse, "Eaten Back To Life" sound will always be loved by me and sounds great under the grindcore genre. Their last track hinted toward a progressive direction so it could be a sign of things to come.
111. Wedge - Like No Tomorrow
(78.4%) Psychedelic/Progressive/Hard/Stoner Rock, Heavy Psychedelic/Stoner Metal - January 15th - Heavy Psych Sounds Records - Volume: -2 - Germany
112. Wheel (GER) - Preserved In Time
(78.4%) Doom Metal with Heavy Metal, Folk, and Psychedelic Influences - April 9th - Cruz del Sur Music - Volume: -4 - Germany
113. Gateway - Flesh Reborn
(78.3%) Death/Doom Metal with Noise Influences - May 7th - [EP] - Chaos Records - Volume: -1 - Belgium
114. Wode - Burn In Many Mirrors
(78.3%) Melodic Death/Black Metal with Thrash Metal, Gothic Metal, and Dungeon Synth Influences - April 2nd - 20 Buck Spin - Volume: +4[Y] - United Kingdom (Manchester, Greater Manchester, England) - Not bad especially an album going the melodic route. Would've been rated higher but I felt, "Vanish Beneath" was a weak song compared to the rest. Love the intros to a lot of these tracks though.
115. Suffering Hour - The Cyclic Reckoning
(78.2%) Atmospheric/Psychedelic Black/Death Metal with Dissonant and Post-Black Metal Influences - February 19th - Profound Lore Records - Volume: +6[Y] - United States (Forest Lake, Minnesota/Longmont, Colorado) - Invoking evil from ancient civilizations while being emotional.
116. Ars Magna Umbrae - Throne Between Worlds
(78.2%) Atmospheric Black Metal with Post-Metal and Field Recordings Influences - November 12th - I, Voidhanger Records - Volume: +2 - Poland
117. Mogwai - As The Love Continues
(78.2%) Instrumental, Post-/Noise Rock/Electronic, Alternative Rock/Shoegaze/Ambient with Experimental, Psychedelic Rock, Alternative/Drone/Doom Metal, Dungeon Synth, Modern Classical, and EDM Influences - February 19th - Rock Action/Temporary Residence - Volume: -1 - United Kingdom (Glasgow, Scotland)
118. Honorable Mentions:
119. Caixão - Demo 2020
(77.5%) Lo-fi Progressive Black/Death Metal with Experimental and Gothic Influences - April 1st - [EP] - Nuclear War Now! Productions - Volume: +10 - Portugal - Blown away by the vocalist's likeness to Attila Csihar's performance in, "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" but more importantly the parallelism to Hagetisse is uncanny. The 90's ingrained bass is akin to the darkness of, again, Mayhem, the peculiarity of Thought Industry, and the modernity of Thecodontion.
120. Clandestine Blaze - Secrets Of Laceration
(77.4%) Black Metal with Blackened Heavy Metal and Atmospheric Influences - April 27th/30th - Northern Heritage Records - Volume: +5[Y] - Finland
121. Acrylazea - A Cavalcade Of Cosmic Calamity
(77.0%) Experimental Progressive Metal, Cabaret with Black Metal, Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Jazz Fusion, and Folk Influences - March 12th - Independent - Volume: -3 - United States (Rochester, New York) - Not a fan anymore but this is reminiscent of System of a Down's quirkiness charm. Some will shy away which is understandable but I see value in a band making me sit through a keyboard entrée. R.I.P. Butters.
122. Athar Aghanon - Fidelitas
(73.1%) Atmospheric/Melodic Black Metal/Medieval Folk with Epic, Gothic, Symphonic, Dark Cabaret, Avant-Garde Metal, Dungeon Synth, Neoclassical, and Electronic Influences - January 1st - Independent - Volume: +5 - Norway - Great music but wish it was a little more guitar-oriented as these guys are competent songwriters.
123. Hænesy - Garabontzia
(72.4%) Atmospheric Black Metal, Atmospheric Post-Metal with Folk Influences - February 28th - Independent/Purity Through Fire - Volume: +4 - Hungary - The post-metal can be assertive but it works well along with the atmospheric black metal.
124. Exit Bag - Exit Bag
(69.9%) Death/Sludge/Doom Metal, Death Metal/Hardcore with Drone/Doom/Industrial, Dark Ambient, Black Metal, and Stoner/Doom Metal Influences - January 1st - Independent - Volume: 0 - United States (Hartford, Connecticut) - First time I felt a genuine, murderous intent from a deathcore act. The amount of petrification and evil is as much as its gargantuan weight. While the hardcore aspects are standard at best, Exit Bag excels in its droning and (especially) dark ambient elements.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by quieted_darkness ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 5   Visited by: 62 users
29.01.2021 - 21:46
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Pretty great list. I added a few of these today.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
29.01.2021 - 22:24
quieted_darkness

Written by RaduP on 29.01.2021 at 21:46

Pretty great list. I added a few of these today.

Ooo, thank you for that. My list doesn't look so empty with the album cover art on the left now.
07.02.2021 - 23:26
quieted_darkness

I trimmed several of my descriptive entries so they're more readable and flow better while still having the meat. I left some intact because I really liked them. The only one I'm unhappy with is Infected Humans. I need to restructure that one some other day.
31.10.2021 - 02:51
ChapuLviz
Tropical Goat
There seems to be good music here. The first three albums were very good to me: Gravehuffer, Sol Kia and Victory Over The Sun. I'll keep listening.
31.10.2021 - 16:03
quieted_darkness

Written by ChapuLviz on 31.10.2021 at 02:51

There seems to be good music here. The first three albums were very good to me: Gravehuffer, Sol Kia and Victory Over The Sun. I'll keep listening.

Glad to hear. I hope you find more music that interests you through my list thus far. Though I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it turns out to be average for you since we all have different tastes.

Hits total: 1174 | This month: 8