Metal Storm logo
2020 Metal Storm Awards Now Open

This whole pandemic erupted in earnest around this time last year, when we were embroiled in the 2019 Metal Storm Awards. Well, it's still here, you're still trapped inside, and you probably need to stock up on some more music recommendations to get you through. We don't know about you all, but we've been looking forward to this year's MSAs a lot more than usual, and it is our great pleasure to announce that voting is once again open.

You have the entire month of February to listen and cast your votes, so be sure to explore all of the excellent nominees we have laid out for you. Have at it.

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 01.02.2021 by ScreamingSteelUS

Comments page 3 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 137   Visited by: 732 users
02.02.2021 - 23:09
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Aries Rising on 02.02.2021 at 17:04

It seems like you guys are shrinking the amount of categories. Wasn't there a Groove Metal category last year?

Depending upon what comes out, what we listen to and what resonates, our categories will flux. If a couple similar categories only have 5 albums each, we'll try to mash them into one larger cat.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.02.2021 - 08:33
sgtrobo

Written by ChapuLviz on 02.02.2021 at 20:05

Written by sgtrobo on 02.02.2021 at 01:04

same here, surprised, but I didn't think it was top 5 this year for thrash. Solid album, but there were a few that were better (like Bütcher!!!!)

Interesting to me... many people said great things about Bütcher's second album, but I was hyped with their debut album and that second is not so good. Anyway, I voted for Sylosis

wow, I have them both and I think Goats is a full step above War Machine, and Sylosis, surprisingly, did nothing for me.
Go figure, diff'rent strokes and all that

mods, out of curiosity, was there any possibility that On Thorns I Lay would've ended up in extreme doom?
03.02.2021 - 09:36
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by sgtrobo on 03.02.2021 at 08:33

mods, out of curiosity, was there any possibility that On Thorns I Lay would've ended up in extreme doom?

no
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
03.02.2021 - 09:48
fenchik

Written by Ball Fondlers on 01.02.2021 at 20:39

Written by fenchik on 01.02.2021 at 20:25

No Testament in Thrash??????

I was surprised, but I wouldn't have voted for it. I would have been interested to know how many would have though. Was it your vote for thrash?
Well Testament in vote in!!
03.02.2021 - 13:28
Zap
Written by BitterCOld on 02.02.2021 at 23:09

we'll try to mash them into one larger cat.

Poor thing.
03.02.2021 - 17:52
HyperDrifter

Everyone voting Iced Earth / Jon Schaffer in Drama has got the wrong year
03.02.2021 - 22:49
NastyHero

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - Dool as gothic *metal*? I assume you wanted 10 contestants badly. It's a cool album anyway, although their debut is better ("The Alpha" oh my God, that chorus <3).

Speaking of which, I was sure I'd vote for Paradise Lost but I heard new Draconian for the first time today and now I'm not so sure. I guess my vote will still go to Paradise Lost (Lethian Dreams was also really good and Light Field Reverie just starts pretty well at the moment), but maybe if I dug into Draconian a bit more...
04.02.2021 - 06:49
sgtrobo

Written by NastyHero on 03.02.2021 at 22:49

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - Dool as gothic *metal*? I assume you wanted 10 contestants badly. It's a cool album anyway, although their debut is better ("The Alpha" oh my God, that chorus <3).

Speaking of which, I was sure I'd vote for Paradise Lost but I heard new Draconian for the first time today and now I'm not so sure. I guess my vote will still go to Paradise Lost (Lethian Dreams was also really good and Light Field Reverie just starts pretty well at the moment), but maybe if I dug into Draconian a bit more...

Draconian and On Thorns I Lay were both better than PL for me this year
04.02.2021 - 10:49
NastyHero

So I just started listening to hard rock category but I'm pretty sure your Spotify link to AC/DC is wrong. It sounds exactly like their previous album.
04.02.2021 - 10:52
JoHn Doe

Written by NastyHero on 04.02.2021 at 10:49

So I just started listening to hard rock category but I'm pretty sure your Spotify link to AC/DC is wrong. It sounds exactly like their previous album.

no, it does not, the new one is better produced and has better songwriting.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
04.02.2021 - 10:53
JoHn Doe

The doom and gothic categories are tough choice.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
04.02.2021 - 12:09
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
I also forgot to complain about Havnatt - Ragnhildstreet missing from the folk category. Or is it because it's not metal? Just a reminder for me to write more reviews to bring attention to what I like
----
04.02.2021 - 12:15
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Ansercanagicus on 04.02.2021 at 12:09

I also forgot to complain about Havnatt - Ragnhildstreet missing from the folk category. Or is it because it's not metal? Just a reminder for me to write more reviews to bring attention to what I like

First time I ever see that name.
----
04.02.2021 - 13:18
NastyHero

Written by RaduP on 04.02.2021 at 12:15

Written by Ansercanagicus on 04.02.2021 at 12:09

First time I ever see that name.

I've also never heard about it, but I just checked. It's not folk metal, it's just... folk. OP himself answered his question as to why they weren't nominated.
04.02.2021 - 19:23
sgtrobo

Written by RaduP on 03.02.2021 at 09:36

Written by sgtrobo on 03.02.2021 at 08:33

no

I admit, I just wanted to be able to vote for both.
04.02.2021 - 19:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

lol I have heard 70% of them before it was nominated and not 300 new albums before . lol
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.02.2021 - 19:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I voted it was hard. I tried check out nominated bands but then there was to me more write in. I better give honest vote to band what wont win as help some band win.
Prog close between Vladen Pas and Ivanhoe
Surprise. Marko vs Mörk .... hard chose, debut well I wanted local,. but Jakob is (nja) nevermind, so I did not.
Good job, good albums, seems each year more and more job, nominate, listen, writinng to do, more new bands, I listen more albums and so on... its harder and harder.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.02.2021 - 22:03
NastyHero

Written by Bad English on 04.02.2021 at 19:37

lol I have heard 70% of them before it was nominated and not 300 new albums before . lol

I hear a lot of albums every year. From 2019 I have rated 1254 albums according to RYM.
I have a delay though and I usually start listening to new year albums around July or so, because I listen to my backlog before that.
Most of the albums nominated I have either already heard or had on my wishlist or avoided on purpose. However, there are 10-20 that I've picked up from nominations. Some of them I've already heard and quite liked, e.g. Kraken Duumvirate and Borgne, that's some quality stuff.

I've actually counted just now and it seems I've listened to ~77 nominated albums before the actual nominations So less than 70% for sure
05.02.2021 - 04:28
Rage10000

I just finished listening to Garganjua as I begin to go through the post metal category. I know it probably doesnt stand a chance, but this album is an absolute monster. For sure one of my favourites of the year. A band where the band's name seems to describe their music. Awesome!

Thanks for putting this together again guys. Makes for a great February. Cheers.
05.02.2021 - 10:24
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Boy, Rosy Finch might sweep Stoner cat handsomely.
05.02.2021 - 10:40
NastyHero

Well, PoS just shared their nomination on facebook, so I guess we have a prog metal category winner ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
05.02.2021 - 10:55
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by NastyHero on 05.02.2021 at 10:40

Well, PoS just shared their nomination on facebook, so I guess we have a prog metal category winner ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

O H B O Y

Expect the website to not be able to sustain all that traffic.

It has been a pleasant ride, ladies and gentlemen!
----
05.02.2021 - 17:33
sgtrobo

PoS = piece of shit? point of sale? procreation of salamanders?

side note - if a band that is nominated in one category by the admins gets a write-in vote in another category entirely (Such as half a dozen bands each in both Black Metal and Death Metal), do those write-in votes get removed? Just curious.
05.02.2021 - 17:35
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by sgtrobo on 05.02.2021 at 17:33

side note - if a band that is nominated in one category by the admins gets a write-in vote in another category entirely (Such as half a dozen bands each in both Black Metal and Death Metal), do those write-in votes get removed? Just curious.

Yes.
----
05.02.2021 - 18:49
NastyHero

Written by sgtrobo on 05.02.2021 at 17:33

PoS = piece of shit? point of sale? procreation of salamanders?

Palvation of Sain

Quote:

Well, imagine if someone has voted for a particular album in all categories. That's over 20 votes coming from one user.
Unless you meant - if a band can win a 'black metal' category because so many people have written it in, but it was nominated in 'death metal'.

Side note from me - White Magician is cool, used that as a write-in for heavy metal. Also Svalbard in -core.
05.02.2021 - 19:39
HyperDrifter

Can MS staff see what users vote for or is it anonymous?
05.02.2021 - 22:51
nikarg

Written by HyperDrifter on 05.02.2021 at 19:39

Can MS staff see what users vote for or is it anonymous?

It's anonymous, unfortunately. We would love to spy on you
05.02.2021 - 23:13
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Rage10000 on 05.02.2021 at 04:28

I just finished listening to Garganjua as I begin to go through the post metal category. I know it probably doesnt stand a chance, but this album is an absolute monster. For sure one of my favourites of the year. A band where the band's name seems to describe their music. Awesome!

Thanks for putting this together again guys. Makes for a great February. Cheers.

Please let us know here how you feel about some of the other post metal nominations. I always have a keen eye on post metal...
----
rekt
06.02.2021 - 00:34
Ismarmlp

Only 5 nominations in symphonic metal? where is Diabulus In Musica? wtf....
06.02.2021 - 00:48
nikarg

Written by Ismarmlp on 06.02.2021 at 00:34

Only 5 nominations in symphonic metal? where is Diabulus In Musica? wtf....

We are going to do our best next year to have a full category with ten albums. In the meantime, an album that deserved more attention, in my opinion, is this one.

Hits total: 6103 | This month: 15