04. Precious Lie
05. Washed-Out World
06. Living Nightmare
07. Soul Engraved
08. Gone Forever
09. Judge The Blood
10. Allegiance [Japanese bonus]
11. Mind Eraser [Japanese bonus]

Since the talk around a New Wave Of American Metal started that several new bands came up and got more attention. Many say that this is a new group of bands with too high commercial purposes, something to replace the ultra-explored and progressively fading Nu Metal. Yet, that doesn't reflect, neither in the sound nor in attitude, the reality of this movement, mainly based on Thrash and Hardcore. It (the NWOAM) acquired a very characteristic and appealing extreme style, but far from any concern with popularity goals to achieve.

Leaving arguable interpretations aside, fact is some of this new bands have lots of talent and seem to be ready to rock and remain for as long as possible. This could well be the best introduction for God Forbid. What this American quintet offers us isn't far from the previously referred "formula". As if that wasn't enough to shine, they distinguish themselves from the rest for their great melodic sense when, for example, changing from the more usual screaming to cleaner vocals, but specially because they count on the Coyle brothers to add, in Arch Enemy mode, amazing leads to the powerful tracks.

"Gone Forever" starts with "Force-Fed", nice beginning, great riffs, mostly Hardcore vocals, one big solo and a smaller one, great track. "Antihero" is absolute killer. The riffs remain in the mind lots of time before listening to the song, the bigger solo makes me want to do some air guitar, the drums are very good and there are really some catchy lines. "Better Days" is faster, more Hardcore, but still great. "Precious Lie" is a complex song, starts with a quiet intro and suddenly changes to an aggressive sound. Quite a melancholic chorus, with clean vocals making most of it. "Washed-Out World" is simply amazing, energetic chorus, great tempo changes, intelligent vocalizations, brilliant guitar work. "Living Nightmare" is head banging from the first second to the last. Nice drums and, as usual, a great solo, probably the fastest and my favourite in this work. "Soul Enraged" really opens with rage, very Hardcore influenced, except for the chorus and ends with another pleasant solo. The song with the same name as the album, the eight in the album, is all about the riffs, with the duo of guitars combining perfectly. "Judge The Blood" has a great calm intro and Byron Davis does a great job with the vocals. Also has the longest solo of the album, another great one.

The lyric content is also very good and meaningful. This release is very solid, creative, addictive, full of energy and rage and well produced. Quality diversified modern Thrash Metal, certainly deserves everyone's attention.

Written by Passenger | 16.07.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 46 users
01.08.2007 - 19:45
Deadsoulman
Elite
I bought this album a while ago and... nothing. Nothing special. Just decent background music. I can't really get into it. As far as I'm concerned, this band is highly overrated and so is this album.
15.12.2008 - 01:58
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Deadsoulman on 01.08.2007 at 19:45

I bought this album a while ago and... nothing. Nothing special. Just decent background music. I can't really get into it. As far as I'm concerned, this band is highly overrated and so is this album.

I wouldn't say so. Lots of metalheads hate on these guys and lots of scene kids don't even listen to them. Most of their fans are those metal heads who put their mind out beyond thinking about the stereotypes GF is stuck with and actually give them a decent chance. Of course, some people don't like them and that's cool, but I would say that they're far from overated.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
15.12.2008 - 11:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
This is a really good album. Great example of great modern thrash.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.05.2009 - 06:42
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Good.. but worse than ''Constitution Of Treason''. And the lyrics are all like one paragrapher per song... weird
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
30.01.2010 - 22:08
I think nthese guys rock,and to me i consider them one of the best bands out there,too bad they are underated,don't know why ?!!!
maybe some ppl are too blind with the nu metal shit,these guys rock ,i'm happy they ever existed!!!
09.12.2015 - 23:58
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I gotta say: Antihero is one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets

Hits total: 5431 | This month: 7