Metal Storm logo
Nine Inch Nails

Original post

Posted by Twilight, 29.05.2006 - 20:31
Anybody likes this awesome band (or just the guy behind the great music)?
Trent Reznor has made great music in the past. With Teeth isn't his best album. But he sure has made some albums that are high on my list of favorite albums.

I love The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile is great too. I own both albums, together with the Broken EP and Pretty Hate Machine.

Who else likes this unique music?
04.12.2007 - 22:49
IllNiñoSweden
Written by Guest on 01.12.2007 at 12:00

Written by IllNiñoSweden on 30.11.2007 at 23:12

Nine Inch Nails is a strange band because it is much industrial metal.
But Nine Inch Nails have one good song Surialism.

Wouldn't it only be strange if you're relatively unfamiliar with the overall sound?

I've never thought of NIN's sound as being strange, even when I first heard them, although this is certainly a subjective matter.

It is of course a subjective matter!
13.12.2007 - 13:59
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Just listened to their newest album Year Zero. That was a pretty boring experience...had expected something more seeing how it has been praised by a lot of people. But well it just confirmed that Nine Inch Nails is not my kind of thing
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
13.12.2007 - 15:30
b0000mst1ck
Written by GT on 13.12.2007 at 13:59

Just listened to their newest album Year Zero. That was a pretty boring experience...had expected something more seeing how it has been praised by a lot of people. But well it just confirmed that Nine Inch Nails is not my kind of thing

NIN's newer stuff is nothing like it used to be. try listening to "the downward spiral". it's a lot more industrial, and a lot less zzzzzzzzzzzz.....
13.12.2007 - 15:33
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Year Zero is just as industrial as the Downward Spiral, if not moreso...
13.12.2007 - 16:46
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Written by jupitreas on 13.12.2007 at 15:33

What are your favorite songs from Year Zero? I'm having such a hard time getting into this album. I understand that Trent composed it all on a laptop and for that it is an amazing feat, but it doesn't have the same "edge" I'm used to. With Teeth also left a lot to be desired but "Sunspots," "Beside You In Time," and the funky-ness of "Only" tickled my fancy.
13.12.2007 - 17:05
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Written by Introspekrieg on 13.12.2007 at 16:46

What are your favorite songs from Year Zero?

I think it works better as an album, rather than selecting particular songs. Fitting, considering its a concept album. I love the Merzbow-meets-hip-hop-loops feel of the album, it not only sounds good but is also rather innovative. If I am to select some tracks that particularly impress me though, I guess they would be "The Great Destroyer" (for the prog rock like crescendo), "Meet Your Master" (for its industrial rock refrain), "Capital G" (for the afore-mentioned hip-hop feel) and "The Warning" (for the classic bass-driven progression common to industrial rock). "My Violent Heart" is usually considered to be the best track and of course "Survivalism" is very anthemic. Sure, the album doesn't have the same 'edge' as the teen angst of "Downward Spiral" but that is a good thing. It offers a different approach which still works and keeps things interesting. You are also welcome to read my review: http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=4120
14.12.2007 - 07:34
b0000mst1ck

okay, i'll reword what i said...

it's a different kind of "industrial" from what NIN used to play. it's more commercial and less edgy.
14.12.2007 - 07:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by b0000mst1ck on 14.12.2007 at 07:34

it's a different kind of "industrial" from what NIN used to play. it's more commercial and less edgy.

I disagree. It sucks because he's old and did too many drugs, and is unable to write as creatively as he used to. Considering all the interviews I've read, he's really not in it for popularity or money.
14.12.2007 - 07:44
b0000mst1ck
Written by Dangerboner on 14.12.2007 at 07:39

Written by b0000mst1ck on 14.12.2007 at 07:34

I disagree. It sucks because he's old and did too many drugs, and is unable to write as creatively as he used to. Considering all the interviews I've read, he's really not in it for popularity or money.

wait...who do you disagree with?

and yeah, he's burned out. i grew up in a town about 15 minutes from where he was raised (mercer, pa), and i dated a girl whose mom was on the medical staff that performed a surgery on him a few years back (maybe 98 or 99?). he had some type of surgery that fixes the cartilage in your nose. i guess it's for people who snort so much "shit" that they destroy their nasal cavity.
31.12.2007 - 05:07
LethargyMan
Written by jupitreas on 13.12.2007 at 17:05
Sure, the album doesn't have the same 'edge' as the teen angst of "Downward Spiral" but that is a good thing.

Indeed, and he doesn't use the word "decay" once on the whole album! It's like he's turned a new leaf!
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
01.01.2008 - 22:56
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Year Zero is a good album...some tracks came on when I was at a darkwave/industrial/EMB fetish party last night and it sounded great...
09.01.2008 - 19:48
Hamird
Lieutenant
capital G is a great song from Year Zero ... but in entire discography of NIN i like the song ONLY ... that song is so great.
22.01.2008 - 11:39
vusza
Written by Guest on 01.01.2008 at 22:56

Year Zero is a good album...some tracks came on when I was at a darkwave/industrial/EMB fetish party last night and it sounded great...

The songs from Year Zero, -that you mentioned- were in a remixed/ ebm version? Some of them have remixes by ebm artists, such as Survivalism, by Velvet Acid Christ, much better than the original ones.
----
No guts, no glory.
23.01.2008 - 16:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well...I don't know that much about the album itself...not like I bought it or anything...all I know is that I enjoyed listening to it...
23.01.2008 - 21:26
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Am I the only one who thinks Trent sometimes sounds like a crossbreed between Dave Grohl and Anthony Kiedis? (on Year Zero, the first songs mostly, the only album I've heard)
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.02.2008 - 17:25
m3t4lh34d
Written by Lucas on 23.01.2008 at 21:26

Am I the only one who thinks Trent sometimes sounds like a crossbreed between Dave Grohl and Anthony Kiedis?

Yes.
15.02.2008 - 21:03
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by m3t4lh34d on 15.02.2008 at 17:25

Written by Lucas on 23.01.2008 at 21:26

Am I the only one who thinks Trent sometimes sounds like a crossbreed between Dave Grohl and Anthony Kiedis?

Yes.

Yeah, obviously.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.02.2008 - 02:13
m3t4lh34d
Well, I'll admit he does at times sound a bit like that in Year Zero. However he employs slightly different vocal styles on that album than he does on all of the others. The Downward Spiral is a better example of his typical vocals.
21.02.2008 - 10:18
Tracy Terrorist
Account deleted
Hello, I'm new to this forum I've been familiar with this website for quite some time, but just now decided to make an account. Anyhow, I was skimming through the posts in here I'll have to agree with some people that Year Zero was one of Reznor's less active or catchy albums, it took me awhile to listen to each track individually in order to actually get hooked to the songs. But like the majority of NIN fans, The Downward Spiral and Pretty Hate Machine has to be my two favorite albums out of all the ones I own (which is about 7 of them) Broken is up there on my top favorites as well

Just felt like putting my 2 cents in.
05.03.2008 - 23:58
LethargyMan
So yeah... Trent released another NIN album this week: Ghosts

http://ghosts.nin.com

It's a two-disc instrumental album (well... four EPs on two discs). It's okay... but I've already listened to his instrumental/ambient album (the Quake soundtrack) - the two are pretty similar actually. It's quite sparce at times, heavy at others, industrial & dancy now and again. Ghosts definately does have that Trent Reznor feel to it. It's not particularly groundbreaking or remarkable, since I've already been on Jamendo a couple of times, but it is by no means "bad".

I kinda regret jumping on the $17.00 CD set so early... still, it was an enjoyable listen.
----
08.03.2008 - 13:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Is it just me or has Nine Inch Nails really released too much stuff?
----

08.03.2008 - 19:27
ß
Problem?
Maybe just a little bit to much. Most of it sounds boring imo
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
11.03.2008 - 06:45
m3t4lh34d
I love Ghosts.

The artwork that was released is really neat, each of the 36 songs, across the four parts, has a corresponding picture.
11.03.2008 - 15:21
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
i love how the digital version displays the appropriate artwork with each song (in media players that support it)
14.03.2008 - 21:57
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
NIN kicks ass!!!!! I have the Fragile album.
14.03.2008 - 22:09
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Ghosts is pretty cool, it seems like Trent is a fan of Aphex Twin, who did a similar thing with his Selected Ambient Works Vol. II: untitled instrumental tracks with corresponding pictures. I'm glad he is also making a statement about future of online music business models, $1.6 million in paid and free downloads in a week, hope the recording industry is paying attention. Does anyone know if he is giving out the GarageBand files of this album for download?
17.03.2008 - 21:16
☭ Mr. S &#9773
Owner of the DSA
I only have Ghosts I, but i still think its great. Im gong to get the whole thing for my birthday.
----
Seize the weed of production!
05.05.2008 - 16:58
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
Nine Inch Nails has made its new ten-song, 44-minute minute album entitled "The Slip" available for free download at www.nin.com (free signup required). The new set includes the songs "Echoplex" and "Discipline" which were both posted online during the last couple of weeks ahead of the new album release.

"The Slip" tracklisting:

01. 999,999
02. 1,000,000
03. Letting You
04. Discipline
05. Echoplex
06. Head Down
07. Lights In The Sky
08. Corona Radiata
09. The Four Of Us Are Dying
10. Demon Seed
06.05.2008 - 06:04
LethargyMan
The Slip is possibly one of the most average albums I've ever heard.
----
10.05.2008 - 18:40
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
That man is really pumping out albums these days...I hope it's better than Ghosts...