Release date: January 2021

01. Cedar And Owls
02. Mourning Comes At Sunset
03. At The Foot Of The Red Mountains
04. Old Oak
05. Rotten Garden
06. Grom
07. Devotion To Lord [bonus]

Ever felt that exhilarating sensation when a strong, cold wind faces you head on and you take a deep breath? For most of the time, this album feels just like that.

Since their inception in 2014, Grima has been able to pump out albums on a regular 2-year interval, slowly but surely gaining momentum, which resulted in the Russian twin brothers getting a nomination in our Metal Storm Awards for Best Melodic Black Metal Album back in 2019 with Will Of The Primordial. Two years and a pandemic later, the duo is back, reminding us that nature holds a power that we can never attain.

The artwork with oak-masked figures looking down in deep contemplation and the somber album title (let's not forget one of the most gorgeous logos in the genre) make for an ideal starting point in describing this opus. Rotten Garden is melancholic black metal on the verge of flirting with DSBM but with a pagan cloak on top of it to keep it balanced. The album is often mid-paced, with great focus on beautiful melodies through energizing solos. Folk influences are hinted by well-placed acoustic passages, as well as some accordion that can be heard a couple of times throughout the record, giving the whole product a nostalgic feeling. But the sorrowful vibe of the album takes a more violent turn once the blizzards take the form of massive wall of riffs, vibrant keyboards and bombastic drumming.

None of these elements are more violent than the vocals though. Vilhelm gives an incredible performance, truly unleashing the unforgiving fury of a wounded Mother Earth. His high-pitched screams are ever so thunderous. When they are mixed with deep, bestial growls on top, Grima creates an atmosphere that is truly monstrous.

Rotten Garden pays homage to the elder woods in a loud manner that demands attention. The title track is definitely the main highlight on this record. At over 10 minutes, it's the longest track the duo has written so far. A solid proof that Grima has developed nicely in the songwriting department and further establishes itself as an act worth keeping tabs on.

Hear the cry of the woods, for it seeks revenge.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 04.03.2021 by A lazy reviewer but he is so cute you'd forgive him for it.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 139 users
04.03.2021 - 19:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good reviev, I feel same about it.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.03.2021 - 19:49
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I hope black metal never gets over its obsession with forests and nature.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.03.2021 - 08:40
Ball Fondlers

I've been listening to this one a lot. I'm really enjoying it and I still don't think it's really sunk in yet how good it could be. It's just my sort of Black Metal and the Russians do the accordion the best compared to anything else I've heard. Pathway is another good example of this. They are very similar to Grima, and have been around longer apparently, just by a year. But... who copied who?
06.03.2021 - 01:39
Dinruth

Written by RaduP on 04.03.2021 at 19:49

I hope black metal never gets over its obsession with forests and nature.

My sanity strongly depends on it
06.03.2021 - 13:27
DarkWingedSoul

Radu, have u considered moving out up in the mountains, forests... nature Good old Transylvania still has such magical places to offer
06.03.2021 - 14:59
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by DarkWingedSoul on 06.03.2021 at 13:27

Radu, have u considered moving out up in the mountains, forests... nature Good old Transylvania still has such magical places to offer

No
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
06.03.2021 - 16:43
DarkWingedSoul

07.04.2021 - 19:52
Rating: 9
DemonRises

Written by RaduP on 06.03.2021 at 14:59

Written by DarkWingedSoul on 06.03.2021 at 13:27

No
Damn... could you not give a shorter answer?
31.05.2021 - 08:54
no one

How is it that I have only just heard this, it is the perfect album for going in to winter over here, and im thinking it might be one of the best albums I've heard this year.
----
Unable to connect to the database
23.11.2022 - 02:51
Rating: 9
tintinb

Have been listening to grima for sometime now and every song evokes emotion, each one of them grows up on you. Indeed some skillful musicianship.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 2126 | This month: 4